Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

We registered and picked up our Ocean 15th March 2019. Just looked at the V5 now and it is a MPV not Motorcaravan :oops: If anyone has any success in getting it changed to motorcaravan would be interested to hear!

Why don't you make a complaint to VW customer services which would help us all to achieve what we really want.

What happens when you get really difficult on the phone to vw customer services? You know, just saying that you are not happy with that explanation and insist on talking to the next boss up, then repeat, and refuse to end the call?
Does that work or do they just end the call?

Reply below from VW customer services

Re: Volkswagen California

Dear Mr Lamb

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles regarding your Volkswagen California.

I understand that you have queried why your vehicle’s V5C describes it as a Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV) and not as a motorhome. As you may be aware, the vehicle body type shown on the V5C is determined by the DVLA and not by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has always marketed the California as a campervan and not as a motorhome or caravan. Therefore, whilst we appreciate that you may be disappointed with the DVLA’s recent decision to re-designate the California as an MPV, we do not feel that our marketing has been misleading.

We are nonetheless sympathetic to the practical challenges that the DVLA’s decision is creating for customers and we confirm that both Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and the Society of Motor Manufacturers have raised this issue with the DVLA in the hope that they will change their new policy. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to predict if this will be agreed by the DVLA.

We hope that this addresses your query and thank you again for contacting us.

Kind regards

Luiza Pawelec
Customer Relations Advisor
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T 0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk

Reply below from VW customer services

Re: Volkswagen California

Dear Mr Lamb

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles regarding your Volkswagen California.

I understand that you have queried why your vehicle’s V5C describes it as a Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV) and not as a motorhome. As you may be aware, the vehicle body type shown on the V5C is determined by the DVLA and not by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has always marketed the California as a campervan and not as a motorhome or caravan. Therefore, whilst we appreciate that you may be disappointed with the DVLA’s recent decision to re-designate the California as an MPV, we do not feel that our marketing has been misleading.

We are nonetheless sympathetic to the practical challenges that the DVLA’s decision is creating for customers and we confirm that both Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and the Society of Motor Manufacturers have raised this issue with the DVLA in the hope that they will change their new policy. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to predict if this will be agreed by the DVLA.

We hope that this addresses your query and thank you again for contacting us.

Kind regards

Luiza Pawelec
Customer Relations Advisor
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T 0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk
Ask them why some owners with a Beach have Body Type Motor Caravan whilst owners with the Ocean have Body Type MPV?

I did point that out in my querying email, but got the same reply as above, with no mention of the 'swap'...

I did point that out in my querying email, but got the same reply as above, with no mention of the 'swap'...
Standard reply we have all had that response we need to keep up the pressure. Who in VW is dealing with it and to whom in the DVLA and what has been said why has the Beach been designated as a motor home and a Ocean as a MPV.

Had a update phone call from VW this morning. Basically I was told they have investigated the issue, said it's nothing to do with them, it's the DVLA who classify the vehicles "Case Closed". I said I was not happy with VW's outcome and wished to take it further. I was told I had a right to take my complaint to the" Vehicle Ombudsmen" (never knew there was such a thing). Wondered what concerned owners opinions are e.g. could it be taken to the Vehicle Ombudsmen as a VWCC collective complaint or would it be better for individuals to pursue the issue?

Having dealt with DVLA in the past I would not blame VW. DVLA are a law unto themselves and basically only answerable to the government. Typical of a large government agency.

Had a update phone call from VW this morning. Basically I was told they have investigated the issue, said it's nothing to do with them, it's the DVLA who classify the vehicles "Case Closed". I said I was not happy with VW's outcome and wished to take it further. I was told I had a right to take my complaint to the" Vehicle Ombudsmen" (never knew there was such a thing). Wondered what concerned owners opinions are e.g. could it be taken to the Vehicle Ombudsmen as a VWCC collective complaint or would it be better for individuals to pursue the issue?
Had the same call this morning, VW washed there hands of us owners who have spent thousands of pounds purchasing there products now hung out to dry. Will be writing to the top man/woman very soon.

The Motor Ombudsman site below must be the 'Vehicle Ombudsmen site VW are talking about.
VW Commercial Vehicles are signed up to it and it lists the disputes they cover.

Ask them why some owners with a Beach have Body Type Motor Caravan whilst owners with the Ocean have Body Type MPV?
Because mine is from 2015, I havent heard of any recent T6 beaches with motor caravan but could be wrong.

I asked why are MY19 Beach's being Classified as Motorcaravan's while MY19 Ocean's are being Classified as MPV's? she said "I can not comment"

Also had a call this morning, waiting for the email which could take 24 hours!

Does anybody want to buy a very good secondhand MPV/motor caravan/campervan the thing is when I do come to sell it what do I sell it as :D silly me a car of course problem sorted :cool:

Just received this:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Volkswagen California.

I understand that you have queried why your vehicle’s V5C describes it as a Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV) and not as a motor home. As you may be aware, the vehicle body type shown on the V5C is determined by the DVLA and not by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. We has always marketed the California as a camper van and not as a motor home or caravan. Therefore, whilst we appreciate that you may be disappointed with the DVLA’s recent decision to re-designate the California as an MPV, we do not feel that our marketing has been misleading.

I can confirm that I have passed over your comments about how you feel the classification codes have been mixed up to our Product Team.

Should you remain dissatisfied with this decision, we refer you to The Motor Ombudsman, a CTSI certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider that we are prepared to engage with through the ADR procedure.

The Motor Ombudsman advice line: 0345 241 3008

Address:
The Motor Ombudsman
71 Great Peter Street
London
SW1P 2BN

In case you have not read up on sister T6forum regarding this issue which also applies to the marco polo. The information by OBG is explaining dvla's decision.

Just received this:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Volkswagen California.

I understand that you have queried why your vehicle’s V5C describes it as a Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV) and not as a motor home. As you may be aware, the vehicle body type shown on the V5C is determined by the DVLA and not by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles. We has always marketed the California as a camper van and not as a motor home or caravan. Therefore, whilst we appreciate that you may be disappointed with the DVLA’s recent decision to re-designate the California as an MPV, we do not feel that our marketing has been misleading.

I can confirm that I have passed over your comments about how you feel the classification codes have been mixed up to our Product Team.

Should you remain dissatisfied with this decision, we refer you to The Motor Ombudsman, a CTSI certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider that we are prepared to engage with through the ADR procedure.

The Motor Ombudsman advice line: 0345 241 3008

Address:
The Motor Ombudsman
71 Great Peter Street
London
SW1P 2BN
Just had the same response via email!

Just had the same response via email!
Just had my dear John email as well. It must feel good at VW HQ, all those clean hands. Mind you they have bigger fish to fry now the rebranding is upon us.

It seems like VWCV have latched onto the DVLA issue being applied to aftermarket van conversions.

It still doesn't address the much earlier point about the new registration codes issued at first registration is wrong, nor the fact that the Cali is a factory-built camper that falls in the general umbrella of motor caravan allowed by DVLA if set by the manufacturer.
Nor the fact that some Beach's have been able to be registered as Motor caravan.

It seems like VWCV have latched onto the DVLA issue being applied to aftermarket van conversions.

It still doesn't address the much earlier point about the new registration codes issued at first registration is wrong, nor the fact that the Cali is a factory-built camper that falls in the general umbrella of motor caravan allowed by DVLA if set by the manufacturer.
Nor the fact that some Beach's have been able to be registered as Motor caravan.
When are we going to VW HQ and camp on the lawn or in the carpark then ;)

Back