Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Beach Attack in Cheltenham

There is no book price !!! it works like this your insurance company passes your claim to an independent engineer he looks at the damage and if he feels its a write off which in your case he will ( in your case all the locks and ecu. will need to be replaced that will push it over the edge, all write offs are recorded as a catorgy D which means is Not cost effected to repair the log book will be retained by the insurance company and passed back to the DVLA anyone buying the salvage has to re apply for a log book in most cases you will get a letter from the DVLA within a week from some back street garage who have bought it and will offer it for sale, it the case of our stolen /recovery car was back on the road within 2 weeks

That's why its important for you to keep the vehicle and store it at your cost they will pressure you to let them remove it to there storage place in my case 80 miles away , so keep hold of the car and log book until a deal is done ( that way you hold all the cards )
All the engineer will do is look at 3 cars on the internet and take the av. price and will base his offer which of course you turn down then its up to you to look around and find vehicles in the price range you will except

Our stolen car I insisted it was repaired by the dealer and all genuine parts to be used , if you check your insurance policy in most cases it says they can use s/h useable parts so if you insist on VW repairing it will be written off

In our case

Our vehicle valued at 13k

Repair was 8k but then the insurance company insisted lock and ecu change making 11k

Paid me out £13k and then sold the salvage for £7k which was back on the road in two weeks
so all it cost the insurance company was £6k

So if you look at doing the repair yourself and you still have the V5 keys and the vehicle under your control
Get you own estimate for the repairs to put it back to how it was using VW parts , have a copy of this for the engineer when he looks at the vehicle, just remember that the company will want a discount on the parts

Wait for there offer but they will be keen to get hold of the salvage to re coop there losses so the offer they make you should include you keeping the vehicle , that's why keep the V5 in your name no changes to the V5 and no Class D

Then you can decide to repair it yourself and with some new and reusable parts you will be able to get back on the road ASAP and you are in control

The main question is there is nothing body wise or mechanical side you are aware off , I see on flea bay someone breaking a damaged T6 with rear end damage all the parts like electrics will be difficult for them to sell so it leaves you to buy a new seat

hope this makes sence you should come out on the right side

PS please make sure you install an approved alarm

Hi John Guppy - that information is very important and i am grateful for taking the time to explain your experience. I am in negotiations with the insurers who have made a low offer to write it off. I would like to get it back on the road and buy back the salvage, but i would like to chat with you about my tactics. I have no idea what the salvage value might be. Can we PM on this site - many thanks Tim

Hi John Guppy - that information is very important and i am grateful for taking the time to explain your experience. I am in negotiations with the insurers who have made a low offer to write it off. I would like to get it back on the road and buy back the salvage, but i would like to chat with you about my tactics. I have no idea what the salvage value might be. Can we PM on this site - many thanks Tim
Hi Tim, you do need to be a VIP member to enable Private Messages. Good luck with your claim.

Simply horrible @CALI FATE. We are still "working" with our insurance, to get the rest value we lost in the accident that wrecked our T5.1 in 2016. I really feel for you. Hope You are on the road again soon …

I use one of those steering locks like we used to use on our golf gti and Peugeot 205 from the 90s. I know it doesn't prevent scum from setting fire to your seat but I like to think the visual deterrent is enough to make the one cell in their brain think it's not worth it.
A friend found these recently, very good apparently for the cost.
$_35.JPG

I assume they could be used on other pedals too.

... all write offs are recorded as a catorgy D which means is Not cost effected to repair the log book will be retained by the insurance company and passed back to the DVLA anyone buying the salvage has to re apply for a log book ...

... that's why keep the V5 in your name no changes to the V5 and no Class D...

John, a lot of what you have stated is very useful, however there are some errors related to the quoted extracts above, which I believe need to be corrected to ensure that others have the correct information.

To give some background to show that I do know the facts; earlier this year my car was side swiped by an undertaker on the motorway with the result that my car was written off. The other driver didn't stop or report to the police, however I had dashcam footage and the insurance claim ended up 100% in my favour. Like you I have lost faith in the police, who wouldn't follow up on the other driver with careless/dangerous or failing to stop/report collision.

I decided to accept the car car at salvage value, repaired it myself and I'm continuing to drive it. Note that once an vehicle is classified as category C or D (see below), the MOT is no longer valid and the vehicle will need to be re-tested to be road legal. Most insurance companies will insure these vehicles (but please check with your specific insurer), also do note that future claims will be based upon the revised value of the vehicle (usually 50% of a non cat C or D).

The facts that I'd like to correctly advise others of are these:
1) Not all write off's are recorded as category D, they can be A,B, C or D where categories A and B are damaged so badly they’ll never be legally allowed back on the roads, however category C & D are vehicles that have been written off but can be repaired and returned to the road. The difference between these categories is defined by the cost of repairs compared to the pre-accident value of the car. If the cost of making a car roadworthy exceeds its value, it is a Cat C; if less, it’s a Cat D, with the insurance assessor determining the categorisation.

In my case my car was deemed category C (it was a low value car), however after a professional full wheel alignment check (and before any work was done) to prove no misalignment, I could have safely driven it without any repairs at all because all of the damage was superficial.

2) Keeping the V5 has no bearing on the category classification because the insurance company is legally obliged to inform the DVLA and a marker will permanently added to their records and it is not possible to change this. Therefore when you come to sell the vehicle anyone performing a vehicle check will be made aware of the categorisation applied. Selling on Autotrader for example will also highlight this as well. Keeping the original paper copy would allow a seller to dupe someone via a cash private sale to someone that didn't do their own check on purchase and/or to sell the vehicle very quickly before the DVLA have added the marker and therefore initially hiding the write off state. However once the buyer receives their new V5 it will be stated on their V5 anyway, so keeping the V5 is of very limited use to law abiding people.
Please note that prior to October 2015 all Cat A, B & C vehicles required a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) before a V5 would be issued, however after this date, a VIC is no longer required and V5's are now freely available for Cat C & D vehicle owners.

"The other driver didn't stop or report to the police, however I had dashcam footage and the insurance claim ended up 100% in my favour. Like you I have lost faith in the police, who wouldn't follow up on the other driver with careless/dangerous or failing to stop/report collision."
Obviously the police are now far to busy/uninterested in prosecuting the little charmers who hit and run even when there is HD visual evidence of the offence often with GPS identifying exactly where and when the crash took place. Going to hell in a hand cart?

"Obviously the police are now far to busy/uninterested in prosecuting the little charmers who hit and run even when there is HD visual evidence of the offence often with GPS identifying exactly where and when the crash took place. Going to hell in a hand cart?

Exactly, I raised an official police complaint and was told that the reason was lack of police resource, however they weren't too underresourced to recently attend a neighbour's party twice one evening to tell them to keep the noise down even though it wasn't loud!
My view is that either the police are lazy, only following up on easy wins or that they are corrupt, as from my experience that can be the only two reasons.

Just to clarify vehicle categories and the VIC.

Pre October 2015 there were also additional categories, e.g. F for fire damaged vehicles and it was possible to repair any vehicle of any categorisation prior to this date and once a VIC was completed a new V5 could be issued. At that time the original V5 was cancelled once declared with a category designation, hence why you had to hand over the V5 to the insurance company. However since this date, a VIC is no longer available and only Cat C & D vehicles can be repaired and MOT'd ready to be used on the road again.

The VIC checks, introduced in 2003, were designed to stop criminals ringing cars; swapping the identity of cars bound for the scrapyard with a stolen vehicle of a similar make and model. However the process was declared a flop as after 10 years and around a million checks made, it only resulted in a handful of positive results.

Stephen Hammond said at the time:
'It’s clear the scheme isn’t doing its job and it is hitting honest motorists in the wallet. The VIC scheme is nothing more than unnecessary red tape, which is why we are getting rid of it.'

The major problem with the VIC was that it didn't check quality of the repair, it was only concerned with checking the vehicle references (VIN, engine number) matched the paperwork (MOT, V5).

I am genuinely sorry for you. So angry too. I'm sick of this place...

Mate of mine spent 75k on a motorhome, had a tracker fitted etc etc.

Stolen off his drive, tracker company located it and informed police.
Next thing Police called saying it's located inside a large travellers site and they won't attend to recover as it may lead to 'serious disorder', 'resources etc etc'

He told his insurers who said we will pay out new for old and we will chase the police, I repeat the police for your excess, which the police paid!

Mate wrote to MP, Chief Constable etc etc. usual platitudes.

Non taxpaying villains 1 Honest lifelong taxpayers Nil.

Rule Brittania!

Mate of mine spent 75k on a motorhome, had a tracker fitted etc etc.

Stolen off his drive, tracker company located it and informed police.
Next thing Police called saying it's located inside a large travellers site and they won't attend to recover as it may lead to 'serious disorder', 'resources etc etc'

He told his insurers who said we will pay out new for old and we will chase the police, I repeat the police for your excess, which the police paid!

Mate wrote to MP, Chief Constable etc etc. usual platitudes.

Non taxpaying villains 1 Honest lifelong taxpayers Nil.

Rule Brittania!
Did you hear the story on the news this week about the group of travellers who took up residence in a hospital car park as one of their number was having heart surgery? £15 per day to ordinary hospital visitors. The authorities put a rope fence round them and allowed them to stay free of charge. Most peculiar. Perhaps I should try it next time my dad gets taken into hospital .....

John, a lot of what you have stated is very useful, however there are some errors related to the quoted extracts above, which I believe need to be corrected to ensure that others have the correct information.

To give some background to show that I do know the facts; earlier this year my car was side swiped by an undertaker on the motorway with the result that my car was written off. The other driver didn't stop or report to the police, however I had dashcam footage and the insurance claim ended up 100% in my favour. Like you I have lost faith in the police, who wouldn't follow up on the other driver with careless/dangerous or failing to stop/report collision.

I decided to accept the car car at salvage value, repaired it myself and I'm continuing to drive it. Note that once an vehicle is classified as category C or D (see below), the MOT is no longer valid and the vehicle will need to be re-tested to be road legal. Most insurance companies will insure these vehicles (but please check with your specific insurer), also do note that future claims will be based upon the revised value of the vehicle (usually 50% of a non cat C or D).

The facts that I'd like to correctly advise others of are these:
1) Not all write off's are recorded as category D, they can be A,B, C or D where categories A and B are damaged so badly they’ll never be legally allowed back on the roads, however category C & D are vehicles that have been written off but can be repaired and returned to the road. The difference between these categories is defined by the cost of repairs compared to the pre-accident value of the car. If the cost of making a car roadworthy exceeds its value, it is a Cat C; if less, it’s a Cat D, with the insurance assessor determining the categorisation.

In my case my car was deemed category C (it was a low value car), however after a professional full wheel alignment check (and before any work was done) to prove no misalignment, I could have safely driven it without any repairs at all because all of the damage was superficial.

2) Keeping the V5 has no bearing on the category classification because the insurance company is legally obliged to inform the DVLA and a marker will permanently added to their records and it is not possible to change this. Therefore when you come to sell the vehicle anyone performing a vehicle check will be made aware of the categorisation applied. Selling on Autotrader for example will also highlight this as well. Keeping the original paper copy would allow a seller to dupe someone via a cash private sale to someone that didn't do their own check on purchase and/or to sell the vehicle very quickly before the DVLA have added the marker and therefore initially hiding the write off state. However once the buyer receives their new V5 it will be stated on their V5 anyway, so keeping the V5 is of very limited use to law abiding people.
Please note that prior to October 2015 all Cat A, B & C vehicles required a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) before a V5 would be issued, however after this date, a VIC is no longer required and V5's are now freely available for Cat C & D vehicle owners.
Just a bit of updated info. relating to Categories as they will change next month, October.
Like most things that you think you know some bright spark goes and changes it.

To Quote>>

That means the current Cat A, Cat B, Cat C and Cat D classes will be replaced with the following:

Cat A: Scrap
Cat B: Break
Cat S: Structurally damaged repairable
Cat N: Non-structurally damaged repairable

Just a bit of updated info. relating to Categories as they will change next month, October.
Like most things that you think you know some bright spark goes and changes it.

To Quote>>

That means the current Cat A, Cat B, Cat C and Cat D classes will be replaced with the following:

Cat A: Scrap
Cat B: Break
Cat S: Structurally damaged repairable
Cat N: Non-structurally damaged repairable
Thanks for the update.

Initially I thought, why change this but it makes sense, because the new categories now indicate the type of damage rather than the cost of repairs in relation to the vehicle value. The current categorisation means that a structural damaged high value car would be repaired and put back on the road, whereas a lower value car with the same damage wouldn't be repaired. These revised codes should at least alert buyers of the seriousness of original damage.

I was curious about this and have found piece of info from the code of practice document that means some stolen recovered vehicles and classic cars are exempt from categorisation as quoted below:
'Some vehicles will remain outside of this code, for example stolen recovered vehicles with no or minimal damage.
It is recognised that some historic/ classic vehicles or vehicles of special interest may be repaired irrespective of extent
of damage, providing it is safe to do so. In these cases the vehicle will fall outside the Code of Practice, which will not apply.'

Yes agree after realising that the spurious financial criteria that was currently applied meant nothing in physical terms.

Tim, did you get a satisfactory outcome in the end? Your experience has made me rethink my thoughts on Gap insurance.

Tim, did you get a satisfactory outcome in the end? Your experience has made me rethink my thoughts on Gap insurance.
Hi - i have struggled with the insurers not to write the van off but they are not having any of it - they have written it off as a category D write off - it might be a mad gamble, but i have just agreed a value for the written off van ..... and negotiated a value for the salvage. I have decided to buy it back and repair and restore the van myself. Its impossible to find a T6 Beach for under £40k and the thought of ordering a new one with a 9 month wait, increased prices and the new government tax hit is just not an option. I always intended to keep the van so i am not too concerned about residuals, and i just hope i can rid the van safely of the smell and the carcinogenic threat from the smoke damage ...... allegedly

Thank you for the update @CALI FATE
Your experience has been awful, and the insurance company, who should put you back to the position you were in have failed to come up with a satisfactory amount. Have you taken it to the ombudsman?
I hope your plan comes through, but it doesn't negate the fact that you are out of pocket because of the actions of the b@$±+®d$ who did this, compounded the intransigence of your insurers.
All the best.

Back from the flames - we picked up our written off Beach on Friday after nearly 2 months off the road - we decided to buy back the salvage from the insurers and get the repairs done ourselves. The physical repairs included the broken ignition wiring and surround and replacing the trim around the passenger seatbelt pillar which were completed well and efficiently by Ed Gibbs Lister Droitwich.

The burnt through passenger seat is being sent off to Kernow Transporters who reckon they can salvage and rebuild the seat for me - that would be amazing.

Listers have cleaned up the inside of the van, and dealt with the smoke smell - i would say they have managed to get it back to 95% original with their normal valet / cleaning kit. The smell has almost gone, and unless you were looking for evidence, the inside is pretty much back to pre-fire condition.

We went to a party on Friday evening and stayed in the van - it felt very nice and comfortable, and no smell of smoke.

When driving there is a hint of smoke smell coming in from the ventilation system, but hardly noticeable.

We have organised a specialist 'detailer' to tackle the last 5% with steam cleaner and tornador machine - he is confident he can bring the inside back to new, and refresh the ventilation system and rid the van of any smoke smell

It was a gamble taking on a category D write off, but i hope it will pay off in time. We had always intended on keeping the van long term and having lots of adventures together - and i hope we we can put this unpleasant adventure behind us and get back to having fun with our big IMG_4136.JPG yellow friend

How nice.

I really hope it all works out well for you and you have many, many happy times in it.

Jen

i hope we we can put this unpleasant adventure behind us and get back to having fun with our big View attachment 26318 yellow friend
I'm so pleased to hear that your dear cali is back in action. I was really upset to hear your story - those animals have no respect for property, but even worse people's feelings. We not only invest a lot of money but also love into our campers, and what they did was just spiteful and deeply unpleasant. I hope you have many, many happy years in your yellow chum.

It will be interesting to see what the final repair bill is. It may well prove that the insurers are too quick to write off rather than repair, which costs them and, in turn, us.
All the best with the Phoenix Cali.

Well done Cali Fate. Really pleased to see you back on the road.

Happy days. :thumb

Well done Cali Fate. Really pleased to see you back on the road.

Happy days. :thumb
Thanks fella - i included your research with my proof of value statement - and this helped me to get a reasonable offer from the insurers.

Back