Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cashed in

I was interested in the original topic. Too bad it degenerated.
What I wrote was rather for being funny but now that you bring it up, the original post was a few lines long: one stating that the california is getting too small and then all about how he cashed in on it (also the title of the post). Then finish with a mention that it was a good vehicle for the holidays and for daily driving around. Meanwhile was also mentioned to buy a motorhome. Well, I'm glad it turned out to be what it is because the original post didn't bring that much to this lovely forum about the volkswagen california. My idea and feeling about this. Hense my reactions. Fans of the ducato variants can still go to the specialized forums that do not have 'vwcaliforniaclub' as the heading, I thought.
In the meantime I noticed that there are some fans of the California who would rather get rid of it and want a bigger campervan. I respect this and I'll see what comes. If there would be a Porsche section, also good because even if I didn't have one, don't have one now and probably will not have one in the near future, I am very interested in Porsche and then I do not have to join a forum for this brand and read all about it/post possible questions here. And it's also a car, and you can also sleep in it, I read. So also fine by me if that happens :D
Has it degenerated? I mean, what else could have come of it? After a group fans of the ducato variants posting, it just became even more something has nothing to do with the vw california. But to say that this degenerated. Rather evolved some would say ;)
Greetings

All this was written in the kindest way possible and with my knowledge of the English language which is not as great as that of the others. If this came across as arrogant, it wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:
The title of the site is Volkswagen California owners club. IMHO that should be enough. VW vehicles and not others who have their own forums and clubs. Too many knock VW (sometimes with justification) but most of us love our vans. If you no longer want California move on and be happy but let us enjoy or vans and forum.

The purpose of this forum is to provide information to owners or enthusiasts of the Vw California. If one day I want to buy a Mercedes, Ducato, or other van, the information that will be most useful to me will come from former Californians. And where are they if not here? The specific forums, Ducato for example, will be interesting to follow as well, but will not reflect the particular point of view of the campers, users that we are.

The purpose of this forum is to provide information to owners or enthusiasts of the Vw California. If one day I want to buy a Mercedes, Ducato, or other van, the information that will be most useful to me will come from former Californians. And where are they if not here? The specific forums, Ducato for example, will be interesting to follow as well, but will not reflect the particular point of view of the campers, users that we are.
I tend to disagree; of course I respect your idea on this but let me explain myself: most explanations about how good a vehicle is, its possibilities, discussions etc. will be found on the specialized forums and sites, not here. They're going to be savvy enough when it comes to their campervans; it will also be about travel (with it), motorhome pitches and camping sites, etc. + the specific matters specific to the Ducato variants!
In my opinion, asking or expecting information here about the Ducato variants is not necessary. I also assume that those who want a different (larger) campervan kwow why and don't need confirmation or support or whatever you want from others who are of this idea (too small, evolved, things changed).
"Former Californians... And where are they if not here?" My guess: sooner or later you will meet each other on those other forums... or here because it has been suggested enough that a section for the ducato campervans could possibly/should be made, so maybe you should be able in the near future to find what you are looking for on the vwcaliforniaclubforum.
Now don't think that I mean you have to leave if you want a ducato, no, stay. I have nothing to say here and something might be arranged for you.
I'll see what comes and find this an interesting debate.

I would definitely say that this forum does a fantastic job of sticking to the label on its tin and is a fabulous place to discuss all things California and all things includes topics that relate to Californias.

Acknowledging that other campervans and other options exist directly relates to this beloved van. it is and remains to be a wonderful platform dedicated to VWs best small camper.

You've only to look out of the window of your Cali to see other campers by other makes so let us not keep the blinds shut and be afraid to chat about other vehicles. We know where the core of our interest and discussion lies so why not include our own personal thoughts and experiences of other vans too. it helps us all hugely and above all is pretty interesting too.

Im quite befuddled as to the route this thread took.

I would definitely say that this forum does a fantastic job of sticking to the label on its tin and is a fabulous place to discuss all things California and all things includes topics that relate to Californias.

Acknowledging that other campervans and other options exist directly relates to this beloved van. it is and remains to be a wonderful platform dedicated to VWs best small camper.

You've only to look out of the window of your Cali to see other campers by other makes so let us not keep the blinds shut and be afraid to chat about other vehicles. We know where the core of our interest and discussion lies so why not include our own personal thoughts and experiences of other vans too. it helps us all hugely and above all is pretty interesting too.

Im quite befuddled as to the route this thread took.
Well, do you really think I'll go through life with blinders on? Even without this volkswagen california forum I know that there are many other campervan types (and motorhomes) out there. We have been traveling with campers (all types!) since I was 8 years old (I’m much older now).
Nope: I have chosen a small campervan and a forum for this campervan. Changing my choice, I would certainly not expect that my choice also has to be added. Continue to say that it should be possible to actually get information to sell my cali and which bigger campervan to buy, no, I wouldn't do that. Finally, I would be the one who sells his small campervan and everything that goes with it. I wouldn’t blame people that they would be befuddled if I want such thing to happen.
Helpful? only for those who choose or look for a bigger campervan, that’s what I think.
Still: I take whatever comes but will not change my idea about it. I still think it is an interesting debate although I notice that I am (except for a few posts) almost alone with my point of view. It is what it is.

Gosh and if I want to be even clearer, I would put it like this: join a fiat ducato variant campervan forum with a lot of dedicated fans and tell there that you -although you think it is a very good camper- you will sell it for a lot of money and want a california. I suspect the vast majority of responses will be: OK, go ahead. A smear campaign because you want it to be about your California, too, probably wouldn't be appreciated. So here it is, so count yourself lucky with everybody on board here and wait, maybe you'll get your way here at the Volkswagen california club.
Think about it. Sounds silly doesn’t it? ;)

Last edited:
Well, do you really think I'll go through life with blinders on? Even without this volkswagen california forum I know that there are many other campervan types (and motorhomes) out there. We have been traveling with campers (all types!) since I was 8 years old (I’m much older now).
Nope: I have chosen a small campervan and a forum for this campervan. Changing my choice, I would certainly not expect that my choice also has to be added. Continue to say that it should be possible to actually get information to sell my cali and which bigger campervan to buy, no, I wouldn't do that. Finally, I would be the one who sells his small campervan and everything that goes with it. I wouldn’t blame people that they would be befuddled if I want such thing to happen.
Helpful? only for those who choose or look for a bigger campervan, that’s what I think.
Still: I take whatever comes but will not change my idea about it. I still think it is an interesting debate although I notice that I am (except for a few posts) almost alone with my point of view. It is what it is.
Not alone.:thumb

You are not alone. The label on the tin is what it says.

There are not many forums for other camper vans on different base vehicles, why I suspect opinions regarding other campers by those who currently have VW's are sought here. Personally I think there is space for another forum, a sister forum, which would also be compatible to campervanbits, but not another section.

You are not alone. The label on the tin is what it says.

There are not many forums for other camper vans on different base vehicles, why I suspect opinions regarding other campers by those who currently have VW's are sought here. Personally I think there is space for another forum, a sister forum, which would also be compatible to campervanbits, but not another section.
That sounds so true. Also shows how ‘it goes around’ here: friendly, open people and every one can say his idea or thoughts in a friendly way (sorry if mine kept coming and could even be sometimes be not as some want it or as I intended). I think it would be very interesting for the interested ;)
greetings

Add a section on the sister site - the Marco Polo owners club, there looks to be plenty of capacity on there for increased traffic. Keep this one for VW Californias and loosely related stuff.

Agree but not on this forum. Too many decry the California and this is not what I want to read.

Where do you see the California rubbished?

Matt whoever he is that does the CarWow reviews always likes to have a pop at VW, as I said to him on his Marco Polo review, "I do love reading camper reviews by folk who do not camp. Smitten by the bling and blind to the practicality".

Some motorhome forums such as motorhome fun cannot understand the California, or any Campervan that can't accommodate a grand piano in the loo, but not much rubbishing.

Quite a few will say "need something bigger" for a lot of reasons that are matters of personal choice. The thing I'm sat in at the moment is because most of those interested wanted something with a loo and more space, but all have been very complimentary at how remarkable a Cali is.

There is a need for overlap. I have 3 people pm'ing me right now asking about Hymer, Ducato etc. I just think a VW forum is just that, a VW forum. and with Over 20,000 members, just how many more do we want!!

Last edited:
Add a section on the sister site - the Marco Polo owners club, there looks to be plenty of capacity on there for increased traffic. Keep this one for VW Californias and loosely related stuff.

That was my original suggestion.. Change the headline from "Marco Polo's" to "otherCampervans".

I would agree with that, my last 911 was a 997.2 4S lovely to look at but boring at sensible speeds. Sweet spot for me was 964 Carrera2 its the earliest 911 I've had with a proper working heating / ventilation system, the aircon actually worked.
Newer ones have lost a lot of the character.

I currently have a 2017 Morgan Plus 4 - its hard work to drive, you get wet if it rains, you roast in the sun, there's no luggage space & the wife hates it. However I stand a reasonable chance of keeping my licence, it costs peanuts to run, & everyone seems to love it, you get let out junctions and its just a joy to own.
I will however be changing it shortly for one of the new CX platform models as my knees are shot & need an automatic, the new ones have aircon, power steering, courtesy lights & bluetooth connection to stream audio, so a lot easier to live with & use regularly.
Thanks @andyinluton - there is just something about a plus four …..

Thanks @andyinluton - there is just something about a plus four …..
Plus 4 or Plus Four?
They are very much like the VW line up
Plus 4 has the charm & comfort of a splitty, great in the summer & ok for local driving.
Plus Four less charm but more like a T6.1 for all year round use & ease of driving.

Everyone loves a Plus 4 & looks at it through rose tinted glasses, its great on a not to hot summers evening, doortops & roof off driving to the pub. Faced with a 200 mile round trip on the motorway on a wet day and to be honest I would rather take almost anything else.

Last edited:
Plus 4 or Plus Four?
Plus 4 has the charm & comfort of a splitty
Plus Four less charm but more like a T6.1 when it comes to ease of driving
The new plus four (I also like the plus six but think the plus four driving position is better)
Not wanting to sound greedy but I also want a small second hand yacht when I retire as well - keep me out the house.

Found and bought our replacement which suits our needs a bit more just now. Peugeot Bailey Advance 70-6 and even have £5k left over from California. Hopefully move back to a California in the future.

Back