Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Blue motion stop start

Handbook. Or just learn how to use it and avoid the Fines that many places plan on introducing.
Are you suggesting places plan on introducing fines for vehicles that have their "Start-Stop" functionality disabled or turned off?

Are you suggesting places plan on introducing fines for vehicles that have their "Start-Stop" functionality disabled or turned off?
Certain Councils already have Bye Laws that give them the capability to Fine motorists that leave their engine running when stationary outside schools and other designated areas.

Certain Councils already have Bye Laws that give them the capability to Fine motorists that leave their engine running when stationary outside schools and other designated areas.

Having read the article I'd class this as bordering on scare-mongering. Key words like "could" and "may" are in abundance in the report. The only council cited as fining motorists is Westminster City.

Considering Westminster Council has 1,990 streets and 600 miles of kerbside [data reference] the council has only issued 39 penalty charge notices for unnecessary engine idling since 2017!!

39 since 2017!!

Imagine how unlucky I'd need to be to drive to Westminster City, leave my car running [among the million or so other cars that pass through] and be #40

I'm never going to turn my nuisance Start-Stop off that's for sure.

EDIT: I hope @Loz doesn't read this thread. He'd be terrified Interpol will be knocking his door on account of the stop/start modules he may/ may not have had any involvement with ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Loz
It is exact home address details, not just the town/area. I don't think this is shared with other enquirers, imho it is simply data mining by the "club".

Tom
You are correct (I was surprised) for new registrations but older registrations don't seem to be required to be updated - I just changed my Status and no request for additional info made. You make me curious - I wonder why the need. I will Ask.

Having read the article I'd class this as bordering on scare-mongering. Key words like "could" and "may" are in abundance in the report. The only council cited as fining motorists is Westminster City.

Considering Westminster Council has 1,990 streets and 600 miles of kerbside [data reference] the council has only issued 39 penalty charge notices for unnecessary engine idling since 2017!!

39 since 2017!!

Imagine how unlucky I'd need to be to drive to Westminster City, leave my car running [among the million or so other cars that pass through] and be #40

As enforcement is practically impossible & fines a last resort, I guess we’re all reliant on people not tampering with bare minimum measures or being, well, Juan Kerrs.

Just to add to the debate, see the following.
Of interest is the telematics/technology side of this.
I already drive a vehicle for work with speed constantly monitored and infringements of speed limits (10%. + 2 mph for more than 20 seconds subject of disciplinary action) but the telematics also covers driving manner, fuel economy and idling time. Easily linked to gps to record idling in prohibited areas.
Next step would be telematics for all to gain insurance and big brother policing of emissions et al ( blue touch paper lit, stand back and observe):eek::Iamsorry

It is exact home address details, not just the town/area. I don't think this is shared with other enquirers, imho it is simply data mining by the "club".

Tom
Apparently it is so the club can send a letter of welcome and a Club Sticker to all new subscribers. I am sure there is nothing sinister going on.

Apparently it is so the club can send a letter of welcome and a Club Sticker to all new subscribers. I am sure there is nothing sinister going on.

Thanks for finding out and your assurance.

Tom

Back