Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

Have you seen the state of them - you would struggle to give them away ! Plus if you were the owner of them and did put them there or allow them to be driven there you are hardly going to own up to it as the cars and the trailers are not roadworthy !
I believe they were all roadworthy before being stolen, they have been deliberately damaged/vandalised.

Clare tried again to get eggs this morning, getting into Sainsbury’s before opening time with her NHS ID. Surprise! Surprise! None available.

Anyway - as I’ve said before, all but “essential travel” being banned is fake news. The bar for travel is “reasonable excuse”. Is collecting point on lay hens for a reliable source of fresh eggs during a period of egg shortage a “reasonable excuse”? Yes, it is.

Clearly there are people who think it isn’t, and the risk I’m taking is running into an over zealous policeman. So I’ll take my paperwork, a copy of the regulations and a copy of the common sense advice guide produced for the police to follow.

Return to the comments by Matt Hancock on Question Time. The reason for the lockdown is to prevent people coming into contact with other people outside their household. The procedure the farmer has put in place to prevent contact when collecting the hens mean there is no possibility of coming into contact with anyone. It’s all fine.

Perhaps you could take the scenic route, combine it with your like of cycling and treat it as an extended exercise period. I am sure you could rig up something suitable on a Brompton.:)

645B38EA-0859-4FDF-B1FE-DC35D34078EC.jpeg

I'll be in the Beach, Clare drives the Skoda to work. I have little choice but to take the boys; Clare can't take them to work with her at Guy's and St Thomas's and I can't leave them with octogenarian grandparents, and I certainly can't leave them home alone. With no one in the front and tinted windows, any police may not even notice the boys in the back. However, bright yellow and with the flags down the side, I can't even hope that my van will be mistaken for a tradesman's van.

I think my only problem might be an over-zealous police officer, but I'll bring my email communication from the farmer with me.

Thank you for your order. Total due is £xx
(I will have sold out of the Suffolk Blacktails by the time I get to you order, so have put you down for 3 x Mendlesham Blues and 3 x Fenning Whites (as well as your pellets and vinegar) - I hope this is ok)
Your collection day/time is 2.30pm Friday 17th April.
Please be here at this exact time, not early or late, (for everyone's safety).
Place your boxes/carriers on the table in front of the inner gate by the white van and your payment in the clear tub (cash in an envelope please) and then stand well back. (please only have one person get out of the car)
We will then put your birds in your boxes and leave them on the table along with any products/change required.
Once we have placed everything on the table and you have had an indication from us, please then load up your car and exit our drive.
We hope that these procedures will keep everyone safe and would ask that you follow them carefully.
If you would rather make payment by BACS this would need to be made at least 24 hours before your collection time.
[bank details deleted]​
Thank you for your order and we look forward to seeing you on Friday.
If you could please acknowledge receipt of this email that would be helpful.

I'm not sure why you're sharing all this with us, and in so much detail. But as you have, I'll offer my perspective for what it's worth.

Personally, I think the trip you are planning is completely outside the spirit of the government's advice and exhortations to us all to avoid unnecessary travel. Presumably you disagree with that, or believe that you are somehow exempt from the public health guidelines, and in the end you'll do whatever you want and justify it to yourself as you will but, with respect, there seems little point trying to justify it to the rest of us.

I'm not in a position to say whether either the police or the courts would say that such a trip as you propose is lawful, I certainly have a pretty well-formed private opinion on that but am going to remain silent and could only suggest you seek advice from a criminal lawyer rather than from members of a campervan forum.

You pondered in an earlier post above whether you would accept a fixed penalty if stopped for an offence. You might want to note however that the police are not obliged to offer a fixed penalty, they can choose to prosecute. In that case you might want to build into your decision matrix also that there is no Legal Aid for non-imprisonable offences, and also on the possible personal consequences of acquiring a criminal record on conviction.

If you are travelling more than a few miles for this then you really deserve to get done in my opinion. Why - is it essential you have eggs ? (probably not); can you get them in a nearby supermarket (yes - nothing to stop your partner looking after the boys whilst you do the shop or them accompanying you (though the last option is best avoided and probably worth forgoing the eggs). You always seem to be desperate to find an excuse to go to some place other than where you live and whilst where you live might not be ideal it is probably a lot better than where a lot of other people live.
Agreed,
I thought the advice was - stay at home-
or is - stay at home unless you can justify in your own head a reason for
collecting chickens.

Amarillo, the only conclusion I can reach is that you decide on these actions and announce them for the sake of causing another impassioned argument on this forum relating to the pros and cons of your actions. I have read so many that I am now convinced that you must derive some sort of pleasure from the reaction to your posts.

I'm not sure why you're sharing all this with us, and in so much detail. But as you have, I'll offer my perspective for what it's worth.

Personally, I think the trip you are planning is completely outside the spirit of the government's advice and exhortations to us all to avoid unnecessary travel. Presumably you disagree with that, or believe that you are somehow exempt from the public health guidelines, and in the end you'll do whatever you want and justify it to yourself as you will but, with respect, there seems little point trying to justify it to the rest of us.

I'm not in a position to say whether either the police or the courts would say that such a trip as you propose is lawful, I certainly have a pretty well-formed private opinion on that but am going to remain silent and could only suggest you seek advice from a criminal lawyer rather than from members of a campervan forum.

You pondered in an earlier post above whether you would accept a fixed penalty if stopped for an offence. You might want to note however that the police are not obliged to offer a fixed penalty, they can choose to prosecute. In that case you might want to build into your decision matrix also that there is no Legal Aid for non-imprisonable offences, and also on the possible personal consequences of acquiring a criminal record on conviction.
The last thing any Police officer wants to do is to by-pass the fixed penalty system and have to create a prosecution file and all that entails, not to mention the backlash from CPS. Also, I would imagine because this rushed through legislation appears to be ‘full of holes’, they would never make it to court anyway.

For what it’s worth, just get a courier to deliver ...
everyday there are deliveries from amazon. DHL and privateers around here fetching garden furniture. Size 10 high heeled boots ( don’t ask !! ) and various non essentials..
If you do go then take the wife’s car as every Tom dick and constable are pre-advised of your intentions off here !

Goodness, another eggciting twist to this tortuous thread.

complete waste of time when eggs are so plentiful in the shops.There must be another motive, I suspect it's boredom.
Watch out for chicken mites/lice, little devils ruined a neighbours chicken keeping hobby and no matter what she did (whilst avoiding chemicals) they kept on coming back.

Goodness, another eggciting twist to this tortuous thread.

complete waste of time when eggs are so plentiful in the shops.There must be another motive, I suspect it's boredom.
What shop are you getting eggs from? They are the one item I’m struggling to find.

Watch out for chicken mites/lice, little devils ruined a neighbours chicken keeping hobby and no matter what she did (whilst avoiding chemicals) they kept on coming back.

I have been fortunate. MY Warren's were mostly disease and mite free, my big problems were foxes and the milk lady. Foxes for the obvious reason, and where I lived in rural Somerset plenty of them** but my milk-lady was in love with them and I always had to count up after she had visited to make sure I still had a full flock.

** I noticed an increase in Fox activity, especially in my sheep field, after one heated incident where I stopped the Quantock Hunts (nearly misspelt that) from passing over my land.

I have been fortunate. MY Warren's were mostly disease and mite free, my big problems were foxes and the milk lady. Foxes for the obvious reason, and where I lived in rural Somerset plenty of them** but my milk-lady was in love with them and I always had to count up after she had visited to make sure I still had a full flock.

** I noticed an increase in Fox activity, especially in my sheep field, after one heated incident where I stopped the Quantock Hunts (nearly misspelt that) from passing over my land.
Allmite is what's needed. Give the sheds a good pressure wash and spray with this. Job done.

View attachment 57592

Sainsbury's couldn't even find an alternative. Same story last week. The week before that we got 6 eggs.
How the heck do you get a delivery slots. Here in rural Shropshire as a regular of Waitrose and Sainsburys home delivery for over 10 years I cant get either a delivery slot or collect in store..

Don't buy unessential items when shopping........

View attachment 57592

Sainsbury's couldn't even find an alternative. Same story last week. The week before that we got 6 eggs.

I have to admit Tom, with your two young children, they will love the hens and looking after them. Mine were truly free range, except at night in their almost-foxproof enclosure, and they gave me so much pleasure, as well as plentiful eggs, until they free-ranged into my vegetable garden and helped themselves to my lovely broccoli and cauliflower. I was not that upset as I cannot eat Brassica's but my sister ordered shed-loads of paxo that evening :shocked

Wartime rationing is said to have given the British public the healthiest diet of all time. I don't know how true that is. The ration included one fresh egg per week I think.

Plenty of eggs at the moment in our local Tesco and also the farm shop.

I'm sure I am eating more healthily under lock-down than I would normally.

That rather skims over with hardly mentioning wearing of masks to slow or stop non-symtomatic infected people who have no idea that they are contagious from spreading the infection. That could have stopped the Webasto factory outbreak.

That rather skims over with hardly mentioning wearing of masks to slow or stop non-symtomatic infected people who have no idea that they are contagious from spreading the infection. That could have stopped the Webasto factory outbreak.
Sorry, referring to post #1,180. Here's the study of the Webasto outbreak that was caused by non-symtomatic transmission:

Last edited:

Don't buy unessential items when shopping........
What the Dickens? I fail to see that as anything other than an intel based bust. Likely drugs and judging by the horrendous vehicle they were in it would be my assumption.

Wartime rationing is said to have given the British public the healthiest diet of all time. I don't know how true that is. The ration included one fresh egg per week I think.

Plenty of eggs at the moment in our local Tesco and also the farm shop.

I'm sure I am eating more healthily under lock-down than I would normally.

The same. The one thing I can rely on is a supply of fresh vegetables, in fact having a veggie curry tonight. loads of time on my hands means loads of time in the kitchen. We have been eating splendidly and I've yet to put on weight ... somewhat miraculously :shocked

Back