Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California edition Uk

Your ultimate nightmare...
aac34aac5722c6272945b88c48d15398.jpg

... and they're not even stuck on straight!!!
Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

:Nailbiting First the stickers then the slap dash sticking. I can't take any more......:headbang

This is the Volkswagen California Edition – a limited-run version of the brand’s iconic camper van. Just 80 examples will come to the UK, adding styling and equipment upgrades to both Beach and Ocean models.

The Edition features a gloss black roof and door mirrors, exclusive decals and 17-inch alloy wheels with black inlays. The front passenger windows are fitted with heat-insulating glass, while the rear windows and tail-lamps are tinted. There are five exterior paint colours to choose from: Candy White, Cherry Red, Grape Yellow, Indium Grey and Oryx White.

Equipment upgrades include LED headlights, front fog lights with a cornering function, and the firm’s Discover Navigation infotainment system. The six-inch touchscreen comes with a reversing camera and smartphone integration through Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. A multifunction leather steering wheel, soft-touch dashboard and three-zone climate control are also included.

Both Beach and Ocean models are powered by VW’s 2.0-litre TDI diesel engine – the former gets the 148bhp version, while the latter gets the more powerful 201bhp unit – and both are equipped with a seven-speed DSG automatic gearbox. In addition to the more powerful engine, the Ocean adds an interior fitted with kitchen cupboards and a bed extension, plus a water connection for an outdoor shower.

The Beach Edition is priced from £52,985, and the Ocean Edition costs £65,879. Both models are available to order now with first deliveries due by the end of May.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...un-volkswagen-california-edition-revealed?amp

The press release says 5 colors are available, but limited to 80 examples, I wonder if its 16 of each colour, 8 Beaches and 8 Oceans??

Seems like it definitely doesn’t have ACC, so I’m out even if I can get a grey one.

I've just run the Beach Edition spec through the VW configurator using the information stated in the press release. As far as I can work out , a standard Cali Beach with the stated options seems to be roughly £800 more! Of course, the Edition also has the special styling changes which obviously, I couldn't cost.

I might be wrong but the press release tends to suggest that these 80 Calis have a fixed spec with little or no wiggle room on the options front. If that's correct, for a saving of only £800, I would rather be free to add those extra preferred options and I wouldn't have to rip off those go faster stripes. There may even be less scope for discount on the Edition models due to there limited numbers. So it's possible that the cost difference would end up being very little or nothing.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I've just run the Beach Edition spec through the VW configurator using the information stated in the press release. A standard Cali Beach with the stated options seems to be roughly £800 more! Of course, the Edition also has the special styling changes which obviously, I couldn't cost.

I might be wrong but the press release tends to suggest that these 80 Calis have a fixed spec with little or no wiggle room on the options front. If that's correct, for a saving of only £800, I would rather be free to add those extra preferred options and I wouldn't have to rip off those go faster stripes. There may even be less scope for discount on the Edition models due to there limited numbers. So it's possible that the cost difference would end up being little or nothing.

The difference is about 2k + the chrome grille and detailing. I'm told the list of just under 53k includes all the 'options' that the stock cars have included:

Cruise
Awning
Lights and Vision
Headlamp wash
Latching Boot

In regards to discount, I've been offered the same on the Edition or Factory order.

The difference is about 2k + the chrome grille and detailing. I'm told the list of just under 53k includes all the 'options' that the stock cars have included:

Cruise
Awning
Lights and Vision
Headlamp wash
Latching Boot

In regards to discount, I've been offered the same on the Edition or Factory order.
Sorry 2haw,
Are you are saying, that you were told buyers will be able to order all of the options currently available to any standard Beach purchaser? If that's the case then, Hooray.
If your 2k figure proves to be correct and buyers can have any option, then it will make a tempting package for 80 the prospective buyers. The difference between your figure and the configurators seems to suggest that there may be more unpublished options included.
Are you going to buy one?

Sorry 2haw,
Are you are saying, that you were told buyers will be able to order all of the options currently available to any standard Beach purchaser? If that's the case then, Hooray.
If your 2k figure proves to be correct and buyers can have any option, then it will make a tempting package for 80 the prospective buyers. The difference between your figure and the configurators seems to suggest that there may be more unpublished options included.
Are you going to buy one?

No, I've been told all 80 Editions are candy white and all of the BEACH Editions already have ALL of the 'options' stated in the CONFIDENTIAL Edition pricelist on page 3 of this thread:

Beach Edition Standard list price = £51665
Headlight wash £220
Cruise £240
Lights and vision £264
Awning £450
Power Latch boot £126
Total Price £52985.

It's just strange how the Auto Express article (and the VW UK website) is still saying 5no different colours are available.

If all of the 80 stock Van's are white, the VW press release must be wrong!

In regards to the 2k of 'Free' equipment, the current Standard 150 DSG Tdi Beach is £46625 OTR

The Standard Beach Edition is £51,665.

A difference of £5040.

STANDARD EDITION SPEC INCLUDES:
17" Cascavels £1164
Discover Media £930
App connect £162
MFSW £372
Comfort Dash and 3zone climate £1356
Privacy £300
LED lights £1752
Parking Sensors & Rear Cam £690
Fog Lights £360

Total options included = £7086. (£7086 - £5040 difference = £2046 of free options)

In regards to me buying one, it all depends on seeing it when it arrives. The light grey interior colour stated as standard on the Edition document is my main concern. I think it should be black (to match the outside detailing), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the document is wrong and the Van's arrive with Black interior in them.

Last edited:
Your ultimate nightmare...
aac34aac5722c6272945b88c48d15398.jpg

... and they're not even stuck on straight!!!
I have wonky stickers from my Euro road trip last summer. But my 7 year old put them on so it makes me smile. It does split opinion having stickers on the California

85CDE195-F5A3-4693-B0AA-7D53A3520EC2.jpeg

Might be the subject of a new thread methinks. We’re having the same discussion as to where we put stickers.

New thread started.

Last edited:
No, I've been told all 80 Editions are candy white and all of the BEACH Editions already have ALL of the 'options' stated in the CONFIDENTIAL Edition pricelist on page 3 of this thread:

Beach Edition Standard list price = £51665
Headlight wash £220
Cruise £240
Lights and vision £264
Awning £450
Power Latch boot £126
Total Price £52985.

It's just strange how the Auto Express article (and the VW UK website) is still saying 5no different colours are available.

If all of the 80 stock Van's are white, the VW press release must be wrong!

In regards to the 2k of 'Free' equipment, the current Standard 150 DSG Tdi Beach is £46625 OTR

The Standard Beach Edition is £51,665.

A difference of £5040.

STANDARD EDITION SPEC INCLUDES:
17" Cascavels £1164
Discover Media £930
App connect £162
MFSW £372
Comfort Dash and 3zone climate £1356
Privacy £300
LED lights £1752
Parking Sensors & Rear Cam £690
Fog Lights £360

Total options included = £7086. (£7086 - £5040 difference = £2046 of free options)

In regards to me buying one, it all depends on seeing it when it arrives. The light grey interior colour stated as standard on the Edition document is my main concern. I think it should be black (to match the outside detailing), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the document is wrong and the Van's arrive with Black interior in them.
Hello 2haw,
Having looked at the VW Confidential pricelist (I was unable to open it before), I agree that it does look like a better deal than I had originally thought. In an idle moment I again worked out the difference and the basic Edtion seems to be £1806 cheaper. Thats because if you were to order LED headlights on a standard Beach the Edition's £240 headlight washer system option is included free with the LED headlights. Of course, with the edition you also get the blinged up grill and the other styling notes thrown in. It's impossible to put a price on all of that.

So it does look like a reasonably good deal but only if the Edition is the exact spec that a potential buyer is after. If it isn't then he/she will have to make some big compromises......and that's my only real gripe. There are only six possible options!!! Five if all 80 are white. Still at least one of them is an awning. That's special editions for you!

I may have been interested but since there isn't a Parking heater option, it's of no further interest to me. :(

Last edited:
Hello 2haw,
Having looked at the VW Confidential pricelist (I was unable to open it before), I agree that it does look like a better deal than I had originally thought. In an idle moment I again worked out the difference and the basic Edtion seems to be £1806 cheaper. Thats because if you were to order LED headlights on a standard Beach the Edition's £240 headlight washer system option is included free with the LED headlights. Of course, with the edition you also get the blinged up grill and the other styling notes thrown in. It's impossible to put a price on all of that.

So it does look like a reasonably good deal but only if the Edition is the exact spec that a potential buyer is after. If it isn't then he/she will have to make some big compromises......and that's my only real gripe. There are only six possible options!!! Five if all 80 are white. Still at least one of them is an awning. That's special editions for you!

I may have been interested but since there isn't a Parking heater option, it's of no further interest to me. :(

Cheers Borris,

But I'm still not sure the washer system comes with the LED lights on the Standard Beach as the pricelist shows it as a separate £240 option?

The Edition spec and the lack of the Parking Heater is a little odd but I'm not too worried myself, a few other missing options are more of a concern to me but I'll take a look as soon as it in.

Are you going to factory order then?

Screenshot_20180428-212057_Drive.jpg

Cheers Borris,

But I'm still not sure the washer system comes with the LED lights on the Standard Beach as the pricelist shows it as a separate £240 option?

The Edition spec and the lack of the Parking Heater is a little odd but I'm not too worried myself, a few other missing options are more of a concern to me but I'll take a look as soon as it in.

Are you going to factory order then?

View attachment 32540
Re the washer sytem option, I am only going by what the VW Configurator told me but who knows that may be incorrect.

I am always tempted but so far not sufficiently to buy another Cali. Our current T6 Beach is an ex demonstrator so was purchased with the options chosen already. Thankfully SMG Tonbridge really know their stuff and had specified our perfect van. The only thing that it didn't have that I would have liked is a dsg gearbox. Still the manual box is a sweet unit as well so not really an issue. The Edition has LED headlights which is something that I will definately specify next time. However the lack of options such as Parking Heater, removable tow bar, ACC, extra rear passenger seats etc etc and the impractical light seat material means that the Edition doesn't even come close to our next specification. So we will continue to enjoy our current van.

Last edited:
However the lack of options such as Parking Heater, removable tow bar, ACC, extra rear passenger seats etc etc and the impracticle light seat material means that the Edition doesn't even come close to our next specification. So we will continue to enjoy our current van.

Those are items easily added, aftermarket.
The biggest turn off, would be no climatic air conditioning, with rear vents. Near impossible to retrofit.

The biggest turn off, would be no climatic air conditioning, with rear vents. Near impossible to retrofit.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) retrofit would be at least £2-3k and no one knows for sure if it’s even possible.

I'd order the 3 zone climate and comfort dash again but in the 2 years we had our Beach, I probably adjusted the rear heating about a dozen times.

As we use it mainly just as a family MPV, we want the 7 seats and as I've still got the 2no swivel seats from our last Beach, we can put them in if we need too...

The 2 seats I have are light grey and was intending to cover them to match the black interior which I thought the Edition would have. Based on the current information, it seems I may not have to get any covers!

Last edited:

It may be different in the UK (I have a German Beach Edition) but, the Edition mandatorily gives you the Comfort Dash, which gives you 3 zone Climate Control (rear) . I have the LED head/tail lights but no washer system. Does the UK Beach Edition have the Comfort Dashboard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It may be different in the UK (I have a German Beach Edition) but, the Edition mandatorily gives you the Comfort Dash, which gives you 3 zone Climate Control (rear) . I have the LED head/tail lights but no washer system. Does the UK Beach Edition have the Comfort Dashboard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it comes with Comfort Dash and 3 zone Climate controls.

Back