Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Safari Chef 2 HP - Brilliant BBQ

Disaster with mine this weekend. New Hp adapter had a leak and melted the bottom of the cadac wrecking it. va

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh dear!

Has anyone used both the new Party Grill 400 and this? The party grills main advantage seems to be an extra grill and a wind deflector when in hob mode. The disadvantage is that the HP version uses expensive camping gas cylinders

Good call, I will do that. Its a tough one as the cadac was well out of warranty but the hose was brand new and used for the first time. Thanks.

Just to have in your back pocket:
As per The Consumer Rights Act 2015, consumers are entitled to a repair or replacement or refund where goods are faulty.
If the fault occurs after six months, the consumer has to prove that the problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse.
Under the Statutes of Limitations law, consumers have this right for six years in England and for five years in Scotland.

@Amarillo is spot on in that you should ask for an investigation to keep everyone keen. Things could have been a lot worse but thankfully they weren't. Good luck! S

I have a cadac too and it’s brilliant however during this weekends outing it took longer and longer to ignite. Changed the bottle, checked connections, many many clicks later it started. It’s making me a tad anxious as it’s relatively new and I don’t want it to pop whilst up close.

I have a cadac too and it’s brilliant however during this weekends outing it took longer and longer to ignite. Changed the bottle, checked connections, many many clicks later it started. It’s making me a tad anxious as it’s relatively new and I don’t want it to pop whilst up close.

Our ignition stopped working after the first few uses. We use a gas lighter.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Mine stopped working I just moved the piezo igniter closer with a gentle bend and it worked fine after.

Mine stopped working I just moved the piezo igniter closer with a gentle bend and it worked fine after.

Agree. Although in my case I had to move it further away. If you're in a darkish room you'll see the spark and get the distance right

We've had it 13 or 14 months. Apart from the ignition it has worked flawlessly. And it has been used a lot.

Any suggestions re. a good cadac windbreak? Not the atypical windbreaks, big bulky affairs or the standard stove ones that are not quite tall enough. Something reasonably lightweight, approx 500-600mm high.

I’m considering the party gas 400 as it’s got a wind break. I’d love a comparison of the two!

I think I need to go to go outdoors give them both a good prod and compare build quality

We've got the small Cadac safari which was given to us as a present a few years ago. We use it quite a bit in the summer with a smaller size Camping Gaz cylinder (904 rather than 907), which is handy as a back-up cylinder for the indoor cooker if we are away from possible replacement sources.

The Cadac Safari Grill does have a design flaw. The ignition electrode is quite exposed to damage and does not have a protective cage around it. It is possible to knock it when packing the cooker away or when setting it up.

This little electrode/ bit of wire is easily bent back in place though.

But when you see how well it cooks, it is an irrelevance. If one day you need to use a lighter, the quality of the cooking more than makes up for it.

I have just been in France with mine. Both the flat top and the griddle top cook superbly. It is having a lid that makes all the difference. Food cooks so much quicker and more evenly

"Amarillo, post: 288793, member: 11232"]You can buy a quick release gas connector for the LP version. The legs won't fold in with it fitted, but just drill 1cm holes in legs 1 & 2 and it will fold up nicely.

No need for this now on later Cadacs as they come with a nice blue screw turner which is vey easy to use when connecting gas hose
This bbq is the best ever and agree it is the number one accessory for a campervan

The party grill is a excellent (and cheaper) alternative! Also has a water section to collect the fat so its very easy cleaning, although, the cadac is also excellent! Think this one cost me about £65Screenshot_20180706-124817_Chrome.jpg

A little update, Cadac have replaced my whole base unit. :D They asked me a few times if I had done a leak test on the new regulator, but as it was new to be honest I hadn't considered it faulty.

Their instructions also state to do a leak test if there is a leak, I made the point that as I didn't smell gas and heard no escape of gas I expected nothing. In our email exchange we discussed that a leak test should be carried out each time and its certainly something I will do every time from now on. I suggested their instructions should be amended.

A gas safe engineer colleague at work when discussing this said he is always surprised that we can just buy lpg etc. Apparently in a gas emergency the risk of LPG type gas igniting is twice that of natural gas, because it is heavier than air and sinks down so you are also unlikely to smell it. :eek:

Food for thought. Do those leak tests on your gas devices regularly :)

A little update, Cadac have replaced my whole base unit. :D They asked me a few times if I had done a leak test on the new regulator, but as it was new to be honest I hadn't considered it faulty.

Their instructions also state to do a leak test if there is a leak, I made the point that as I didn't smell gas and heard no escape of gas I expected nothing. In our email exchange we discussed that a leak test should be carried out each time and its certainly something I will do every time from now on. I suggested their instructions should be amended.

A gas safe engineer colleague at work when discussing this said he is always surprised that we can just buy lpg etc. Apparently in a gas emergency the risk of LPG type gas igniting is twice that of natural gas, because it is heavier than air and sinks down so you are also unlikely to smell it. :eek:

A couple of months ago there was a fire in the village I work, a gas bbq with faulty hose to blame lit up like a blowtorch, took out 2 1/2 houses. Scary.

Wow, only want a morning bacon butty!! How do you do leak test ls?

You can use soapy water like you would on bike puncture, or you can buy a little aerosol of leak testing spray which I think I will opt for for ease of use.

Our ignition stopped working after the first few uses. We use a gas lighter.

Just bought one of these and worked ok when we tested it when it arrived. Just used it tonight for the first cooking session and the piezo wouldn’t work so had to use a lighter.

I’ve just been examining it and the piezo would produce a nice big fat spark if it was held near a metallic object, but would not work on the burner no matter how close I moved it. I suspected that the burner wasn’t earthing properly so unscrewed it and the bracket that held the electrode and gave it all a good scrape to make sure there was a good connection. This did no good and had me stumped, but I discovered that the electrode would spark to the burner if it wasn’t earthed! So I removed the banjo shaped earthing plate and replaced the burner and hey presto - success! See picture below, you can see the earthing plate has been swung to one side in case I need it in the future.

(The black nut is what the burner screws on to and appears to be made of some non conducting material.)

B929BC60-27DC-42F3-BF69-1DBB73C01870.jpeg

A little update, Cadac have replaced my whole base unit. :D
That’s reassuring.

Before they did this, did you consider using the upper part of the Cadac on a normal gas burner (BBQ in the house!) or one of those cheap gas stoves £10 - 15?

Thought this thread was the best place to ask so here goes. looking at buying a Safari Chef 2 today (I have Carri Chef 2 which is amazing but is a bit big and a faff for just the 4 of us.)

I know you can stick the EN417 cartridges onto an LP version (I have a CADAC power pack) but it would be nice to be able to do that WITHOUT having to have a hose connection.

Does anyone know if there’s a ‘collar/adapter’ which would enable you to connect the EN417 cartridge straight onto the bottom of the LP Safari Chef?

That would give me the option of LP and HP but without the hose. If I buy an HP version I don’t think you can stick an LP cylinder (907) on that without changing the flam-ie bits/jets, can you?

I run a Slidepod ultra in my Beach which also runs off EN417s so it’s also quite convenient to just have one type - given that EN417’s are a European standard - are they readily available in Europe? if so I may just buy the HP version.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I’m talking about the threaded variety)

Lots of questions - sorry about that!
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk