Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Burner not working

laurentfox

laurentfox

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,
Recently the second burner (closest to the sink) has stopped working. If I hold it the dial down and put a lighter to the burner, a little bit of flame comes out but not enough to light. The first burner lights fine. I checked the feed underneath and nothing appears to have kinked the line. Any thoughts? Thanks!

mine does that if I spill water or other contaminants into the jets. They have to be thoroughly dried. I use my hairdryer, with the gas off of course.

mine does that if I spill water or other contaminants into the jets. They have to be thoroughly dried. I use my hairdryer, with the gas off of course.

Thanks GrannyJen, No spills on it, has been acting like this for several months (just an inconvenience, been using other burner). Very strange......

Got to be dirty or oxidaded inside so not enough gas can escape to burn high flame , my 50cent...
Those things need to be inspected regular base , things can go very wrong...

I've had this; I removed the disc on top by taking out the two screws. Inside, some residue had flaked off and was blocking the jet. (I think you need a Torx screwdriver.)

Hotel Cal,Motacyclist,
Thanks I took the copper top off and then the ridged cast iron thing below. Didn't see much oxidation but brushed it just the same. Put it back together, now the stove will light, very low flame but it stays lit. Won't go high. Could this also be a low propane tank issue. This is the burner furthest from the tank. The first burner is still going strong though. Thanks Laurent

Hotel Cal,Motacyclist,
Thanks I took the copper top off and then the ridged cast iron thing below. Didn't see much oxidation but brushed it just the same. Put it back together, now the stove will light, very low flame but it stays lit. Won't go high. Could this also be a low propane tank issue. This is the burner furthest from the tank. The first burner is still going strong though. Thanks Laurent
Sounds like you have disturbed something if it's improved slightly; try again and use a vacuum cleaner if you can

Is your gas getting low? Also the regulator could be clogged up. As a previous caravan owner I have experience of the regulators getting clogged up (google truma regulator problems). Don't know if this issue afflicts Cali owners (appears not) but the Cali regulator is very similar.

I would have thought if it was minimal gas in the bottle it would have affected the other burner by now.
Think I would see how low the gas is in the bottle
I check mine by ( disconnect ) shaking the bottle and listen for a sloshing sound
If no sound I would sugest it's as near as empty

Alan

Sounds like you have disturbed something if it's improved slightly; try again and use a vacuum cleaner if you can
I'll go ahead and give it once more clean over. Thanks Motacyclist!

Is your gas getting low? Also the regulator could be clogged up. As a previous caravan owner I have experience of the regulators getting clogged up (google truma regulator problems). Don't know if this issue afflicts Cali owners (appears not) but the Cali regulator is very similar.
Yes, the gas is very low, been using it for quite a while. I was going to replace the gas canister soon, but before I took the burner in to a shop. Will go ahead and do that now and see if it solves the problem. Thanks Marshian70!

I would have thought if it was minimal gas in the bottle it would have affected the other burner by now.
Think I would see how low the gas is in the bottle
I check mine by ( disconnect ) shaking the bottle and listen for a sloshing sound
If no sound I would sugest it's as near as empty

Alan

Alan, I'm pretty sure it's very low as I've been using it for 2 years now and it lifts up very easily, seems very light. Thanks! Laurent

Hi all, want to thank everyone for all the inputs, finally got it fixed. I started by replacing the gas bottle since the old one was near empty. That didn't do it but now I have a full bottle! I thin disassembled the gas burner. First I removed the copper colored plate with two torx screws. From there I could look down the middle at a pentagon shaped brass colored piece with a whole in the middle. When I compared this one to the burner that worked, I could clearly see it was most clogged. I then took a push pin and cored it out a little, removing the buildup. Presto, works like new. Thanks again for all the comments!

Glad you have solved your problem laurentfox :thumb
We all learn here from members experiances on solving their problems

Alan

Glad you have solved your problem laurentfox :thumb
We all learn here from members experiances on solving their problems

Alan
Thanks Alan, One of the great benefits of VW forum is the wealth of knowledge!

First I removed the copper colored plate with two torx screws.
Can anyone help me here, what size 'bit' do I need to remove the two torx screws? I can't find one small enough to fit :(

image.jpeg The one you need is a Torx T10. They usually come with a selection of other sizes, as shown. :)

Thanks - for some reason I couldn't get the T10 bits to fit though!! I will give it another go and report back if I have success !!

Mine is as small as Torx bits T6 (!).

Just to add a couple of things to this thread. Generally if one burner works fine and the other doesn't then more than likely it will be due to a blocked jet. To clean the jet DO NOT POKE ANYTHING INTO IT, it is soft made out of brass if you poke a needle into it you can easily enlarge the hole and end up with flames much bigger than they should be. Remove the jet, it just unscrews and boil it in a pan then brush it gently this will clean it.

The thermocouple was mentioned earlier in this thread, the tell tale sign that this is not working is that the burner will light but it will not stay in when you release the gas control.

Just to add a couple of things to this thread. Generally if one burner works fine and the other doesn't then more than likely it will be due to a blocked jet. To clean the jet DO NOT POKE ANYTHING INTO IT, it is soft made out of brass if you poke a needle into it you can easily enlarge the hole and end up with flames much bigger than they should be. Remove the jet, it just unscrews and boil it in a pan then brush it gently this will clean it.

The thermocouple was mentioned earlier in this thread, the tell tale sign that this is not working is that the burner will light but it will not stay in when you release the gas control.

Thank for everyone's advice - this is why I like the forum!!

I think I am almost there. Used a T6 bit to remove the plate, then a cross-head to remove whatever the other bit is called! Now I am faced with the filthy well! Presumably the little hexagonal bit in the centre (pictured) is the 'jet'? Sorry to be thick but I am proceeding with caution! Is this hexagonal 'what's-its-name' the thingy I should try to unscrew and clean?
qFYjLsaX5xZWaP_43Y2sPq3WZWOhRHvhwR6AbdR0OJ3OEFOptZKjAqJlorzaBKH6CvCR_xhVswiEQlCczFn8P1Qn3NgdppQU90K6GpMXbJBOpSIoGsgRFlS9JbzSIywh3aZcAVol5xhZsiMNRzXXrJkPBWFUwTRs7fcEYdJ2HHgLwaCIn22QjxOdS3y5W14pBagY-cHny-dZAFzdH_9k8kk6QI6aumBTlckEDaKPwtpzmLYIXebmCBxZYRsmU3UmnBUJ6WFl1PGXmu79KpsDHK6nwALuXqR0_Rhvb51JEGZTedOj47pY7CWi3CSiYnlPo02g4LR0GtberZtmYCaXjnx1iL2Cxgl-ISQHRJcfVIZREd1iomeL0cScX-SYd16MYHRweFriGCrA19i0CuFANHFGOGmGVfl8vv206s7er4w_jOqA3rDZ7dVu6Ek8hpN9EGijqrKhyIUkeJ4INpv_QeyOeAWWbHGbG7KEkEmYCLN1tAnyBmSK6PFuiWMQMGu5DTsMp0qoM54sgbk2TvUGtVhm10Ip3tTgjzr7t3DW84GbP_A1ZoI1uXysu_T0JrCPeaExXQ=w1248-h911-no

Thanks
Graham

Use a vacuum cleaner and a brush to remove the debris.
Then remove the jet in the center and boil it like someone said. Be very careful not to get particles or dust down in to the seat/hole were the jet now is removed.
Mount everything together and you are done!