Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

I agree about the MOT. There will nothing to stop a claimant or the police taking you to court if you are driving a car that's not fit to be on the road. But I'd be calling Matt Hancock as a witness for the defence if I was done for driving to the woods to walk the dog!
Confusion reigns!

I agree about the MOT. There will nothing to stop a claimant or the police taking you to court if you are driving a car that's not fit to be on the road. But I'd be calling Matt Hancock as a witness for the defence if I was done for driving to the woods to walk the dog!
Confusion reigns!
From the advice to the Police you wouldn’t be stopped. But if you were involved in an accident then it depends on your Insurance Company. You might have to convince them your trip was essential. 2 or 4 miles for exercise possible 5 or more ?

My understanding was that the MOT expiry date had been extended by 6 months , not that you were allowed to drive without an MOT .

Oh well. This thread is about to go downhill in a big way.

F179BE87-C0D3-4B3D-B7E9-83BB03D48A52.jpeg

My understanding was that the MOT expiry date had been extended by 6 months , not that you were allowed to drive without an MOT .
Suppose that would make sense as the MOT is only proof that the car was tested and roadworthy on the date of the test, not a permit to allow It to deteriorate over 12 months.

Suppose that would make sense as the MOT is only proof that the car was tested and roadworthy on the date of the test, not a permit to allow It to deteriorate over 12 months.

There is absolutely nothing new here. The MOT certificate is a legally mandated piece of paper that shows your car has been through the MOT test in the past 12 months (being extended up to 18 months in the current situation). It remains as always that it is an offence to have an un-roadworthy vehicle on the road, even if you have a valid MOT certificate.

Would it make any difference if you were driving an unroadworthy vehicle to go for a walk wearing lycra? :shocked

Would it make any difference if you were driving an unroadworthy vehicle to go for a walk wearing lycra? :shocked
No, that's not the problem, it's those who are unworthy of wearing lycra who drive/bike/walk on the road.

Last edited:
I see the Donald is suggesting everyone should where a mask...... except him!

And yesterday in Der Spiegel was this - accusing the yanks of piracy.

Heres a rough translation.

Berlin wanted to protect its police from the corona virus with hundreds of thousands of protective masks - but an urgently needed delivery was not received. The reason: The United States confiscated the goods in Bangkok, as Berlin's Senator for the Interior Andreas Geisel (SPD) announced.

The FFP2 class masks, which can protect against infection with the corona virus, were intended for the police of the capital, according to him. Berlin ordered and paid for them from a US company. As the "Tagesspiegel" and the RBB report, the masks were manufactured by the US manufacturer 3M in China. Official information on this is not yet available. In Bangkok, they were then redirected to the United States, the reports said.

Geisel criticized the United States' actions sharply. "We consider this an act of modern piracy," he said. "This is not how you deal with transatlantic partners. Wild West methods should not be used even in times of global crisis." The federal government must urge the United States to comply with international rules. Apparently, the confiscation of the shipment was "related to the US government's ban on mask exports," said Geisel. The United States rejects the allegations. The White House told the news portal "t-online.de" that the USA had not confiscated or taken any masks that were to be delivered to another country. A senior government official spoke of "disinformation" that was completely wrong, writes "t-online.de". When buying materials from other countries, the US went the "appropriate channels", it said.

Berlin is not alone in losing. For example, French politicians recently accused the United States of buying up protective mask supplies for China in France. So far there is no official statement from the US government. Only an anonymous government official told AFP that the accusations from France were "completely wrong". The US government has "not bought a single mask that China should deliver to France." However, Canada is also reviewing reports that U.S. orders have been stopped.

I see the Donald is suggesting everyone should where a mask...... except him!

The UK and WHO has been saying public should NOT wear them.

It’s increasingly looking like this advice was wrong and even homemade cloth masks have ‘some’ benefits.

Cock up? Or deliberate Misinformation?

And yesterday in Der Spiegel was this - accusing the yanks of piracy.

Heres a rough translation.

Berlin wanted to protect its police from the corona virus with hundreds of thousands of protective masks - but an urgently needed delivery was not received. The reason: The United States confiscated the goods in Bangkok, as Berlin's Senator for the Interior Andreas Geisel (SPD) announced.

The FFP2 class masks, which can protect against infection with the corona virus, were intended for the police of the capital, according to him. Berlin ordered and paid for them from a US company. As the "Tagesspiegel" and the RBB report, the masks were manufactured by the US manufacturer 3M in China. Official information on this is not yet available. In Bangkok, they were then redirected to the United States, the reports said.

Geisel criticized the United States' actions sharply. "We consider this an act of modern piracy," he said. "This is not how you deal with transatlantic partners. Wild West methods should not be used even in times of global crisis." The federal government must urge the United States to comply with international rules. Apparently, the confiscation of the shipment was "related to the US government's ban on mask exports," said Geisel. The United States rejects the allegations. The White House told the news portal "t-online.de" that the USA had not confiscated or taken any masks that were to be delivered to another country. A senior government official spoke of "disinformation" that was completely wrong, writes "t-online.de". When buying materials from other countries, the US went the "appropriate channels", it said.

Berlin is not alone in losing. For example, French politicians recently accused the United States of buying up protective mask supplies for China in France. So far there is no official statement from the US government. Only an anonymous government official told AFP that the accusations from France were "completely wrong". The US government has "not bought a single mask that China should deliver to France." However, Canada is also reviewing reports that U.S. orders have been stopped.

It is a bit rich of the Germans since they took exactly the same steps to protect their own supplies on March 4th

The UK and WHO has been saying public should NOT wear them.

It’s increasingly looking like this advice was wrong and even homemade cloth masks have ‘some’ benefits.

Cock up? Or deliberate Misinformation?
What would be the point of “misinformation”?

It is a bit rich of the Germans since they took exactly the same steps to protect their own supplies on March 4th
Not really, i would've thought that March 4th was a good time to - take stock- as
the crisis was looming.

Anyone would do the same wouldn't they.

You would look a clown if you didn't take any measures and then realise
that Brian in logistics has just shipped 50 million masks off to Russia.

No, that's not the problem, it's those who are unworthy of wearing lycra who are on the road.

Agree.

View attachment 56948
View attachment 56949

Common sense prevails. I went to walk the dogs local to me last night as the weather was overcast and I thought there would be fewer people out. We started and I thought b......ks to this, the risk is far greater.

Popped the 3 dogs in the California and drove out to the Forest. I admit instead of 5miles I drove 9miles. Two reasons for this. One, the forest car park is closed and as we go out at dusk (quieter) I don't like leaving the Cali unattended. (Too many self-righteous people around at the moment). The second, the Solent means I can't take a more direct route, thus increasing the distance I need to travel.

Wish me luck. We need to go shopping for food. Not doing it this weekend. Hoping a Monday afternoon will be quiet.

Not really, i would've thought that March 4th was a good time to - take stock- as
the crisis was looming.

Anyone would do the same wouldn't they.

You would look a clown if you didn't take any measures and then realise
that Brian in logistics has just shipped 50 million masks off to Russia.

I don't blame the Germans at all for taking the steps they took. As you say, anyone would do the same. What I think is a bit wrong is that when the US take the same steps (i.e. prevent US manufactured PPE being exported to Germany) they are accused of piracy by Berlin's interior minister. No-one accused them of piracy when they prevented exports of PPE from Germany in early March, even though there will have been countries crying out for the equipment at that time.

It's okay, we can all go back to our normal lives. They've found the cause of coronavirus. Apparent it's 5G.

(It must be true, someone said so on Facebook).

I don't blame the Germans at all for taking the steps they took. As you say, anyone would do the same. What I think is a bit wrong is that when the US take the same steps (i.e. prevent US manufactured PPE being exported to Germany) they are accused of piracy by Berlin's interior minister. No-one accused them of piracy when they prevented exports of PPE from Germany in early March, even though there will have been countries crying out for the equipment at that time.
I didn't see it as the US taking the same steps.
On the 4th March the germans put a stop to any orders being taken.

The deal with 3M was already done and was intercepted at BKK.

A slight difference in my view.

I didn't see it as the US taking the same steps.
On the 4th March the germans put a stop to any orders being taken.

The deal with 3M was already done and was intercepted at BKK.

A slight difference in my view.

Well I suppose none of us really knows the exact truth of it. Clearly the US account is different to the German account, but I suspect that the frontline Health Workers in the US will be grateful for the equipment.

Also, if the reports are to be believed, Germany did not just stop taking orders, they blocked deliveries to other countries that were already in the pipeline.

What would be the point of “misinformation”?

why were they so insistent?
The allegation in the US is maybe they had an ulterior motive, to discourage use, perhaps to keep supplies for health workers. A worthy goal maybe, but not the best way of going about it

Last edited:
Back