Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Ocean T6 colours to avoid for resale

R

rrollins

Vehicle
Looking to buy
And finally for my last newbie question, what are the Cali Ocean T6 colours to avoid for resale purposes.

I know a lot of this is subjective and colours are complex but I was thinking:
-Candy White
-Cherry Red
-Starlight Blue
-the rest seem fine - right?

Thanks for your responses this evening.

The only colours I would not buy are the really dark colours like black or dark blue all other colours would be considered if the vehicle spec is what I wanted, white and cherry red would be fine!

Colour choice is hugely subjective. Second guessing for resale is a lottery. Just buy what you like. I believe resale will go on spec rather than colour. We've all owned a second car in a colour that we'd never have speced (or is it just me)?

We have only just got our first Cali. It is indeed Starlight Blue and we love it. We didn't chose the colour - it was from stock but had our exact spec. Assume your suggestion that it wouldn't be a popular colour is due to being a darker colour and therefore being a bit hotter in the summer? Hoping we haven't made a mistake - we just loved the colour (and wanted to avoid looking like a van).

Last edited:
The only colours I would not buy are the really dark colours like black or dark blue all other colours would be considered if the vehicle spec is what I wanted, white and cherry red would be fine!
We love our Calis and probably clean them more than our cars.
Dark colours are harder to keep clean, especially black, they also show up any tiny scratches far more readily than a lighter colour, not to mention they have greater solar gain than lighter colours...
Clearer colours for me each time....

Mine is grey/natural grey. I couldn't choose (2nd hand) however I really like it: not (too) fancy and sometimes you can not see the difference between the Cali and the "dirt". Perfect for me.

Mine is grey/natural grey. I couldn't choose (2nd hand) however I really like it: not (too) fancy and sometimes you can not see the difference between the Cali and the "dirt". Perfect for me.
Haha - I empathise with this. I have a grey car - never needs washing. ;)

We have only just got our first Cali. It is indeed Starlight Blue and we love it. We didn't chose the colour - it was from stock but had our exact spec. Assume your suggestion that it wouldn't be a popular colour is due to being a darker colour and therefore being a bit hotter in the summer? Hoping we haven't made a mistake - we just loved the colour (and wanted to avoid looking like a van).

Don't give it a second thought, there are no bad spec choices IMO. There are as many opinions as there are options, just enjoy using it - certainly won't be hard to sell if the need ever arises.

The original bays and splits and T2.5s and 3s were yellows greens baby blues orange DS brown and reds - IMO the current colours are terribly drab and boring ........ if you are drab and boring go with it - i say be bold - this will be attractive in the second hand market - me i wont be selling my yellow Beach

Not in a thousend year i will be thinking about resale value when chosing any verhicle and options whatever.
It would be like looking at the menu on a five star restaurant thinking : how will that dish come out when i trow up afther i eat it....? Pretty silly imo. you buy what you like not what others want.

aggree very subjective.

Candy White
-Cherry Red
-Starlight Blue

your avoid colours would be on MY list of likes

Buy want you want----. Well looked after inside and out will be a winner over not my 1st choice of colour not cared for ----- So I may not use my van this weekend to keep the millage down and keep is value up.

Having had quite a few white VW vans, (including an incredibly versatile VW T5 Multivan 4 Motion manual with Diff lock) we really wanted a brighter colour. The Tornado Red, Cherry Red, the new brighter Yellow were all on our list. What we got was Shadow Blue Metallic. (with blue/grey upholstery) Second hand so couldn't really choose. And completely happy with it. In the sun it really does 'sparkle'. There are so few Cali's in NZ that if a good one comes up,and you've been looking a few years,you grab it. And yes,dark colours show the dirt more, but we don't mind.

I think (subjective ... that is, subjective what I think not that I think ... maybe) that Starlight Blue looks terrific. I first saw one in the Netherlands while on holiday and it looked really smart in an 'executive' kind of way. I've spec'd Acapulco Blue because I want the van to remind me of the beach (what a ropey theory) but each colour has its appeal. I'm wary of the darker colours because of scratches and heat in the summer but no doubt they look terrific.

Having had quite a few white VW vans, (including an incredibly versatile VW T5 Multivan 4 Motion manual with Diff lock) we really wanted a brighter colour. The Tornado Red, Cherry Red, the new brighter Yellow were all on our list. What we got was Shadow Blue Metallic. (with blue/grey upholstery) Second hand so couldn't really choose. And completely happy with it. In the sun it really does 'sparkle'. There are so few Cali's in NZ that if a good one comes up,and you've been looking a few years,you grab it. And yes,dark colours show the dirt more, but we don't mind.
If shadow blue is the really dark blue then that's what we've got - I've always called it storm blue but was told on here back along that it didn't exist!
I've always preferred dark colours, ours was an ex demo so didn't choose the colour but it was my favourite anyway.
I've had loads of white panel vans over the years and they were always red hot inside during the summer, so I would never choose a colour based on thinking it might be cooler because it won't be!
Agree that the darker colours do show the dirt and scratches more though.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Avoid back! Every tiny scratch will show up and you will spend more time cleaning it than enjoying it. I also think black has gone out of fashion now, I would say white is the new black especially when contrasted with black alloys and black B pillars.

Having thought about this a bit more there isn't a colour I don't like for the VW Transporter. I'm equally attracted to 'utility' factory stock vans in non-metallics & blacked-out blinged-up pearlescent Sportlines on 20" Range Rover alloys. I'd not considered beige before but some of the Classified ads & those in VW brochures look very classy with big silver wheels on.

Whilst understanding whilst some people want to avoid white for a Cali I think the current white-with-black trend for German cars (Mercs, Audis, Porsche, Golf GTIs etc) looks brilliant - I'd have a white VW Up or a Polo GTI as well as if I had anywhere to keep it.

Having said all that I ended up with Acapulco Blue which brings a (teeny) bit of Cote d'Azur to a wet weekend in Yorkshire :cool:

Black is great. As I've said before it always looks as though it's been on an adventure. And don't worry about it getting hotter than any other colour. We spent 6 weeks in Italy last year and it was fine. I think the glass has more of an effect on heating the van than the colour.

Whatever colour you buy will be perfect. Its more than a colour. You may have your favourite but all will sell for the same.

Whatever colour you buy will be perfect. Its more than a colour. You may have your favourite but all will sell for the same.
I asked the vw dealer in liverpool the colour that is harder to sell he said red and white

I purchased my vehicle as ex demo so had no choice over the colour but if I were buying new white would be my first choice. What I'd really like is the option to choose a custom colour, google VW T2 images and look at all the lovely orange's, green's and blue's not these dour grey's, silver's and black's I would happily pay extra for more and brighter colour choice.

I did not have White on our like list.
In 2012 bought a Candy White demo with 97miles on clock.

Our 1st choice to view was a Blue van turned out more expensive 140 rather than 180 manual rather DSG less extras many more miles on clock and a pushing sales man. (continued to ring us up after we had told him we had already found a van to buy).

Been called white van man, an UN van and an ambulance. Keep your black undertaker vans I am happy with white.
I also think there is a lack of colours in the VW Cali range so many cool colour out there.

We bought off the peg, take it or leave it. Sand Metallic Beige is I think the name of the colour. Beige got a pasting on a previous thread on colour but it has two big benefits:
It matched the colour of my gold iPad (always Important) and
It doesn't show the dirt, so less washing, and looks like sparkling gold in the sun.
I think the colour name should have been Old Gold or something similar. Much posher!

Man up and buy the colour your heart tells you.

Back