Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cashed in

why don’t people post on the hymer or Fiat forums, I am all for new things and change but this is the vw California club,if a vw California isn’t for them that’s fine.also not sure why people need to justify changing to a bigger van or moving to fiat.
It's a pretty broad church of contributors to this forum and there have been many many threads over the years where people have discussed alternatives to the Cali.

Many have owned Calis and then chosen alternatives, and their thought process and deliberations have helped to inform others of the relative merits of Cali ownership vs somethng else. You wouldn't have that type in insight on a Hymer of Fiat forum - the relevance here is that there has been a period of Cali ownership. The shortcomings of alternatives eg 2m+ height, not getting waved to anymore, are all played out for others to read about, helping them to make a better choice.

I never get a sense that anyone is seeking to justify changing, why would they need to justify their decision to a bunch of people on a forum? I do think sometimes people articulate their decision making, perhaps helping them to crystallise their thoughts and get helpful input from others who may have been through the same process.

I dont read every thread on here as some subjects discussed are of no interest to me and a significant proportion aren't directly related to the Cali itself anyway - kids, dogs, campsites, travel destinations, portapottis, etc etc. As @larrylamb says, thats what the 'ignore thread' option is for.

In reality, many ex Cali owners will post here and in other forums. I'll still be on the forum and read/contributing when my Hymer Evo arrives although the content of my posts will be likely be about Calis, general camping subjects, BBQs, campsites, etc rather than specifics about the Hymer vehicle itself, as they'll be more relevant on a Hymer forum and frankly not many people here would be able to help me fix a problem with an elusive fuse/switch/stuck hatch/control panel issue anyway....

I think the forum would be a poorer place if it was exclusively Cali, and @GrannyJen is right to post the idea of a home for 'other' non <2m Calis. To be fair, the GC is a Cali in name only really anyway and has its own section that could accommodate other panel van conversions (....searches for a tin hat emojii)

Last edited:
It's a pretty broad church of contributors to this forum and there have been many many threads over the years where people have discussed alternatives to the Cali.

Many have owned Calis and then chosen alternatives, and their thought process and deliberations have helped to inform others of the relative merits of Cali ownership vs somethng else. You wouldn't have that type in insight on a Hymer of Fiat forum - the relevance here is that there has been a period of Cali ownership. The shortcomings of alternatives eg 2m+ height, not getting waved to anymore, are all played out for others to read about, helping them to make a better choice.

I never get a sense that anyone is seeking to justify changing, why would they need to justify their decision to a bunch of people on a forum? I do think sometimes people articulate their decision making, perhaps helping them to crystallise their thoughts and get helpful input from others who may have been through the same process.

I dont read every thread on here as some subjects discussed are of no interest to me and a significant proportion aren't directly related to the Cali itself anyway - kids, dogs, campsites, travel destinations, portapottis, etc etc. As @larrylamb says, thats what the 'ignore thread' option is for.

In reality, many ex Cali owners will post here and in other forums. I'll still be on the forum and read/contributing when my Hymer Evo arrives although the content of my posts will be likely be about Calis, general camping subjects, BBQs, campsites, etc rather than specifics about the Hymer vehicle itself, as they'll be more relevant on a Hymer forum and frankly not many people here would be able to help me fix a problem with an elusive fuse/switch/stuck hatch/control panel issue anyway....

I think the forum would be a poorer place if it was exclusively Cali, and @GrannyJen is right to post the idea of a home for 'other' non <2m Calis. To be fair, the GC is a Cali in name only really anyway and has its own section that could accommodate other panel van conversions (....searches for a tin hat emojii)
Your opinion is interesting to read. But I keep finding it weird that at a 'vwcaliforniaclub' forum, members should post how another -usually bigger- campervan is better for them.
So a fiat ducato variants section, a subdivision to help others make a better choice. Really? Try this on another forum with mainly enthusiasts/owners of a brand or model, there will certainly be opposition and somewhere I find this normal too. Has nothing to do with censoring. It's just: I think it is suitable to go to a specialized site for your favorite large campervan to explain why you no longer want the California. Also not censoring.
You don't have to declare yourself or like you put it: "why would they need to justify their decision to a bunch of people on a forum?" indeed, why mention this at all? Unless it's about what the forum stands for: the volkswagen california in all its guises: old and young (now also big; GC wich is indeed only a california in name but is far from the small campervan of which it has te name), long (exclusive) and short, but also old californias (like our T4) and the new and more present variants of Westfalia (their small campervans that is) would better fit here (for me anyway, but this is up to everyone's own mind). Now that people are thinking about diversifying: take those instead of the larger campervans.
Indeed: there are also posts about general camping subjects, BBQs, campsites at this forum, just like on any other campervan enthusiast forum for any brand or type. Don't interpret this that I want people to leave, on the contrary: stay! It is just to reassure those who change.
Some people will not be happy with what I wrote and I kinda understand that but I hope I put all of this in the most gentil and polite way. Still, I have a clear opinion and idea about expanding the forum what appears to be what a group wants and even may come to. Whatever happens: I resign myself to it and adapt.
But this forum is not going to be a poorer place, I see it constantly growing with new interested people for the california and new owners of the california.
Greetings

I prefer not to use the 'ignor button' because it should not be necessary... but it's nice to know what it's for.

Maybe it’s just me, sorry to say but I’m getting a bit bored of all this. I think this thread has gone way off topic and is becoming something that it shouldn’t be.
I find this forum great and don’t have any issues with any of it’s content. There’s so much on here that I look at what I want to look at and contribute where I can. Certain parts don’t interest me so I don’t go there. As I’ve just ordered a Cali I’ll mainly be found in the “Buying a California” section, believe it or not ;)

Maybe it’s just me, sorry to say but I’m getting a bit bored of all this. I think this thread has gone way off topic and is becoming something that it shouldn’t be.
I find this forum great and don’t have any issues with any of it’s content. There’s so much on here that I look at what I want to look at and contribute where I can. Certain parts don’t interest me so I don’t go there. As I’ve just ordered a Cali I’ll mainly be found in the “Buying a California” section, believe it or not ;)
Could it be that you are getting a bit bored with my contributions? No problem, although I notice that you also participate and regularly give thumbs up when it comes to the expansion of a vwcalifornia club with the fiat ducato. Opinions may differ but for your benefit I will not repeat mine and see what changes ;)
Greetings

Last edited:
I prefer not to use the 'ignor button' because it should not be necessary...
Its a great tool to tailor your interactions with this great forum.
I have little interest and zero time for 'Seating in a Cali beach' or 'Kenwood DNX518VDABS', or in fact this thread any more. So like Peter Jones "I'm out"...

There are very few, if any, comparable Forums to compare with this one. Many sections are useful to all who enjoy the campervan lifestyle. However, when it comes to the actual vehicles things are very different.
We have dedicated sections for the Beach, T6 and T4, ( why no section for the T5 or T5.1 ) and the Grand California, so I don't see what the problem or harm there would be in having sections devoted to Transporter Conversions or Grand California equivalents.
These vehicles, particularly Transporter conversions can be very different to the VW built California and similarly with the GC equivalents with their own problems etc. which California owners maybe able to help but maybe not.
We all have a love of the lifestyle, so maybe the Forum owners should look at a Forum reconfiguration with a Transporter Conversion and GC Equivalent Conversion section, and while they are about it a T5/5.1 and T6.1 section to match the T6 and T4 sections. @calikev @Martin .

why don’t people post on the hymer or Fiat forums, I am all for new things and change but this is the vw California club,if a vw California isn’t for them that’s fine.also not sure why people need to justify changing to a bigger van or moving to fiat.
Jesus Christ. It’s like Sheldon Cooper attempting sarcasm in machine code.

There are very few, if any, comparable Forums to compare with this one. Many sections are useful to all who enjoy the campervan lifestyle. However, when it comes to the actual vehicles things are very different.
We have dedicated sections for the Beach, T6 and T4, ( why no section for the T5 or T5.1 ) and the Grand California, so I don't see what the problem or harm there would be in having sections devoted to Transporter Conversions or Grand California equivalents.
These vehicles, particularly Transporter conversions can be very different to the VW built California and similarly with the GC equivalents with their own problems etc. which California owners maybe able to help but maybe not.
We all have a love of the lifestyle, so maybe the Forum owners should look at a Forum reconfiguration with a Transporter Conversion and GC Equivalent Conversion section, and while they are about it a T5/5.1 and T6.1 section to match the T6 and T4 sections. @calikev @Martin .
Of course, but it is not really the Volkswagen variants that a certain group wants to join but fiat.
Certainly in favor of, for example, having all Volkswagen-based Westfalia variants in the group; can and will be very educational and interesting for many of us. Not so for the ducato campervans… sorry, my opinion.

Im another to move to a 6m from a cali. I bought the cali to use as a second car as well as for camping. I didnt last without my car fix so another 911 appeared. Now it was always an act of faith but I figured I could try and sell if it didnt work, must of had a vision !
In the end I didnt have it as long as I hoped with the possibility to get out and revisit campers later turning my head so it went. I liked it a lot but given it was camping only for me didnt really make sense with all the well documented compromises making it something you can cope with but I want a bit more than cope I guess.

I had 6 months out and looked at 5.4m vans, in the end I decided to go 6m as I didnt want a pop top and the 5.4m vans invariably have a space compromise somewhere, bed, shower or dinette.

Still not sure right decision 6m vs 5.4m but I decided to go 6m , not even seen one but Im getting a Dreamer D51 which is a new 2022 model. The bed is over size really at 1.95 x 1.53m basically a king size.

I discounted the Mercedes and Crafter based vans on either cost and/or availability grounds plus Ive had it with VAG Groups latest unreliable current offerings. Comes to something when I buy a Fiat over a VW albeit the new MK8 thinking it will serve me better.
I have noted though that the new panel vans are even crazier priced vs California,s, the gap is closing.
As said no right or wrongs just depends on ones need.
We will see , should get it in q1.
How do you find your 911 - I’m retiring in a year and I’m considering 1) Morgan 2) 911 2s cab 3) v8 Ftye cab

An interesting thread.
I have thought about a Bymer Ayers Rock or a second hand Hymer B544

both would be more comfortable for my back which is a consideration as I get older and both would be better for extended touring when I retire on the next 12-18months.

however you can’t drive them as a daily so I would need another car and the Hymer would spend a large part of the year on the drive.

everything’s a compromise but at the moment whilst I’m still working I think the Cali suits my needs as a multi role vehicle best

That wasn’t aimed at you. I replied to the wrong post and I can’t see how to delete or edit anymore.
You can’t delete or edit like you used to be able to. It’s now Floating on the inter web for eternity..Most forums allow you to edit if you cock up but not this forum..

I have just edited several of most most recent posts (posted today)
I’m not paying on here to delete or edit posts. Is this just a money making exercise? Any other forum I’ve ever been on haven’t demanded money to edit posts.

I’m not paying on here to delete or edit posts. Is this just a money making exercise? Any other forum I’ve ever been on haven’t demanded money to edit posts.
And not many, if any, free Forums have negotiated many discounts, for their members from various businesses.

If anything it’s in the admins interest that you don’t pay to join. You don’t need to buy much at Campervan bits using the VIP discount to recover your membership fees.
I think I saved about 10 years worth kitting out the new van.

If anything it’s in the admins interest that you don’t pay to join. You don’t need to buy much at Campervan bits using the VIP discount to recover your membership fees.
I think I saved about 10 years worth kitting out the new van.
We need lots of lovely Hymer things for sale in the shop - the discount would save me a fortune next year !!

Back