Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali beach roof

R

Rich_vw_beach

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
Hi, have just got a 1year old beach tour,
Was having a look up at the roof as it creaks when the van is driving and noticed three holes filled with silicon on each side near the front… is that normal / factory ?

Any tips on stopping the creaks l? It’s Driving me mad

TIA
2D536C1D-DB89-4CA2-9A7D-C9D2EA4D0DFB.jpegBeach

They're normal...

Not sure about the creaking though!! Maybe the awning?

They're normal...

Not sure about the creaking though!! Maybe the awning?
Ok thanks, wonder what those holes are for?’

Not awning, my van didn’t come with one…creaks right at the front above the windscreen

Does it sound like interior trim creaking or a rubber type creak?
maybe the pop top rubber is rubbing on contact with the main part of the vehicle as the chassis flexes - you could pop the roof up a cm or so and drive really slowly somewhere safe to see if it stops. windscreens also sometimes creak if they’ve been replaced & aren’t sited correctly. (Really common problem with older Porsche 911’s)

A good way to locate noises is get a passenger (not your other half unless you’re divorce-curious) to listen through a piece of garden hose, moving the other end around to pinpoint the sound as a sort of stethoscope, sounds odd but it works. Sometimes.

I located a buzzing noise doing this - it was a loose tweeter fitting in the A Pillar. Good luck.

Ok thanks, wonder what those holes are for?’

Not awning, my van didn’t come with one…creaks right at the front above the windscreen
I would assume that the roof panel is the same for all Californias and the holes are there for the hydraulic mechanism when it’s an Ocean. Wouldn’t have hurt VW to come up with a more professional way of blanking redundant holes!

maybe the pop top rubber is rubbing on contact with the main part of the vehicle as the chassis flexes - you could pop the roof up a cm or so and drive really slowly somewhere safe to see if it stops. windscreens also sometimes creak if they’ve been replaced & aren’t sited correctly. (Really common problem with older Porsche 911’s)

A good way to locate noises is get a passenger (not your other half unless you’re divorce-curious) to listen through a piece of garden hose, moving the other end around to pinpoint the sound as a sort of stethoscope, sounds odd but it works. Sometimes.

I located a buzzing noise doing this - it was a loose tweeter fitting in the A Pillar. Good luck.
Yes it sounds like the roof rubbing at the contact point at the front, definitely related to the body flexing as it’s worse on bumps & corners.
Will try driving it slowly with the latch released to confirm it’s the front seal
Thanks

I tried putting Vaseline on the seals at the front, that has greatly reduced the creak but it still there a bit on the left hand side

“A good way to locate noises is get a passenger (not your other half unless you’re divorce-curious)...”

Thank you for this hilarious turn of phrase.

I tried putting Vaseline on the seals at the front, that has greatly reduced the creak but it still there a bit on the left hand side
Just a note : Vasoline on rubber : Vasoline breaks the rubber down over time Due to it being a petroleum based product (rubber does not like it )

best to use is :Silicone grease or spray, Silicone will soften rubber and restore it to new condition

A cheaper silicone spray is made by Holts and is available readily from motor factors it’s very good, specifically designed for rubber ( but any silicone spray / grease will be fine)

0D12FD78-C81B-4481-9B15-D37DE450E8FF.jpeg

Hi, have just got a 1year old beach tour,
Was having a look up at the roof as it creaks when the van is driving and noticed three holes filled with silicon on each side near the front… is that normal / factory ?

Any tips on stopping the creaks l? It’s Driving me mad

TIA
View attachment 95501Beach
Sounds exactly like my creaking noice in my 2022 beach.

Back