Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

Or is it a case of people avoiding public transport as seen as unsafe, In London the congestion charge is waived, a lot of parking is free, certainly on a lot of our building sites car sharing is almost none existent now so where we might have had 10 blokes turn up in a minibus theres now probably 8 cars.

Clare now drives to work. Previously she wouldn’t have dreamed of driving into central London. Parking controls in Lewisham have evaporated.

Or is it a case of people avoiding public transport as seen as unsafe, In London the congestion charge is waived, a lot of parking is free, certainly on a lot of our building sites car sharing is almost none existent now so where we might have had 10 blokes turn up in a minibus theres now probably 8 cars.

That’s good news then and hopefully explains the blip up

Mike

I thought the advice was clear

Exercise, go for a run, walk or bike ride FROM your home, does not include driving in your car or vehicle first to get to a location. Perhaps I’m lucky to be able to understand such a basic instruction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really important IMO that we don't lose sight of the need to sustain people's well-being through this whole episode. Although the majority of us will be none the worse for a few weeks 'locked down', the second-order effects on health from the movement restrictions are potentially severe for a lot of people who are already vulnerable to anxiety and depression and other conditions.

The effects of quarantine on MH is well documented from other situations. The Lancet did a meta-review last month that points to a very severe elevation of MH conditions.

My point in context of this thread is that people need to feel they have choices, as far as possible, to adapt in their own terms to the public health measures (eg deciding whether and when they should go out, within broadly-framed guidelines). The Lancet review showed that giving people that kind of personal agency is broadly protective against a lot of the MH hazards of quarantine measures.

Really important IMO that we don't lose sight of the need to sustain people's well-being through this whole episode. Although the majority of us will be none the worse for a few weeks 'locked down', the second-order effects on health from the movement restrictions are potentially severe for a lot of people who are already vulnerable to anxiety and depression and other conditions.

The effects of quarantine on MH is well documented from other situations. The Lancet did a meta-review last month that points to a very severe elevation of MH conditions.

My point in context of this thread is that people need to feel they have choices, as far as possible, to adapt in their own terms to the public health measures (eg deciding whether and when they should go out, within broadly-framed guidelines). The Lancet review showed that giving people that kind of personal agency is broadly protective against a lot of the MH hazards of quarantine measures.

MH is a big concern. I am one of the "check and chat" volunteers for checking in to vulnerable people in 12 weeks total lockdown. Already there has been a lot of anxiety as to "how am I going to manage". The fear of "managing" far outweighs the fear of the virus itself.

Exercise, go for a run, walk or bike ride FROM your home, does not include driving in your car or vehicle first to get to a location. Perhaps I’m lucky to be able to understand such a basic instruction

You thought the advice was clear? I think it’s very far from clear.

My mum’s fine. My dad’s really suffering from being confined.

I wanted to go around there with the boys the other day so we could chat from the pavement while they stood in the doorway 5 metres away. Mum wouldn’t let us, concerned at what the neighbours might say.

I’m not sure what can be done to improve things for the next eleven weeks.

Still unclear?? Do you need it written bigger? smaller words? How can we help?
Perhaps you could make it bigger/smaller/bolder etc for most of the Police forces throughout the country who obviously find it pretty far from clear too. :D

There is no prohibition on driving where necessary even to walk or run. I do think the Government, which after all has some pretty big issues to focus on, is leaving it to common sense as much as possible. The moment there is evidence that people are still congregating in certain areas with potentially unhealthy proximity to each other then we get the French and Irish solution. No more than 2km from home.

14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?
We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.

You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.

We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors.

Can you provide further details on the restriction of car use for getting to a place to exercise?

You thought the advice was clear? I think it’s very far from clear.

Actually, it is quite clear.

There is no prohibition on using a car to drive to a place for exercise. Anyone who says differently is making it up.

There is no prohibition on using a car to drive to a place for exercise. Anyone who says differently is making it up.

Or my post a few above yours which is from Gov.uk

Last edited:
Well, just back from my run and pleased to note there were only six cars in the beachside car park so I was able to run through it without problem.... although I do have a query in my head .... with massive separation available for six cars why all park next to each other? :D
Herd immunity instinct?

probably just the same people who park next to you when you park all on your own in the farthest reaches of a Supermarket carpark.

I listened to Boris and Michael G - during the daily brief way back it was clear, but as many have commented on here there are the few who will take every opportunity to find away around, so they can carry on regardless

I too have built 8 14"high raised beds and had 7 tonnes of nice compost topsoil delivered last week. Plan was for fit son in law to barrow round but we are sticking to guidelines and he is not coming round or driving over (15 mins away). So Cee & I have a wheelbarrow + a baby buggy with a large carry-bag and are moving it slowly..we have moved 5.5 tonnes in 6 days!
Seedlings are growing, some plants ordered online from T&M b4 they closed for more orders due to demand
I have also laid a patio outside greenhouse using old slabs piled in a corner (been on agenda for years) next is some rotovating ..

oh and I have a magazine to compile as well!

hardest thing is not seeing grandchildren who are too little to understand why they can't see us properly
But I count myself as lucky and privileged with a nice garden and open country around me and a small PO / village store with stocks of basic stuff 5 mins walk away ...

keeping busy means I am not watching TV gloom all day and go to bed knackered at 9.30 after only one glass of wine

I think the point most people here are trying to make is that even if this is the case, you are being asked very politely not too PLEASE.

Totally agree, that was the point I was making.

So many of our cherished "we in UK/Europe know bests" seem to be tumbling at the moment. Latest: growing evidence that yes, masks worn by general public DO substantially reduce respiratory disease transmission.

So we might have to get used to those masks. Although in my case it ain't going to harm my looks all that much.

Makes me feel better now.

The box of 50 three ply N95 I bought was beginning to look about as useful as my Viking cruise line voucher someone gave me.

Daily bulletin clearly showing a spike in car use.

19d4748554b9bd30ab9299c28c115a61.png

I’m suspecting that we might need to ramp up the lock down if complacency sets in. Let’s hope this was just a spike.

Mike
The rise in Car usage could well be NHS and other frontline staff using cars now that many parking charges and restrictions have been dropped. I gather the London Conjestion and Low Emissions Zone charges have been suspended.

Back