Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

OK - 5th seat clarified. Thanks
Probably been answered before but with MPV classification it seems the max speed on single/dual carriageways is -10mph lower than cars and motorhomes (of less than 3.05 tonnes unladen).
Is this correct?
No

I have also come up against resistance to insuring our new Beach but only from one organisation. I have been insured through the Caravan and Motorhome club for the last four years. When I rang up last week to get a quote for our new Beach, the MPV issue came up. They said that if the V5 (when it turns up), says MPV then they, Devitt Insurance, won't be able to insure it. I then pointed out that they have insured our previous Beach for the last three and a half years and that the new van is to all intent and purpose, exactly the same. At that point the underwriters were brought into the conversation. The net result is that I have to sent them photos of the new van. This is the only thing that has slightly irked me about this issue. They are an insurance company whose business it is to insure vehicles. Why do they need photos? They should know what a California Beach is! It isn't as if they are a new design that has never been seen on our shores before. Anyway, I will send them some photos and see what transpires. If they don't want the business there are others that do.

As for the MPV designation, well so what! The DVLA can call it what they want as far as I'm concerned just so long as it doesn't restrict my use of it. Actually, calling it an MPV enhances it's flexibility as places such as seaside promenades and new built housing developments that have restrictions preventing Motorhomes and Campervans will now find it more difficult to enforce their rulings. After all half the country now own an MPV of some description or other and they don't have such restrictions.
This is liable to get interesting as the Beach was previously Body Type - Motor Caravan or equivalent. If they see pictures they may say No as it doesn’t fulfill the internal requirements of a Motor Caravan whereas an Ocean would despite having the same Body Type of MPV.

My mates hymer car s has a classification of hpgv and has no five year exorbitant tax only a yearly sum of £168.00 so go large its cheaper

My mates hymer car s has a classification of hpgv and has no five year exorbitant tax only a yearly sum of £168.00 so go large its cheaper
Interesting CK what is the classification as can’t find it on the DVLA site

This is liable to get interesting as the Beach was previously Body Type - Motor Caravan or equivalent. If they see pictures they may say No as it doesn’t fulfill the internal requirements of a Motor Caravan whereas an Ocean would despite having the same Body Type of MPV.
Interestingly, I was asked "does it have cooking facilities"? I replied, "yes but they are not built in like the Ocean. They are stand alone and live in a box in the boot". The lady said that's fine and went on to ask if it had water storage facilities? I gave the same answer and she again said that's fine. She also asked if it had windows and a door into the rear compartment other than the two front doors. She also enquired about the beds. I told her that it was a factory built vehicle that was designed with an upstairs and downstairs bed. You would have thought they would know all this!

I don't know where this will end up but I intend to argue the point with the underwriters for no other reason than it's nonsensical to insure a seven seat Beach up until August only to refuse to insure exactly the same type of vehicle in October.

Private heavy goods vehicle but i don't know the classification, based on a Mercedes van
Well let’s hope this also related to the GC also and thanks for that info

Hi all, we've just bought a Beach registered in November 2018. The V5 currently identifies it as a campervan. We are considering buying a private plate, however, after reading this thread, I am a little concerned that when we transfer the new plate over to our Beach the new V5 may come back without the campervan identification. Thoughts?

Hi all, we've just bought a Beach registered in November 2018. The V5 currently identifies it as a campervan. We are considering buying a private plate, however, after reading this thread, I am a little concerned that when we transfer the new plate over to our Beach the new V5 may come back without the campervan identification. Thoughts?
Changing the number plate should in no way affect its classification. Sure you will be fine.

Number plate change will not effect it we did exactly the same without any classification change

As far as I know DVLA have never had ‘campervan’ as a body type and that’s half the problem. So was it defined as a motor caravan?

I have also come up against resistance to insuring our new Beach but only from one organisation. I have been insured through the Caravan and Motorhome club for the last four years. When I rang up last week to get a quote for our new Beach, the MPV issue came up. They said that if the V5 (when it turns up), says MPV then they, Devitt Insurance, won't be able to insure it. I then pointed out that they have insured our previous Beach for the last three and a half years and that the new van is to all intent and purpose, exactly the same. At that point the underwriters were brought into the conversation. The net result is that I have to sent them photos of the new van. This is the only thing that has slightly irked me about this issue. They are an insurance company whose business it is to insure vehicles. Why do they need photos? They should know what a California Beach is! It isn't as if they are a new design that has never been seen on our shores before. Anyway, I will send them some photos and see what transpires. If they don't want the business there are others that do.

As for the MPV designation, well so what! The DVLA can call it what they want as far as I'm concerned just so long as it doesn't restrict my use of it. Actually, calling it an MPV enhances it's flexibility as places such as seaside promenades and new built housing developments that have restrictions preventing Motorhomes and Campervans will now find it more difficult to enforce their rulings. After all half the country now own an MPV of some description or other and they don't have such restrictions.
The DVLA website says clearly that body type does not affect insurance... the laws of unintended consequence.

The DVLA website says clearly that body type does not affect insurance... the laws of unintended consequence.
This is only a minor hiccup. I'm sure the insurance industry will sort themselves out soon once it dawns on them that they are turning away valuable business.

I think you might find councils, which have lots of money and clever barristers will still argue that your vehicle fits the following definition "any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another" (Caravan SItes and Control of Development Act 1960) and along with their power to create and enforce Traffic Regulations Orders - whose wording is unique to each council, best of luck with parking on seaside promenades.

I think you might find councils, which have lots of money and clever barristers will still argue that your vehicle fits the following definition "any structure designed or adapted for human habitation which is capable of being moved from one place to another" (Caravan SItes and Control of Development Act 1960) and along with their power to create and enforce Traffic Regulations Orders - whose wording is unique to each council, best of luck with parking on seaside promenades.
Councils have always created their own rules to suit a prevailing nuisance. Twas forever thus.

On a more practical note, when the "Yellow Peril" peer through the windows of your Ocean they might reasonably conclude that it's a Campervan and slap a ticket on your windscreen. On the other hand they may well decide otherwise where a Beach is concerned.

As for me, if it says don't walk on the grass, I won't !

Councils have always created their own rules to suit a prevailing nuisance. Twas forever thus.

On a more practical note, when the "Yellow Peril" peer through the windows of your Ocean they might reasonably conclude that it's a Campervan and slap a ticket on your windscreen. On the other hand they may well decide otherwise where a Beach is concerned.

As for me, if it says don't walk on the grass, I won't !
I generally run, then I'm not on there as long. Mind you at my age I don't know if that's necessarily true ;)

Perhaps this is why an awning is now now a standard feature rather than option on any new T6.1 To help get Cali's comply with DVLA requirements as a motorcaravan under "Motor Caravan External Permanent Features"
I couldn't understand why VW would include something as standard, which they previously managed to charge people for, that is just not VW!

Perhaps this is why an awning is now now a standard feature rather than option on any new T6.1 To help get Cali's comply with DVLA requirements as a motorcaravan under "Motor Caravan External Permanent Features"
I couldn't understand why VW would include something as standard, which they previously managed to charge people for, that is just not VW!
I thought the ship had sailed on new Oceans ever being 'MotorCaravans' with only high tops being considered in the rules released last Friday.

The new guidelines as of 21 October 2019 - more external features - namely motor caravan decals, graphics or markings and an fixed extended roof ( specifically excluding pop-top roof ).
Firstly the DVLA Regulations apply to "Converting a vehicle into a motor caravan (motor home)" A Cali is NOT a conversion, it's factory built from new. Also it's a Campervan not a motorhome.

Motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of vehicle !!!! What influence do these have on the purpose to which the vehicle can be used? To my view they just make the vehicle look a eyesore. Anyway the T6.1 has side graphics in the way of discreet chrome California badges on each front wing. Very understated, very VW.

Convertors like Danbury produce near identical vehicles, one with a high top and one with a pop top. How can one be considered a MPV and one a Motorhome!

Firstly the DVLA Regulations apply to "Converting a vehicle into a motor caravan (motor home)" A Cali is NOT a conversion, it's factory built from new. Also it's a Campervan not a motorhome.

Motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of vehicle !!!! What influence do these have on the purpose to which the vehicle can be used? To my view they just make the vehicle look a eyesore. Anyway the T6.1 has side graphics in the way of discreet chrome California badges on each front wing. Very understated, very VW.

Convertors like Danbury produce near identical vehicles, one with a high top and one with a pop top. How can one be considered a MPV and one a Motorhome!

Its something to do with being recognisable by the police, if they get a radio call to look out for a Motor caravan/motorhome and a van with windows goes by they think they will miss it. That's the reasoning I have been told.

Its something to do with being recognisable by the police, if they get a radio call to look out for a Motor caravan/motorhome and a van with windows goes by they think they will miss it. That's the reasoning I have been told.
Not an acceptable reason for a vehicle to be put into the wrong tax class in my opinion. If a mobile police officer, working in traffic every day can't be relied on, when asked to look out for a VW Camper Van and recognise a VW Transporter with windows and a different roof line, he's not going to be much good at recognising suspects.

Back