Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Safari Chef 2 HP - Brilliant BBQ

G

gatvol

We had always struggled to find a decent compact bbq, until now.

Anything with coals is messy, takes time to heat up and may be banned at French campsites. The Cobb has fans, but is too messy and hard to clean imho.

For about 6 years we struggled on with a campingaz partygrill. But this simply did not get hot enough, had no lid and took ages to cook food on due to its poor design. There is a newer version now, but it did not match up to the Cadac.

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/barbe...8MPAjDqPLfz-WenUgz8ly8_U-DcBQs9xoCElsQAvD_BwE

The Cadac is faultless. It packs into a neat bag that is supplied with it. The gas heats a central disc in the griddle that means it gets hot enough and cooks evenly across the grill. The lid then gives the food a nice smokey flavour and greatly accelerates cooking time. It cooks in less than half the time of the partygrill.

It is non stick. It has a griddle to created charred lines on meat and also has a flat pan as well. It is easy to clean and only needs a sponge and washing up liquid.

The HP model (high pressure) is designed to have coleman screw thread cartridges attached directly to it so there is no need for a regulator or bulky cylinder. There is a LP version (low pressure) available too if you want to use it with the big gas cylinder inside your california.

Coleman cylinders are not as readily available in Europe as the campingaz click ones, but you can buy a small adaptor that converts click into the screw thread.

https://m.addnature.co.uk/244004.ht...4_pla&ef_id=WFBrTwAAATGcjRLt:20180618073526:s

Last edited:
I'm always whipping mine out - I use it more than the built in hobs!

Cadac is a great bit of kit. I would recommend the LP version, reason for that is that it can be used LP with big bottles and with an adapter with the HP cans too. Best of both worlds :)

They're great but our HP version goes from nothing-to-furnace in approximately 1mm of adjustment!

Great for slow grilling and making stews with.

I bought one last week - the HP version. Can’t wait to try it out! It’s really great how compact it is :thumb

Love mine, old version but as said above: just a great bbq!
b20a779d6395d01ce289d79a770b970e.jpg

Last edited:
Just got a LP version and looking forward to using it. Figured it would useful in the South of France where you’re not allowed a traditional BBQ and want to cook outside.

Does Anyone know if the griddle pans are dishwasher safe? Always had trouble getting mine properly clean

I was swaying towards the new party grill 400 has anyone got experience of using both? (The latest versions). Thanks

Does Anyone know if the griddle pans are dishwasher safe? Always had trouble getting mine properly clean
I have put ours in the dishwasher but it was too big to go in sideways like a plate and had to be put in flat. I do have to say that it wasn’t really all that successful, I can get it cleaner in the sink using a pan scrub. If it has a lot of burnt on mess I soak it in the sink with really hot water and about a tablespoon of biological washing powder for about half an hour before I start scrubbing. It really does help. Obviously I only do this at home!

Disaster with mine this weekend. New Hp adapter had a leak and melted the bottom of the cadac wrecking it.
4eb00e336ba0e424d876a10900807a15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disaster with mine this weekend. New Hp adapter had a leak and melted the bottom of the cadac wrecking it.
4eb00e336ba0e424d876a10900807a15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WowAre you okay Matt?! Hopefuly nothing seriously happend to you guys!

Thanks, yes no-one hurt or harmed just our pride :)

The cadac started smoking after about 30 seconds, which seemed out of character, so I looked underneath to see flames coming out of the pipe. Turned off gas immediately but the plastic melted and continued to burn for a little while. As you can see it then fell apart. :(

Sad as I loved the cadac, I've also written to Cadac to ask about any resolution as the HP adapter was brand new and the pipe must have been split from new. I am hoping they sort it but if not I believe you can just buy a burner on it's own.

Yes, it was an en417 adapter yes, cadac branded purchased from a go outdoors. Used to convert an LP cadac to work with the HP small cans. As we use those cans in our slidepod it seemed a great way to minimise the gas we carry. Kind of minimised it more dramatically than we expected ;) :talktothehand haha

Yes, it was an en417 adapter yes, cadac branded purchased from a go outdoors. Used to convert an LP cadac to work with the HP small cans. As we use those cans in our slidepod it seemed a great way to minimise the gas we carry. Kind of minimised it more dramatically than we expected ;) :talktothehand haha

I think you should, in the first instance, contact the retailer not the manufacturer, and you should be aiming for a replacement Safari Chef, a replacement adaptor and a replacement gas canister.

Tell the retailer that you would like a written report from the manufacturer of the result of their investigation. This will sharpen minds and ensure that they take the matter seriously, and don't try to fob you off in the first instance. Make sure you have a receipt for the retuned damaged goods.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Good call, I will do that. Its a tough one as the cadac was well out of warranty but the hose was brand new and used for the first time. Thanks.