Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking in a Cali

R

Regann

we would be grateful if you could share your thoughts on the ease ( or not ) of cooking in the cali ( we are looking into buying one at the moment ). Looking at the pictures of the interior there doesn't seem much room to stand at the hob and have the table up for food preparation, we are going to see one in a couple of weeks time but would appreciate users experiences, thanks.
R&A

We do it quite often, and it is very doable. With the roof up you can stand in front of your kitchen, but most times when we cook inside, the cook of the moment sits at the rear bench.

%253Cuntitled%253E%252024.jpg
our daughter cooking in our Cali, a few weekends back

Many times we cook outside, though, especially when frying. Or a mix, the cooking inside, the frying outside. We do not want all the fat and frying smells in our Cali.

Regann said:
we would be grateful if you could share your thoughts on the ease ( or not ) of cooking in the cali ( we are looking into buying one at the moment ). Looking at the pictures of the interior there doesn't seem much room to stand at the hob and have the table up for food preparation, we are going to see one in a couple of weeks time but would appreciate users experiences, thanks.
R&A

Standing up cooking is an option if you fold up the table leg and move the table over the rear seat. It is held horizontal by the adjustable strap that hooks over the off side rear head rest and clips under the end of the table.

Alan

There are just two of us in the van so there is enough space to cook inside, even with the roof down and side door closed. But it is cramped and relies on co-operation.

So we only cook inside if the weather is bad and there is no alternative. We tend to just boil water/ pasta/ vegetables and things that do not create much smell inside the van

As 'er indoors is largely vegetarian she is sensitive to the cooking smells from my carnivorous diet lingering in the soft furnishings of the van. The whole French black pudding episode caused issues last year

We thus tend to cook outdoors, placing a camping gaz party grill and a camping gaz single burner on the table

As above I mainly use the hobs for boiling, soup, pasta, etc. although I must confess to a penchant for bacon sandwiches so the frying pan is occasionally used.

For everything else, slow cooker works fine.

We love cooking in the Cali. Often we go to Wimbledon Common just to cook lunch in the Cali if we can't get away that weekend. Favourites are pancakes for breakfast although I do go outside to toss them, various pasta dishes, cous cous, noodles, stir fry etc. we also bought a Quest small electric oven which when not in use is in the back. We have done pizza, garlic bread etc...being in the oven it keeps the smell at bay and its great for toast etc.
I do have a whistling kettle for the gas but if on hook up I have a small electric one....good for doing a cup of tea first thing in the morning if the beds are still being used or hot choc at night and hot water bottle. Have easily cooked a 5 course Italian meal
We also invested in the Outwell fold up barbeque for our trip last week and it was nice to sit outside and do the sausages especially as everyone else on the campsite had a BBQ. Get the campervan cookbook and you'll be amazed what you can do. I'm only limited by a fussy 11 yr old!
Happy cooking
Zebedee

Many thanks to everyone for replying - lots of good ideas. Your help is very much appreciated.
Regards,
R&A :thanks

In colder weather we cook inside - yes it's a bit cramped but it's fine. Washing up is always done in campsite washrooms unless it's REALLY unpleasant outside!

When it's warmer, we have a fairly basic Sunncamp camping stove - two rings and a grille. It uses the same 901 bottles as the Cali. We used this pretty much all the time during our five weeks away and it worked fine. We stick it on the Cali picnic table.

We cook all sorts from Paella and curries to chillis and pasta dishes.

You can just about see it on the left side of this photo - this was Northern Spain:

P1020364.jpg

My wife never fails to rustle up something tasty and easy to prepare, we just ensure we stock up with hassle free meals that need little preparation !!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398617161.399135.jpg

What's with the thermos :doh :doh :laugh2

Great aerial photo there cozmo. Fine looking other half too :thumb

Calikev said:
What's with the thermos :doh :doh :laugh2

Had made up a flask for when we went off walking but didn't use it so had it with our tea ;-)

We do basic stuff in the Cali but only fry bacon etc on the gas burner outside. When we were away over Easter I had the Music on, beer at hand, looking at the fantastic views. Couldn't get much better. Except that we are looking into getting some sort of bbq for when the weather is good. Have been looking at Cobbs, Lotus Grills and Cadaqs, think I need a separate post to discuss those...

I like the look of that Lotus one .. any first hand experience?

Just to say a big thank you again to everyone for the information and ideas.
R&A :thanks

Good find wim. We need to have a recipe section

We do basic stuff in the Cali but only fry bacon etc on the gas burner outside. When we were away over Easter I had the Music on, beer at hand, looking at the fantastic views. Couldn't get much better. Except that we are looking into getting some sort of bbq for when the weather is good. Have been looking at Cobbs, Lotus Grills and Cadaqs, think I need a separate post to discuss those...
The Cadac is an outstanding piece of compact kit, we used it all last year, I loved it. The non-stick griddle plate is an excellent extra but just make sure you level the table if cooking eggs.;)

I agree with how good the cadac is. We use it for loads of stuff. Warming pies while tinned veg is on the hobs. Jacket potatoes. And pancakes on the flat griddle plate.