Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Compact jump starters: worth it?

Suomi man

Suomi man

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hello!

A question to the forum: I´ve been considering getting one of those fancy, compact jump starters. Has anyone used them to jump start a Cali when the main battery is too low? Are they any good?

My idea is getting one as a back up just in case the main battery refuses to start the engine after a couple of days of staying put in the same place. But I can´t find reassurance that they will work on a 2.0 TDI, although they do seem to be great on smaller, petrol engines.

Do you reckon they are worth considering?

Thanks in advance!

I would have thought the question is more " Where do you stop?".
The main battery, under the bonnet, starts the vehicle, operates the In Car entertainment System, powers the electric side door, alarm and the lights in the central console as well as the dashboard 12v sockets. Everything else comes from the separate leisure battery.
So, if you switch of the electric side door, switch off the console lights so they are not activated by doors opening and are judicious in your use of the entertainment system then the engine battery should last for days if not weeks.
These starter packs will work, but are heavy. You have to ensure they are fully charged. They take up room, and how often are you likely to use it.
I would have thought carrying a set of jump leads would be more cost effective.
Just my opinion of course.:thumb

Just out of interest, how long does the radio last for when NOT on hook up? We are always too scared to leave it on.

Thanks WelshGas, and sorry for not giving life signs ;)

We´re not likely to be listening much to the radio when camping, we don´t have an electric door either and are easy on the console lights. What´s our problem then?

We tend to favour less-frequented spots. A set of jump leads is a must, but often there will be no one apart from us. And (this is the big one) we only have a preheater for the engine cooling system that allows some of the war air inside the van through the air vents. Very demanding on the battery and not that effective for warming up the interior. Eventually we´ll retrofit a parking heater, but for now we´ll have to make do.

The prospect of being stranded somewhere after being overconfident with our ineffective heating is what makes me consider getting a jump starter. They´re not that bulky and heavy anymore, but will they do the trick on a diesel? This one apparently does

PS: I´m not sure if it´s allowed to post links, apologies if not!

The charge in these chargers doesn't last forever, so you'll have to remember to charge it each time in advance of when you may need it. I just have a cheapo radio in the 'back' of the van which runs off a micro USB ...the same lead that powers my phones, tablet, sat nav etc.
The engine battery starts my van after 2 months of inactivity during winter so I'm pretty confident it will start me a after a few days of camping.

Yes, that´s sensible. My only worry is the heating (not the park heating), I´ve read it consumes a lot of battery juice. But maybe not so much as to not being able to start after say two days of camping. I´ll give it a try and keep an eye on the voltmeter. To be continued

Thanks all for the comments

I'm sorry I am getting confused. Are you talking about the Auxiliary Diesel Heater that heats the rear cabin?
If so then that is run off the Leisure Battery, not the Engine Battery.

If you are referring to the Diesel Engine Heater that starts automatically if the temperature is below 5c, then that only fires up AFTER the engine has started and uses the Alternator.

I'm sorry I am getting confused. Are you talking about the Auxiliary Diesel Heater that heats the rear cabin?
If so then that is run off the Leisure Battery, not the Engine Battery.

If you are referring to the Diesel Engine Heater that starts automatically if the temperature is below 5c, then that only fires up AFTER the engine has started and uses the Alternator.

I´m sorry it took me so long to reply, been out of the forum for a while.

Yes, I was referring to the diesel engine heater (not the parking heater). There´s an option that lets you use it to warm up the inside of the vehicle by fanning warm air through the front vents, it comes with a remote control and all. Apparently it´s designed mainly for defrosting the windscreen. It doesn´t sound very efficient for warming up the interior though: you would also be warming up the engine coolant circuit unnecessarily. Sounds pretty taxing for the main battery too...

Back