Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California conversion to electric?

• Thread starter cristina McLean
  • Start date
Isn't the lithium mining riddled with child labour/slavery issues too?

I think this post must be a 'Wind-Up' as the OP has not been back since posting.

My top-most priority:

It's nor pollution as it seems every argument for can be countered with one against.

It's not performance, a Cali is after all a leisure vehicle.

It's not noise as they are all pretty much the same at 60 mph.

Reliability is an issue but engine for engine I think I could trust equally.

It's not economy, I am after all driving a 3 ton van with all the aerodynamics of a breeze block.

What will do it for me is 500 miles range per tank and the five minutes it takes to fill that tank. For that reason alone my next Cali will be diesel.

For that reason alone my next Cali will be diesel.

Well that's probably fine provided you buy next Cali in the next few years. But I see today another major carmaker - Jaguar Land Rover - has pledged to cease fossil-only new models, in three years from now.

Granted, some new hybrids in future may use diesel for the internal combustion part. Or sidepod's smokin' V12 (with the batteries in a trailer behind).

:)

One question that no one and I repeat no one can answer is who will pay for this massive changeover? The energy suppliers cannot produce the electricity and the cost of placing charging outlets is immense. Sturgeon wants the A9 to electric soon a road that alone carries a minimum of 25 thousand vehicles a day. This is a massive undertaking and not achievable in 20 years ( now to duck and wait for the dream team responses )
I also spoke to a Tesla owner who noticed the battery capacity is woeful up here in cold weather so not for me - back to steam I think. :mute

One question that no one and I repeat no one can answer is who will pay for this massive changeover? The energy suppliers cannot produce the electricity and the cost of placing charging outlets is immense. Sturgeon wants the A9 to electric soon a road that alone carries a minimum of 25 thousand vehicles a day. This is a massive undertaking and not achievable in 20 years ( now to duck and wait for the dream team responses )
I also spoke to a Tesla owner who noticed the battery capacity is woeful up here in cold weather so not for me - back to steam I think. :mute
Any Government can say what they like, they won't be in power in 2040, and the carmakers will only make what they can sell.
Toy town electric cars have a market in town, but long distance will be hybrid.

Well that's probably fine provided you buy next Cali in the next few years. But I see today another major carmaker - Jaguar Land Rover - has pledged to cease fossil-only new models, in three years from now.

Granted, some new hybrids in future may use diesel for the internal combustion part. Or sidepod's smokin' V12 (with the batteries in a trailer behind).

:)
Yes no doubt all the manufacturers will start doing that but doesn't mean that existing diesel/petrol vehicles won't still be usable.
Not really sure exactly what pollution levels hybrids give. Once the batteries are flat (which won't take long in any Jag) and the engine kicks in it must be powerfull enough to provide enough power to the electric motors via the battery presumably to retain reasonable performance. In which case the engine will pollute surely to the same level as a normal fossil engine. No such thing as a free lunch and there will be efficiency losses as well.
If Jag drivers lose performance when the leccy runs out I can't see them being very happy. Perhaps the days of fun performance cars are over and we'll all be cloned in boring machines.

....like with solar panels the problem in 25y wil be the huge amount of toxic waste from old battery's....
But hey thats not the problem of those selling these cars now so why should anyone bother.

There wil be dumpsites filled with toxic waste from solarpanels within' 10-20y time , i am not paying for that !

Nice, but a bit puny.

Now this is more like it.
With the odd mod or two, this could slip nicely into your Cali.

Quite a talking point when you fire it up first thing in the morning on the campsite.
Could save space as well if you like to BBQ.

Hello everyone and thanks so much for all your replies. They have been really helpful and given me a lot to think about. I am really pleased that my question (originally, re possibility of converting Cali to electric engine) has generated so many interesting comments.

My concerns are clearly shared by many people and will continue to be for the near and mid-term future. In the mean time, we will keep our beloved Cali as it is and enjoy it for a long as we can. You are all right about that!

I am sorry for not replying earlier. Being a Forum novice, I had no idea that replies would come so thick and fast! I am really grateful for your help and advice!

Cristina

I have a quote which I obtained to convert my Cali to electric however at approximately £36000 which is about the value if the vehicle and a limited range it did not make any sense. I am happy to let anyone have the details if the quote.

I also looked at hybrid conversions but the base vehicles were much older than my current Cali!

I'm a huge fan of electric car technology and firmly believe that it will be mainstream before too long. I've had a BMW i3 for 5 months and love it - 95% of our mileage is now done in it and we have two other cars, a petrol and a diesel. However, the relatively short range means it can't be used for certain applications so it definitely won't suit a lot of people. That, however, will change as ranges increase, charging times decrease and, ultimately charging become widely available by wireless induction methods.

I'm taking delivery of a diesel T6 Ocean next week. It will be many years before the above issues are fully resolved and a campervan needs range.

I'd love to see a conversion done but I'm not sure it would be either financially viable or have the range required.

Last edited:
The state of the industry at the mo is good for nothing more than shopping carts and basic commuter rides.

Viable Calis are a decade away.
Your second statement may be true but the first is utter nonsense.

Batteries have a life - who knows the environmental issues ahead when we recognise the massive problems they created:Nailbiting

I'm a huge fan of electric car technology and firmly believe that it will be mainstream before too long. I've had a BMW i3 for 5 months and love it - 95% of our mileage is now done in it and we have two other cars, a petrol and a diesel. However, the short range means it can't be used for certain applications so it definitely won't suit a lot of people. That, however, will change as ranges increase, charging times decrease and, ultimately charging become widely available by wireless induction methods.

I'm taking delivery of a diesel T6 Ocean next week. It will be many years before the above issues are fully resolved and a Campervan needs range.

I'd love to see a conversion done but I'm not sure it would be either financially viable or have the range required.
With 3 cars plus a Cali how much pollution did you cause during the production process?

Bit of tongue in cheek there;)

With 3 cars plus a Cali how much pollution did you cause during the production process?

Bit of tongue in cheek there;)
I'm sure there is a point to your tongue in cheek question. I didn't mention the environment. The Cali (when I get it next week) will replace one of them and will be the 27th road vehicle that we've owned/leased but I'm not sure what that proves about anything. However, moving from doing 100% of our mileage in petrol and diesel to 95% in electric will probably help the environment in some way going forward. EDIT: Although that percentage will drop when we get the Cali! :)

Im suprised the petrol hybrids are not an option now given current EU diesel legislation, makes the Cali à cleaner commuter and still reasonable camping range.

Apparently the T6 is hybrid ready, but VW claimed there is no market. I am expecting a Hybrid version in a few years time which is why my van in on 3 year PCP.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/364081/...but-customers-arent-according-to-the-company/
I personally think that the problem with a hybrid campervan is that hybrids make little sense unless you are regularly charging and doing short journeys with lots of recuperation. Hybrids typically have tiny electric ranges, much lower then electric vehicles. They are also heavier than their petrol/diesel equivalents so less fuel efficient running purely on those fuels. For regular long distance driving, it makes no sense.

Back