Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack Rubbing

Richy

Richy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi folks,
Just returned from a trip to southern France in our beloved Beach (first time I’ve ventured past Birmingham).
I have a T6 van with the T5 style bike rack and had loaded it with 2 adult, 2 kids bikes, on my return to Scotland I noticed that on the bottom rhs of the rack it had rubbed against the van so much so that it rubbed into the metal ,
I’m having to have the top half of the tailgate repainted but was wondering which protective stickers I need from the forum shop ?
Are the stickers options for the van type or rack type ?

Oh and has anyone else had this problem, I’m a bit wary of putting the rack back on the van

6ECAA55D-AFB1-44B3-BBC4-70C346F88936.jpeg

Not the best of photos !

Struggling to see what you mean from the pic, I can see a black mark about 3" in and 3" up?
Do you have the protective clear patches in place when its mounted? If you do and they are in the right place I can't see how it would happen.

If the rack would rub it should be .5 inch above the lights no more. Can’t understand how it’s rubbed so high up??

Hi folks,
Just returned from a trip to southern France in our beloved Beach (first time I’ve ventured past Birmingham).
I have a T6 van with the T5 style bike rack and had loaded it with 2 adult, 2 kids bikes, on my return to Scotland I noticed that on the bottom rhs of the rack it had rubbed against the van so much so that it rubbed into the metal ,
I’m having to have the top half of the tailgate repainted but was wondering which protective stickers I need from the forum shop ?
Are the stickers options for the van type or rack type ?

Oh and has anyone else had this problem, I’m a bit wary of putting the rack back on the van

View attachment 36200

Not the best of photos
If the rack would rub it should be .5 inch above the lights no more. Can’t understand how it’s rubbed so high up??

Looks as though the rubbing has been from the top part of the black plastic, these a small bit of play on it, not 100% sure why though !!

C872956A-43A9-408B-8317-292AFB009A20.jpeg

28DBAD9D-B393-4BC9-B01B-499D50481C6F.jpeg

6A551097-2AFC-4144-80AA-5C60815D59B5.jpeg

Not sure if you are missing a pad off there. I'll check mine (Kylie on a T6)

There is a strip of rubber at the bottom of each foot, that makes the whole (of the rest of the) bracket stand off (away) from the paint.... By about 4mm. I'm not sure if I can see that strip on your photo (using my phone).

There is a strip of rubber at the bottom of each foot, that makes the whole (of the rest of the) bracket stand off (away) from the paint.... By about 4mm. I'm not sure if I can see that strip on your photo (using my phone).

There’s a rubber strip at the base of each foot on rack so I can’t understand why it would rub either.
The funny thing is, I have had the rack on the van for nearly 12 months and never noticed any issues.

The black 'feet' on mine do have some designed movement in them, but I didn't think it would be enough to allow it to sit so badly that it rubbed at the top, so I'm drawing a blank. Any other theories forum?

@paulscryer, I think you are showing the Quasimodo rack where the feet point inwards. (?). My Kylie has the feet pointing vertically almost so the damage does. Look in range if I'm seeing the photos correctly

I think your bike rack has taken a ding and been bent in towards the tailgate. Can you see any damage on that side?

Alan