Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

So is there a clever person on here that can disseminate the letter from VW? Is there an appetite to take it further or are we all going to accept it.
If the insurance companies get on board I don't suppose it matters, Or are we taking it as a matter of principle.

Thoughts?

Given that My19 Ocean owners are in relatively small numbers. In my opinion, I would imagine that VW's blatant mistake in providing Dealers with the WRONG CODES which were then used by the DVLA to "WRONGLY" Classify California Beach's as "Motorcaravan's" and California Ocean's as "MPV's will quickly be hidden when they begin to provide the same Codes for both new Beach's as well as Ocean's. For me VW have no intention of admitting their mistake as they don't want to further damage their reputation having been caught out lying with regards to the immersion's scandal

I've just read this entire thread and now wish I hadn't bothered.

It 's left me with the following thoughts:
1. Why not find an insurance company that will insure the whole vehicle and then get on with life?
2. What's written on the V5 will not effect resale values.
3. Unless I've missed it, where is the evidence that MY19 Beaches are being classed as motor caravans on the V5?

I'm sorry that a lot of owners feel very strongly about this issue but in the end does it really matter?

Last edited:

1. Why not find an insurance company that will insure the whole vehicle and then get on with life?
3. Unless I've missed it, where is the evidence that MY19 Beaches are being classed as motor caravans on the V5?

I'm sorry that a lot of owners feel very strongly about this issue but in the end does it really matter?
I do agree with you Borris but what's next ? it seems we can be treated like mushrooms and hands are washed.
Somethings upset different people for different reasons does not make it right or wrong. All VW had to do is issue a letter to owners to send to DVLA with a change of classification then they would of been seen to actually care about their customers.

Unless I've missed it, where is the evidence that MY19 Beaches are being classed as motor caravans on the V5?
I agree, this is the key question, and was left in doubt myself.

Point three, look on page seven first post by Beagle Mum.

I think that might be a one off? Anyone other that @BeagleMum got a MY19 beach registered as a motor caravan?
Well that's ok then, so every California since inception have been registered as a motor caravan but now due to what ever reason, be it tax or police recognition are now MPVs which they are not. Well they are if taken in the context of being muti-purpose.
And yes a campervan is not a motorhome, but does look like a motor caravan and meets the DVLAs on criteria of what one is.
So why not just create a new category of Campervan.
It will be interesting to see what the grand is classed as.

Well that's ok then, so every California since inception have been registered as a motor caravan but now due to what ever reason, be it tax or police recognition are now MPVs which they are not. Well they are if taken in the context of being muti-purpose.
And yes a campervan is not a motorhome, but does look like a motor caravan and meets the DVLAs on criteria of what one is.
So why not just create a new category of Campervan.
It will be interesting to see what the grand is classed as.
I wasn't saying it was ok I was just saying that as far as I am aware, Beaches are also being registered as MPV now (ours is) but @BeagleMum has a beach that is registered as a Motorcaravan. I'm not aware of any others. It was for clarity not as a judgement.

I wasn't saying it was ok I was just saying that as far as I am aware, Beaches are also being registered as MPV now (ours is) but @BeagleMum has a beach that is registered as a Motorcaravan. I'm not aware of any others. It was for clarity not as a judgement.
:Iamsorry post came across as scathing. Was not meant as such.

Well that's ok then, so every California since inception have been registered as a motor caravan but now due to what ever reason, be it tax or police recognition are now MPVs which they are not.

No they haven't!

Some Early california SEs were registered as as something other than Motor Caravans & eventually got re-registered as Motor Caravans with the current owners getting the over paid road tax back.

Early Beaches were not Motor caravans as at the time an SE attracted the flat rate tax of £215 that applied to Motor Caravans whilst a beach with the same engine paid twice as much based on the same emissions as a caravelle

I think it was about 2012 that they both became Motor Caravan & both Taxed on emissions - if you can find the first price list for a beach it will show the difference.

The forum at the time had similar arguments as to what was right and why some had been registered as one thing and others differently.

No they haven't!

Some Early california SEs were registered as as something other than Motor Caravans & eventually got re-registered as Motor Caravans with the current owners getting the over paid road tax back.

Early Beaches were not Motor caravans as at the time an SE attracted the flat rate tax of £215 that applied to Motor Caravans whilst a beach with the same engine paid twice as much based on the same emissions as a caravelle

I think it was about 2012 that they both became Motor Caravan & both Taxed on emissions - if you can find the first price list for a beach it will show the difference.

The forum at the time had similar arguments as to what was right and why some had been registered as one thing and others differently.
Thank for clearing that up, my first Cali was 2014, But for the last seven years they have been motor caravans then.

Calling @BeagleMum to come and clarify the details of their beach, following the recent posts here.

Calling @BeagleMum to come and clarify the details of their beach, following the recent posts here.
We can’t clarify anything re the ongoing classification issue, we can only speak for our own vehicle which as stated previously Is recorded on the V5 as Motor Caravan.

We can’t clarify anything re the ongoing classification issue, we can only speak for our own vehicle which as stated previously Is recorded on the V5 as Motor Caravan.
Hi BeaglesMum if you don't mind can you tell us when your van was first registered?

Ref item 2
It could well cause an issue on reselling in that a prospective buyer may deem it to be a conversion and not an original VW factory supplied Cali. Purchase Invoice may help prove the history but with so many conversions and scam sales it may make selling a problem in future.
If I recall correctly there has even been an instance(s) of a Cali being registered as a Transporter T30.

Ref item 2
It could well cause an issue on reselling in that a prospective buyer may deem it to be a conversion and not an original VW factory supplied Cali. Purchase Invoice may help prove the history but with so many conversions and scam sales it may make selling a problem in future.
If I recall correctly there has even been an instance(s) of a Cali being registered as a Transporter T30.
Not sure you can buy a RHD transporter with a driver's side rear sliding door on its own. I think Cali's are unique in this aspect. It's impossible to fake a genuine Cali

Hi BeaglesMum if you don't mind can you tell us when your van was first registered?
Hi, we bought our Beach as a demo, we had forgotten about It being first registered as such.
Just checked, it was originally registered in January, sorry for any confusion caused.

Hi, we bought our Beach as a demo, we had forgotten about It being first registered as such.
Just checked, it was originally registered in January, sorry for any confusion caused.
Thanks BeagleMum, that clears that up then, looks like all MY19 i.e. post March 19 Calis were registered as MPVs. Lets see what the Grand will be and subsequent 6.1 Calis whichever guise are imported into the UK.

Back