Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bigger vans

Depending on layout the MAN TGE can have a much wider bed than the Cali. Ours is the Hillside Hopton and there’s plenty of room for two downstairs.
That's really interesting, I looked at the Hopton at the NEC show and was really impressed with it. How do you find it? Are you pleased with it?

I came to it from a Cali as we wanted something a little bigger and got fed up of climbing and descending in the middle of the night. It was a good decision for us, It’s just under 6 metres and easy enough to drive in town. All facilities within including oven, hob, shower and loo. Interior is well put together and the Hillside service has been good overall.

Hi Winston this may help you with a snapshot of what's available.
For a quality 4x4 based campervan of any decent quality you need to budget to spend 150k + however do you really need 4x4.
Increasingly popular in Europe as many off road routes are available but in the Uk where would you venture off road?
Also be mindful that 4x4 vehicles are expensive to maintain and have lower mpg.
Mercedes based vehicles are harder to convert due to body shape, offer less interior room than Fiat/Crafter of similar size and expensive to service, expect £1500 to service and replace all transmission oils.
So why is the Sprinter the go to vehicle, brand, customer loyalty and reputation for being the best of its type.
Sprinter has recently been updated to AWD rather than 4x4, the recently introduced FWD is being stopped, the RWD will continue.
In my opinion RWD is a better base vehicle than FWD, offers better traction unlike a car a RWD camper carries most of its weight over the rear wheels.
Thank you and really helpful.
I think we are ok with not having 4X4. My main driver for a bigger van is having ready made beds and a bit more room in general. I am not even that fussed about the kitchen or toilet - although suspect the latter will be more important for my kids when they get older!

If went down the Sprinter route then looks like approx. £90k is the going rate for a Free S - I just need to go look in one and then compare how more expensive vans feel. Hoping to get to Birmingham in a few weeks to take a look - just need to find some client meetings to have there to justify the work trip! :)

Back