Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

I don't know what you knew. (But if you knew what I know...).

I think the point most people here are trying to make is that even if this is the case, you are being asked very politely not too PLEASE.
Who by?

Certainly not the Government. (OK - there was one minister who got it wrong and later corrected himself).

Certainly not the law.

It seems to me that the only people saying that you can't drive to a place to exercise are those who cannot correctly interpret government advice or the law.

Do I need to go? Do I need to take the car?

I am, as they say, OUT of this conversation. It’s too frustrating. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home.

I’m thinking of hiding the Easter Eggs in the van - they should be safe . . . . even tho I have started taking my midday break with a coffee and magazine in the van too . . . .

The rise in Car usage could well be NHS and other frontline staff using cars now that many parking charges and restrictions have been dropped. I gather the London Conjestion and Low Emissions Zone charges have been suspended.

But then you'd probably expect bus and tube usage to go down whereas the data seem to show the opposite.

Police chiefs have told officers that people should not be punished for driving a reasonable distance to exercise, and that blanket checks were disproportionate, in a bid to quell a row about heavy-handed enforcement of the coronavirus lockdown.

I too have built 8 14"high raised beds and had 7 tonnes of nice compost topsoil delivered last week. Plan was for fit son in law to barrow round but we are sticking to guidelines and he is not coming round or driving over (15 mins away). So Cee & I have a wheelbarrow + a baby buggy with a large carry-bag and are moving it slowly..we have moved 5.5 tonnes in 6 days!
Seedlings are growing, some plants ordered online from T&M b4 they closed for more orders due to demand
I have also laid a patio outside greenhouse using old slabs piled in a corner (been on agenda for years) next is some rotovating ..

oh and I have a magazine to compile as well!

hardest thing is not seeing grandchildren who are too little to understand why they can't see us properly
But I count myself as lucky and privileged with a nice garden and open country around me and a small PO / village store with stocks of basic stuff 5 mins walk away ...

keeping busy means I am not watching TV gloom all day and go to bed knackered at 9.30 after only one glass of wine

Same here David, missing grandchildren, third of an acre garden so keeping fit and busy - taking opportunity to get caught up on some of the bigger projects

Don’t normally like to just post a link but this is a good read.

Nothing much new there but puts it all together to explain the numbers.

Coronavirus: How to understand the death toll https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Mike

Yes a good article. A classic public health statistician's problem: "dying of" versus "dying with". Although in the long run mortality is 100%.

Don’t normally like to just post a link but this is a good read.

Nothing much new there but puts it all together to explain the numbers.

Coronavirus: How to understand the death toll https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

1585816919385.png

I do wish that when a log scale is used, they did so alongside a standard scale.

It is very interesting to see that the death figures recorded are of those who died while having tested positive for COVID-19, and not, necessarily of COVID-19. I heard early on that Germany used different criteria for its COVID-19 deaths to Britain and, if true, wonder if this explains the seemingly low death rate in Germany, I wonder too if the same is true of Japan and South Korea. In China a great number of people died without having been tested, so it is unknown if they would have tested positive for COVID-19.

View attachment 56874

I do wish that when a log scale is used, they did so alongside a standard scale.

It is very interesting to see that the death figures recorded are of those who died while having tested positive for COVID-19, and not, necessarily of COVID-19. I heard early on that Germany used different criteria for its COVID-19 deaths to Britain and, if true, wonder if this explains the seemingly low death rate in Germany, I wonder too if the same is true of Japan and South Korea. In China a great number of people died without having been tested, so it is unknown if they would have tested positive for COVID-19.

We have the same situation in France, deaths are only attributed to COVID-19 if the person has been tested positive.
We currently have a very sharp increase in deaths of people in retirement homes (EPHAD) which are assumed to be COVID-19 linked but are not counted as no test has been done, there is talk that the figures will be corrected to take this into account (we shall see).
Deaths in France are obviously higher than present figures show.

My partner, a nurse, has just had a call from her sister in London for “some inside information“. She’d spent an hour in a black cab getting to work listening to the cabbies conspiracy theories and is now on the verge of a nervous breakdown!

My partner, a nurse, has just had a call from her sister in London for “some inside information“. She’d spent an hour in a black cab getting to work listening to the cabbies conspiracy theories and is now on the verge of a nervous breakdown!
I had 3 cousins who were London Cabbies. What they didn’t know on any subject you could write on a postage stamp. Most of it was Bo@#ocks!

Ignoring the constant information from WHO determined the current policy (couldn't resist the pun!) or the usual expert from John Hopkins Centre for infectious disease(Gates funded) constantly quoted. The former group incidentally recommended Tamiflu be stockpiled for 2010 flu pandemic of at a world cost of $48billion (£500million in UK alone) It was based on falcified evidence of efficacy and OH yes the medical experts at WHO forgot to mention they had received payments from the Pharmaceutical companies. Not conjecture but subject of an Editorial in the British Medical Journal, apparently these experts did not think there was aconflict of interest that needed mentioning. By the way the enrire ineffective stockpile was destroyed 2 years later unused.

Dr Kilbourne, emeritus professor of microbiology and immunology at New York Medical College, has spent his professional life in the study of infectious diseases, particularly virus infections. His early studies of coxsackieviruses and herpes simplex preceded study of influenza in all of its manifestations. Primary contributions have been to understanding of influenza virus structure, genetics, molecular epidemiology, and pathogenesis. His studies of influenza virus genetics resulted in the first genetically engineered vaccine for the prevention of human disease, and a new approach to influenza immunization received 2 US patents.
I quote, from his excellent paper about the future of influenza control.

Influenza Pandemics of the 20th Century

Preparing for the Unpredictable
Yes, we can prepare, but with the realization that no amount of hand washing, hand wringing, public education, or gauze masks will do the trick (27). The keystone of influenza prevention is vaccination. It is unreasonable to believe that we can count on prophylaxis with antiviral agents to protect a large, vulnerable population for more than a few days at a time, and that is not long enough.

I know Corona is not influenza in that there is and will not be a vacccine. Careful how many civil liberties you give up!
As soon as this is over, 3-18 months time, ensure you lobby your MP to get this current legislation removed

Do I need to go? Do I need to take the car?

I am, as they say, OUT of this conversation. It’s too frustrating. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home.
Question Time tonight. Matt Hancock. 54 minutes into the programme. Available on iPlayer.

Paraphrase:
I think that going out and getting exercise is important.
Always go back to the public health reasons for the restrictions.
The reasons for the advice to stay at home is not to come into close contact with other people.
To get in your car and drive for a short distance to go for a walk in solitude is absolutely fine because you are not coming into contact with other people.
The advice is really clear about that.
It is rare for a politician to talk such sense. This Coronavirus has thrown up all sorts of unexpected things - from the Prime Minister grounding the entire nation for the misbehaviour of a few, to the conversion of an exhibition centre into the biggest critical care unit in the world. But perhaps the biggest shock of all is Chief Constables, particularly in rural areas, believing that the lockdown measures were aimed at preventing desolate areas of countryside from becoming centres of viral exchange.

The vitriol on this group aimed at those who understood the "really clear" regulations and guidance is a little akin to lambasting a dog owner for not having a dog licence. There is no such regulation.

Last edited:
Ignoring the constant information from WHO determined the current policy (couldn't resist the pun!) or the usual expert from John Hopkins Centre for infectious disease(Gates funded) constantly quoted. The former group incidentally recommended Tamiflu be stockpiled for 2010 flu pandemic of at a world cost of $48billion (£500million in UK alone) It was based on falcified evidence of efficacy and OH yes the medical experts at WHO forgot to mention they had received payments from the Pharmaceutical companies. Not conjecture but subject of an Editorial in the British Medical Journal, apparently these experts did not think there was aconflict of interest that needed mentioning. By the way the enrire ineffective stockpile was destroyed 2 years later unused.

Dr Kilbourne, emeritus professor of microbiology and immunology at New York Medical College, has spent his professional life in the study of infectious diseases, particularly virus infections. His early studies of coxsackieviruses and herpes simplex preceded study of influenza in all of its manifestations. Primary contributions have been to understanding of influenza virus structure, genetics, molecular epidemiology, and pathogenesis. His studies of influenza virus genetics resulted in the first genetically engineered vaccine for the prevention of human disease, and a new approach to influenza immunization received 2 US patents.
I quote, from his excellent paper about the future of influenza control.

Influenza Pandemics of the 20th Century

Preparing for the Unpredictable
Yes, we can prepare, but with the realization that no amount of hand washing, hand wringing, public education, or gauze masks will do the trick (27). The keystone of influenza prevention is vaccination. It is unreasonable to believe that we can count on prophylaxis with antiviral agents to protect a large, vulnerable population for more than a few days at a time, and that is not long enough.

I know Corona is not influenza in that there is and will not be a vacccine. Careful how many civil liberties you give up!
As soon as this is over, 3-18 months time, ensure you lobby your MP to get this current legislation removed
What’s that got to do with Fred’s massive one

A lot, as the Hippocampus is the first part of the brain to deteriorate in Alzeimers (responsible for memory functions) clearly if you have a big one to start with you will retain your knowledge for longer, so the cabby with still be the font of all knowledge when he gets old!

I hate to resurrect old topics but just to close out the claims on this thread a few days ago that mosques were still open:

Once again shows how it's always easy just to pass on fake news, especially if it happens to align with your own world view, than to first apply a minute's thought that someone out there might just possibly be trying to manipulate you.

Back