Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking

A

Asprin

Older and wider
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
If I wanted egg and bacon in a morning and didn't want Colin smelling of it all day, what would you recommend as an additional source of cooking for use outside that is efficient and packs away neatly...Oh and doesn't rattle!

If I wanted egg and bacon in a morning and didn't want Colin smelling of it all day, what would you recommend as an additional source of cooking for use outside that is efficient and packs away neatly...Oh and doesn't rattle!
Oh and don't forget the awning or equivalent + sides for when it's blowing a gale with horizontal rain outside.
How do you manage at home?

We have a little CampingGaz bistro stove, works off the little gas canisters, we find it very portable, and not yet heard it rattle!!

Why don't you ask Colin to sit outside?

Tefal induction hob . Brilliant . Obviously you need to be on mains electric .

We have a Cadac Safari chef too, very versatile and great to use. We have recently got a second regulator with Calor fitting (because campinggaz fills are literally double the price in the Uk).

It's the one thing I am glad of the beach I am not tied to Campingaz from day 1 because frankly they are quite a rip off in the UK.

That said I do have a campingaz bistro too, great device burns very hot but again the gas is expensive unless you shop around.

I wager if someone could replace the bottle holder with a calor gas one a lot of UK owners might be happy.

Last edited:
Oh and don't forget the awning or equivalent + sides for when it's blowing a gale with horizontal rain outside.
How do you manage at home?

We've had kippers, curry, anything we fancy really - yes there is a smell for a while (ok the kippers left an aroma for let's say a week or so :) ), but assuming you do the same type of cleaning you would do at home, there is no lasting smell. We've had our van from new and it's now 7 years old and we don't have problems with residual food smells. I guess if you only cook in spring/summer it's generally ok and can of course be fun to cook outdoors, but we use our van all year round - bbq in January?

Having said all that I appreciate that some people would just not be comfortable cooking much if at all in their Cali - but if you're undecided - go for it!

View attachment 25910

I've said it before. Nothing wrong with egg and bacon cooked in the van!

Flowers on the table for breakfast as well !

With regards to food smells lingering, the only problem we had was lamb chops, we cooked them on one of our early trips and the smell lingered for a while, but since then we have cooked curries and other things in Cali without lingering smells.

As far a the original question, Cadac Safari Chef and small single induction hob.

It's ok. WG just wants them both!
:thanks But I'll skip the beans and mushrooms.

I, personally, just don't get this " Not cooking in the California because of the smell etc: ". Outdoor cooking is fine and I like a good barbecue and if you cook pizzas then that's a bit difficult on the gas rings. But why spend all that money and then not use the kitchen.

I bought a Ridge Monkey after recommendation here. It's not been outside the house yet because it's fab. Used for all sorts of things, including toasties.

Thanks to whoever recommended it. Going to get one for my mum as she has arthritic hands & it's so easy to use.

Very similar to my diablo which is much smaller but the ridgemonkey can fit a whole slice of bread in it.

I use a Cadac and a used MSR Dragonfly or similar sits around at home...

We use a Jetboil for hot water - tea etc. In bad weather use the 2 ring internal hob for everything else but when it's even passable outside enjoy cooking under the awning with either Safari or Carry Chef. Silicone liners for cadac are brilliant. No mess, minimal washing up. Have recently moved to a larger (6kg) propane bottle for offgrid cooking and powering #2 beer fridge simultaneoulsy. Snap fit gas connectors make it really easy to set up and can run from the propane or spare 907 carried for Cali.

I have an extra table outside to sit our toaster, kettle, nespresso machine and electric grill on. Great during summer camping; as we head into very early fall, depends on weather.