Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

I own a caravan park and have just received this from my trade organisation.

Emergency legislation has been laid which amongst other measures, will give Government power where necessary to close premises (see under ‘Delaying and slowing the virus’, on thislink).
Across Europe, holiday and touring parks are being closed to the public by law (except where they are that person’s usual domicile). Therefore, BH&HPA members need to prepare their holiday or touring park business for the possibility of mandatory closure.

I think that it is only a matter of time.

See post #4
Buy yourself a load of paint and a few boxes of Duvels, stay at home
and knock yourself out. :thumb
I have a crate and a half full of Duvel. Some Duvel Tripel Hop (citrus), some Duvel Tripel Hop Cashmere, Delirium Tremens Blond, 8x Tripel Karmeliet, 7x Hapkin, and some (approx. 30) others I don't know yet.

Will that take me through that period?

After that I can switch to some Bison Grass, and another Polish wodka.
Oh, the bottles of champagne are still cold too...

No, I don't have a problem (yet).

I have a crate and a half full of Duvel. Some Duvel Tripel Hop (citrus), some Duvel Tripel Hop Cashmere, Delirium Tremens Blond, 8x Tripel Karmeliet, 7x Hapkin, and some (approx. 30) others I don't know yet.

Will that take me through that period?

After that I can switch to some Bison Grass, and another Polish wodka.
Oh, the bottles of champagne are still cold too...

No, I don't have a problem (yet).
That seems like a good stock for a few days :)
Im gonna clear out that drawer in the kitchen
that is full of crap, if i get that done it will be a
bonus.

Talking of impact, as the current restrictions in the UK are designed to "flatten the curve" and in doing so lessen the load on the Health Services when the real crunch comes possibly next winter, I wonder if our Government and those of other countries around the world, are making plans to cope with the enivitable explosion in the birth rate with, in our case, the associated pressure on our NHS over the Christmas/New Year period. With people in many countries confined to barracks or "working from home", a bit of rumpy pumpy is clearly going to provide a tempting distraction from the woes of the world outside.

Then there's the divorce rate. That may spike when couples, forced into spending more time together self isolating, run out of crockery to throw at each other. Still I suppose there's always Amazon home deliveries.

Alcohol consumption and home DIY will obviously increase. As these two are not necessarily mutually compatible, A and E departments can expect to see more visitors.

And another thing. I've always maintained that when choosing a pet one should always go for something edible just in case the relationship doesn't work out. Therefore, if there are food shortages in shops, vets may start to see their customer base shrinking. :thumb

Last edited:
Our minds are on the same track about 12 months and there will be a shortage of midwives and the divorce courts are going to be busy. Already named as the Corinials.

I was up the ladder yesterday as I’m doing the hall stairs and landings. I was more careful than normal thinking of the repercussions of a trip to casualty.

I reckon I’ll be in your shoes soon Borris. Currently no grandchildren but three boys average of 32 at home with their partners.

I’m striving to make sure that any new arrivals will be additions to the family and not replacements.

Mike

Just found this on the camping & caravan club site:
Issued 19th March 2020

The Camping and Caravanning Club is committed to keeping our members, guests and team safe, informed and supported.

For now, our campsites are currently open as usual and our staff are working hard to give you a Friendly Club Welcome. We'll let you know if this changes, or if there are any changes to individual campsites opening at the start of the season.

Above all we want you to enjoy your holiday and time spent with us. Following the announcement on Monday 16th March, we're responding to the latest Government guidance. With immediate effect to give our members the most flexibility we are allowing customers to amend their current UK Club Sites, Ready Camp and Camping in the Forest bookings to dates any time between now and the end of 2020 with no charge incurred. The booking can be moved to any site and can be amended unlimited times. If, however, you cancel your booking the standard cancellation policy applies. It's really important to us that if our members have taken the decision to stay with us that they feel comfortable on site. We will run campsites underoccupancy to allow bigger distances between pitches and we will not be able to accommodate social gatherings or meets. In line with Government advice, we have taken the decision to close any bars, social and communal areas on sites. For campsites with facility blocks, they will remain open.

We all have to take sensible precautions following the latest Government health and travel advice. We are proud of the cleanliness of our campsites and have taken on additional cleaning protocols. We would ask that if you are on our campsites you follow the latest advice on hygiene and hand washing, and self-isolation at home for 14 days if you, or any of your party are displaying any symptoms. For more information about helping to prevent the spread of coronavirus, please visit: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/.

Our minds are on the same track about 12 months and there will be a shortage of midwives and the divorce courts are going to be busy. Already named as the Corinials.

I was up the ladder yesterday as I’m doing the hall stairs and landings. I was more careful than normal thinking of the repercussions of a trip to casualty.

I reckon I’ll be in your shoes soon Borris. Currently no grandchildren but three boys average of 32 at home with their partners.

I’m striving to make sure that any new arrivals will be additions to the family and not replacements.

Mike
Yes, do be careful Mike. Leave the tipple until youv'e come down from that ladder.

If you do end up with grandchildren following this spell of limbo then I'm sure they will do their level best to undo all of your decorating endeavours. It's going to be a bit quite around here with the little tinkers being at home with their parents. Quite a novelty!

Actually, I broke cover yesterday but only to go to B&Q and Screwfix to get supplies for the duration. (I'm painting the conservatory and our Pub shed). Both places were rammed with people doing exactly the same thing.

Best wishes to you both,
P and P

Then there's the divorce rate. That may spike when couples forced into spending more time together self isolating, run out of crockery to throw at each other. Still I suppose there's always Amazon home deliveries.

Sadly, very likely. For domestic abuse victims, home isn't a safe environment. There's plenty of evidence from past epidemics around the world that domestic abuse and violence levels spike when home isolation is imposed. Charities are expecting that will happen here over the coming weeks and months.

Actually, I broke cover yesterday but only to go to B&Q and Screwfix to get supplies for the duration. (I'm painting the conservatory and our Pub shed). Both places were rammed with people doing exactly the same thing.

What your conservatory and pub shed were rammed with the masses??
:upsidedown

yup, seems sensible top me given that you can be either entirely asymptomatic or at least for up to ten days. If one of us turns up there and gets super sick, could spread it to the whole place pretty quickly. Lock-down is lock-down. While traveling feels 'safe' you mostly still need to go to petrol stations, shops, (in this case ferries), public toilets etc. and if you have it, it's not easy to avoid spreading it.

Couldn’t believe it in B&Q yesterday.
Wanted some Fence/Shed paint to keep busy.
Large Tub of Cuprinol 9L for £18 . Only a few left.

Cuprinol 5L for £8 . Whole shelf full.

Whichever way you look at it be it on cost or volume a lot of shoppers have been had.

Don’t think there are many hospital beds in the Outer Hebrides, let alone Critical Care Facilities. So they will have their own problems without selfishly adding to them.

When the All Clear has been sounded many tourist destinations will then want us to visit, those who have weathered the economic downturn, to help them recover.

UK wise there is a lockdown message expected very soon, which will take it out of the hands of individuals. It will depend on whether campsites are deemed critical services, I suspect not.

Couldn’t believe it in B&Q yesterday.
Wanted some Fence/Shed paint to keep busy.
Large Tub of Cuprinol 9L for £18 . Only a few left.

Cuprinol 5L for £8 . Whole shelf full.

Whichever way you look at it be it on cost or volume a lot of shoppers have been had.
Maybe they reduced the price to shift the small ones?

I have just returned home three days early from a camping trip.

I found using the washrooms to be a stressful affair.

Go in, do what I have to, wash my hands, then leave ..... but hold on, that means touching the door handle ..... go back, grab a bit of loo roll to open the door with .... but now I've touched the loo roll holder ...... wash hands, curse like mad at the saturated bit of loo roll still in hand..... open the bin to dump it in .... now I've touched the bin I now need to wash my hands ...... then leave ..... that door handle ........

Spending the whole bloody holiday trapped in the bogs was no joke!! :shocked

Hi there

I haven’t done any research as yet but are campsite closed due to the current situation?

I wondered about going off in the van for a couple of days and keeping ourselves to ourselves but staying at some sites. Guessing this is not allowed at present?

Thanks for any info x
Some sites are closing but not all. Caravan and motorhome club sent out an news brief saying their club sites would stay open, but had a list of measures to keep people safe.

They must be cockerhoop- a legitimate reason to put up loads of signs with do’s and don’ts.

Just think about where you fancy going, look on their website or give them a ring.

This was posted on the Internet by an NHS worker. Food for thought:

I am a proud owner/builder of Betty the transit van and LOVE wild camping.
I'm also a proud NHS staff member that is front line nursing the supersick from covid 19. I have seen a lot of posts regarding whether to still go away? That you'll be isolated so it's still social distancing??

PLEASE STAY HOME. Each NHS area has an idea how many people live nearby and we account for those when the bigwigs are trying to figure out how many ventilators we need.

The police and fire brigade will be putting their resources into helping our fight to treat those that are ill.

I completely understand the idea behind self isolation in your van in the middle of nowhere BUT if you are to become sick and it's possible that even if your fit and healthy (it could happen as this virus is new and we just don't know enough about it) your taking essential resources from potentially a remote area forcing clinicians to have to make heartbreaking choices of who to treat with the limited resources.
If you were to break down you will want A mechanic to help and potentially infect him and his family. If you were to catch fire a fire brigade would come to the rescue. Petrol station staff should be at risk because your going to need fuel? The hypothetical list is endless and unfortunately in this unknown territory its time to plan for the worst.

If when this all blows over I've been a fabulous little drama queen then you may all blame me for lack of adventure but I plead for you to not put any further pressure on us. We are already stretched so thin before covid 19.

Just so you really understand the severity of this I have moved out of my family home leaving my husband and 2 children and staying with a colleague so that i do not risk infecting my family but I also don't have to self isolate if they do. We are prepping for war here and sacrificing huge amounts. Please sacrifice your trip for us.

I’ve had 2 discussions today with folks who work for the same international oil company I used to work for.

One (over 70) and recently retired (also just returned in a rush from a golf holiday in Turkey to then discover original flight home next week has been cancelled). He says there is no way he’s going to stay at home. He’ll be at the golf course where he is 2m at least from everyone.

The other just come back from a week in Dubai and kids straight back to school and parents to work (whilst in jobs where home working is possible, and recommended).

They then volunteer for the local community ‘let’s help each other’ page. I message the page saying folk should be careful as they could inadvertently spread the virus by cooking and getting supplies for neighbours..

Below is the response I received.

What do others think?
Thanks in advance.

I think this is all getting a bit ridiculous. Standard hygiene stops the spread. Unless someone who has it sneezes , coughs or touches their eyes, nose and mouth, then touches food all is fine. If not the nurses etc would all have caught it. It’s a virus, and whilst it’s symptoms are more severe than others it still behaves in the same way as other viruses. Coronavirus is not new - it’s the strain that is different.
Sorry, but that’s my view and we need to take a step back and remember that - whilst folk are every right to be anxious for themselves and their families / friends / population we also need to put things in perspective. (In my opinion)
UNQUOTE

From 20 March Calmac will stop taking new bookings on all services up to and including 15 July as a result of the ongoing #COVID19 pandemic.

On Radio 2 today, the resident doctor (can't recall her name) made a point that really resonated with me. I paraphrase, but she said....

This virus can and will infect perfectly healthy people. Continuing to go to the pub, out to restaurants or carry on as normal will increase the percentage of who gets infected concurrently. Now whilst it is less likely that these people will die from the virus, a percentage will get ill enough that they need to hospitalised. The bed they occupy will therefore not be available to an elderly person who could die.

By going to the pub (or golf, or whatever) and getting it bad enough to require a hospital bed, these people will directly be responsible for someone else dying.

THIS is why we should isolate. Not for ourselves, but to ensure beds are kept free for those that really need it.

When I heard this, it really made me think in a different way. I had no plans to go to the pub, but meeting with a few mates for bike rides in the countryside was on the cards. I've now decided not to...it's just not worth it.

I’ve had 2 discussions today with folks who work for the same international oil company I used to work for.

One (over 70) and recently retired (also just returned in a rush from a golf holiday in Turkey to then discover original flight home next week has been cancelled). He says there is no way he’s going to stay at home. He’ll be at the golf course where he is 2m at least from everyone.

The other just come back from a week in Dubai and kids straight back to school and parents to work (whilst in jobs where home working is possible, and recommended).

They then volunteer for the local community ‘let’s help each other’ page. I message the page saying folk should be careful as they could inadvertently spread the virus by cooking and getting supplies for neighbours..

Below is the response I received.

What do others think?
Thanks in advance.

I think this is all getting a bit ridiculous. Standard hygiene stops the spread. Unless someone who has it sneezes , coughs or touches their eyes, nose and mouth, then touches food all is fine. If not the nurses etc would all have caught it. It’s a virus, and whilst it’s symptoms are more severe than others it still behaves in the same way as other viruses. Coronavirus is not new - it’s the strain that is different.
Sorry, but that’s my view and we need to take a step back and remember that - whilst folk are every right to be anxious for themselves and their families / friends / population we also need to put things in perspective. (In my opinion)
UNQUOTE
Think they are underestimating the seriousness of the situation and frankly being selfish. Their actions could result in serious implications for another human being.

Back