Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Chlorinated Chicken Recipes

The chloro-chicken debate will be good if it encourages us to look more at what we're eating, from the point of view of animal welfare. I was googling around on it the other day - it appears UK meat (incl chicken) production has shifted massively to mega-intensive units in recent years... although on the plus side battery sheds are no more (I think).

From a very quick read, the UK Red Tractor scheme does look like it guarantees at least better than EU minimum standards.

Unfortunately for the chickens, I'm guessing that if UK does roll over and allow US chicken products in, a lot of that will go into the processed food products (pies etc) so even if we shop selectively for our Sunday roast, it won't solve the issue.

But I am going to try to look at this and tighten up my own shopping habits.

I hear chlorinated chicken goes well with sour grapes.
correct mate. quite clearly thisthread is a moan about the eu . along with a couple of other threads on here that cropped up today. constantly moaning and whining. get over it and be quiet for crying out load. in other news the sky is about to fall in. said chlorinated chicken licken

correct mate. quite clearly thisthread is a moan about the eu . along with a couple of other threads on here that cropped up today. constantly moaning and whining. get over it and be quiet for crying out load. in other news the sky is about to fall in. said chlorinated chicken licken

Don’t worry, we’ve got over losing our freedom of movement, right to retire in the sunshine, EU wide healthcare, mobile roaming, frictionless trade, strong financial services sector and healthy economy. He’s not whining about what we’ve lost.

He’s more concerned about what we are about to be forced to swallow as we sell or sovereignty and NHS to the United States.

I guess you are already satisfied with that too.

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

If you don't buy it, the shops won't sell it.

Like horse meat in Ikeas meatballs we may not know we are buying it. I very much doubt Sainsbury’s will label it alongside other chicken and ham pies: “organic pie”, “taste the difference pie”, “basics pie”, “chlorinated pie”. Oh no... it will be hidden - you might be safe with organic pie, but it may well fit the description for the premium priced “taste the difference” range.

Like horse meat in Ikeas meatballs we may not know we are buying it. I very much doubt Sainsbury’s will label it alongside other chicken and ham pies: “organic pie”, “taste the difference pie”, “basics pie”, “chlorinated pie”. Oh no... it will be hidden - you might be safe with organic pie, but it may well fit the description for the premium priced “taste the difference” range.
Horse meat is meat. What’s the difference? The difference is the welfare of the animal, whatever it is, leading up to and including its slaughter so that we humans can eat it.

I dabbled for a while buying meat off one of the country's most ethical producers. Red Ruby cattle, reared for 36 months, not the norm of 24, allowed to munch happily away on organic pasture whilst the hens scrabbled around in the hedgerows happily avoiding foxes and clucking merrily as they laid their beautiful organic eggs.

The meat was so marbled with fat that I could feel my coronary arteries seizing up by the mouthful. The old bird was scrawny and tough. Either cost about 50% more than Waitrose or MnS equivalent who at least promise high standards of animal welfare and a local British product.

It made me wonder. Why do I need so much meat? If the answers to gorging myself on it is to either pay 1950's prices per kilo with the cholesterol damage incidental but real or allow for the destruction of forests and horrible husbandry methods to deliver me lean and cheap meat then I would rather pay more and eat less. My body simply does not need it and there are a fascinating array of flavours to be had from alternatives.

I don't push my body to the limit any more but I still pound out many hours of high intensity CV activity every week. Going back to my childhood of eating meat rarely and sparingly has done me no harm. Less meat, pay more for it, cut out cruel and crap husbandry and explore alternatives to put on the plate. I am still a carnivore, just a happier, and probably healthier, one.

Don’t worry, we’ve got over losing our freedom of movement, right to retire in the sunshine, EU wide healthcare, mobile roaming, frictionless trade, strong financial services sector and healthy economy. He’s not whining about what we’ve lost.

He’s more concerned about what we are about to be forced to swallow as we sell or sovereignty and NHS to the United States.

I guess you are already satisfied with that too.
Stop whining. On and on about freedom of movement like we will all be banned from travel. When was the last time you went to Spain without a passport? My guess is none. Do your moaning
somewhere else. Try twitter. It's full of em

Last edited:
Stop whining. On and on about freedom of movement like we will all be banned from travel. When was the last time you went to Spain without a passport? My guess is none. Do your moaning
somewhere else. Try twitter. It's full of em

That’s a concerning lack of understanding of EU freedom of movement you’ve got there.

If you don’t like people pointing out that votes have consequences, don’t click on these threads. Or try Twitter.

That’s a concerning lack of understanding of EU freedom of movement you’ve got there.

If you don’t like people pointing out that votes have consequences, don’t click on these threads. Or try Twitter.

Freedom of movement and reciprocal rights is a grievous loss for us. I guess it will still be possible to retire to Southern Europe, and Portugal is likely to offer residency (golden visa) for anyone spending over €500,000 (€350,000 in development areas) on a home.

But living a year with young children attending local school is likely to be extremely difficult once the transition period ends.

Freedom of movement and reciprocal rights is a grievous loss for us. I guess it will still be possible to retire to Southern Europe, and Portugal is likely to offer residency (golden visa) for anyone spending over €500,000 (€350,000 in development areas) on a home.

But living a year with young children attending local school is likely to be extremely difficult once the transition period ends.

Absolutely.

I don't mind people pointing out anything that's actually TRUE.The uk was never even in the Schengen zone.
just sick of all you middle class moaning sore losers going on and on over and over again about the same things. ITS HAPPENED. GET OVER IT. if we are all stopped from going to Europe, which we quite clearly won't be, then start up your whinging. try your chlorinated chicken with some humble pie. as for clicking on threads I don't want to read I tried that with the b r exit only threads but then the whingers started renaming their threads things like ' chlorinated chicken recipes' to restart up their same old whining all over again.

I’ve re-read the thread from start to finish and up until your post, the EU was only mentioned a couple of times in passing, plus my light hearted comment about joining them. I think you probably stirred it up into a br exit debate. ;)

I don't mind people pointing out anything that's actually TRUE.The uk was never even in the Schengen zone.
just sick of all you middle class moaning sore losers going on and on over and over again about the same things. ITS HAPPENED. GET OVER IT. if we are all stopped from going to Europe, which we quite clearly won't be, then start up your whinging. try your chlorinated chicken with some humble pie. as for clicking on threads I don't want to read I tried that with the b r exit only threads but then the whingers started renaming their threads things like ' chlorinated chicken recipes' to restart up their same old whining all over again.

"Middle class moaning sore losers".

Good grief, grow up.

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

If you don't buy it, the shops won't sell it.
The problem is, if it’s cheap enough people will buy it and it then becomes the only choice in some outlets.

I do eat chicken, and Turkey on Thanksgiving, in the States when we are there, so no real problem with the product per se.

I have more of an issue of the distance the Chickens have to travel to get here, surely Chicken is something we can produce locally.

Amazing...after all this time you still haven’t got the first clue about what FOM means. Thick as a whale omelette.
Your right. I just don't get how it affects anyone in the UK after we leave as we were never in the schengen zone anyway. I must be really missing something here.

Your right. I just don't get how it affects anyone in the UK after we leave as we were never in the schengen zone anyway. I must be really missing something here.
Schengen countries have open internal borders. The EU has free movement of goods, capital, services, and labour. Once the transition period is over, currently scheduled for 31 December 2020, England, Scotland and Wales lose those four freedoms within the EU unless there are treaties in place for one or more of them.

It seems likely that after the end of the transition period British citizens will need to apply online for a permit to travel in the Schengen area, and that will restrict travel to 90 days in any 180 day period. For trips over 90 days it appears likely that you will need a visa issued by one of the Schengen countries. What I am unsure about is if Britons are undertaking a trip, such as we did in 2017/2018, if visas will be needed for each individual Schengen country, or if a long visa for one Schengen country will be valid for all Schengen countries.

Yes. You have failed to understand some fundamentals. I hope this doesn’t come back and cause you regret. But it’s certainly going to make life difficult for many Brits who had wanted to spend their retirement years exercising their rights to remain, take healthcare and draw pensions in a climate more conducive to good health, and in low cost regions where their pensions go further.

Yes. You have failed to understand some fundamentals. I hope this doesn’t come back and cause you regret. But it’s certainly going to make life difficult for many Brits who had wanted to spend their retirement years exercising their rights to remain, take healthcare and draw pensions in a climate more conducive to good health, and in low cost regions where their pensions go further.
I'll manage. Constantly whining about it won't change anything.

Last edited:

There are going to be negatives and positives.

Positives and negatives often depend on perspective. For example, is having fewer low skilled EU workers, such as Lithuanian dinner ladies or Lithuanian dinner gentlemen or Lithuanian dinner non-binary persons, a positive or negative?

Last edited:
Positives and negatives often depend on perspective. For example, is having fewer low skilled EU workers, such as Lithuanian dinner ladies, a positive or negative?
Depends whether their low skills include serving chlorinated chicken. And shouldn’t we be talking about Lithuanian dinner people?