Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

Mask debate continues.

More and more countries including the US and German now insisting everyone should wear a mask in public.

I really don’t get the video above, it says we shouldn’t wear masks because they offer no benefits, and they should be reserved for healthcare workers and carers. That seems like a blatant contradiction.
Not really. They come into physical contact with their patients. If you observe the 2m rule with non-household members then yo will not.

What the Dickens? I fail to see that as anything other than an intel based bust. Likely drugs and judging by the horrendous vehicle they were in it would be my assumption.
i reckon the non compliant number plate spacing, why draw attention to yourself:headbang

What the Dickens? I fail to see that as anything other than an intel based bust. Likely drugs and judging by the horrendous vehicle they were in it would be my assumption.

Based on some Police forces actions it could have been due to the purchase of non-essentials from the Coop. Maybe they spent the weekend out in their front garden? Maybe they took their dogs for a walk in a quiet non-essential location?

(ps. if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck its probable drugs and gang-related)

I quite like the SVR, although the boot is a little small for two dogs. So a FFRR supercharged would be better.

Pop round and I'll give you some. Both Waitrose and Sainsbury have no problem delivering me eggs, free range of course.
A kind offer, thanks. We managed to get a box from a corner shop, about double the supermarket price but what price a boiled egg for breaky!

Based on some Police forces actions it could have been due to the purchase of non-essentials from the Coop. Maybe they spent the weekend out in their front garden? Maybe they took their dogs for a walk in a quiet non-essential location?

(ps. if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck its probable drugs and gang-related)

I quite like the SVR, although the boot is a little small for two dogs. So a FFRR supercharged would be better.
Had a FFRR and ranks as the worst car I have ever owned. Sadly.

Perhaps your post should read - What the Chickens. Perhaps the boot's full of them

Had a FFRR and ranks as the worst car I have ever owned. Sadly.

Reliability by any chance? I had two Discoveries that were poor. However, I had a Defender XS that was excellent and my 15year old D3 V8 is sublime.

My one and only Audi on the other hand was........ to the extent that I wouldn't ever, ever, ever buy another Audi. (Vehicles go wrong but it's the way that you are treated)

I had in order a FFRR, D3 HSE, PUMA 90 XS all were hopeless as were the dealers. I'm the opposite, have had succession of Audi with no issues and superb dealer support whenever I've used them which is only to buy, sell and service...

Just received this advice in an email from the council.

Gardens, parks and exercise
You can help others by using your own garden for exercise if you have one – leaving parks and green spaces for those who don’t have access to outdoor spaces.

A kind offer, thanks. We managed to get a box from a corner shop, about double the supermarket price but what price a boiled egg for breaky!

Don't like boiled eggs, or even the smell of them ..... Fried egg on heavily well-buttered toast is to die for, to hell with the waistline :shocked

I had in order a FFRR, D3 HSE, PUMA 90 XS all were hopeless as were the dealers. I'm the opposite, have had succession of Audi with no issues and superb dealer support whenever I've used them which is only to buy, sell and service...

That's really interesting. You don't work for Audi, do you?

Common problem with Audi's which mine had. Rear wipe motor. £400 / New alternator / £530 / oil sensor £150.... first service was £430 (in 2005). My sister bought one and had her's scrapped. I think it was 8 years old and worthless. £27k to £0 in 8 years. Serious Multitronic box issues and it kept cutting out. Common problems. Rattles and trim issues. Great on day 1, very tired after a few years.

The biggest issue I had with Audi was keeping me waiting in the showroom for 90min pretending to reprogramme the keyfob batteries and charging £37 for the privilege. (Keyfob kept falling apart). I subsequently found out that starting the car, reprogrammed the fob in 2005. So the drive to the garage reprogrammed the keyfob. 5year / 66k miles and I was happy to get rid in 2008 and went back to BMW.

Hi Willander,
it is not a contradiction if filtration is understood. If you are a healthcare worker, putting masks (paper/ fabric) on the infected inpatients shows some benefit at reducing the infectitivity of patients in an healthcare setting. The reason is they may cough /sneeze in your face. Note the masks are worn by the patients not the staff for this benifit.
For general population wearing a mask that is NOT a respirator ie face sealed and appropriate filtration pore size (HEPA minimally, see my earlier post) is ineffective. plus as I have said earlier you need eye protection The simple reason is you breathe around the mask not through it, the resistance, if it was of viral filtering size, needs the face seal of a RESPIRATOR. The Paper/fabric masks are for blood splatter/ bacterial aerosols from aspiration/irrigation/orthopaedic type medical equipment and stop the medical profession dribbling into wounds. Bacteria can be seen with a normal optical microscope, viruses with an ELECTRON microscope, 0.000,000,030m diameter and that is very small!.
The PPE used by healthcare workers at risk as in ITU is an external (HEPA+) filter and pump into a positive pressure hood/head set.
The WHO accepted their own paid for analysis of mask effectivity which showed NO BENEFIT to general population, why now do they wish to go against their own accepted expert opinions?.
The answer is simply to ramp up the fear level!
WHO in 2010 predicted 9 million deaths worldwide for swine flu, in fact there were 18,000 actual deaths from it , twice Obama invoked a national emergency based on their opinion (See Margaret Chan head of WHO at the time and her wonderful video warning, the world wasting 70 million useless flu vaccination doses which went to landfill costing $48billion, Oh and she forgot to mention her pay from drug companies)
Nothing is as it seems, look beyond the hype, why the financial destruction of countries on a worldwide basis, from an organisation (THE UN) they will no doubt put out a commemorative chocolate teapot memento!
Don't add to their hype with a mask, I wouldn't wear one and I am at the at risk age!

Thanks for confirming in your post that wearing a mask helps an infected person (who may be non-symtomatic and unaware that they are contagious) to avoid spreading the virus to others.

Hi Willander,
it is not a contradiction if filtration is understood. If you are a healthcare worker, putting masks (paper/ fabric) on the infected inpatients shows some benefit at reducing the infectitivity of patients in an healthcare setting. The reason is they may cough /sneeze in your face. Note the masks are worn by the patients not the staff for this benifit.
For general population wearing a mask that is NOT a respirator ie face sealed and appropriate filtration pore size (HEPA minimally, see my earlier post) is ineffective. plus as I have said earlier you need eye protection The simple reason is you breathe around the mask not through it, the resistance, if it was of viral filtering size, needs the face seal of a RESPIRATOR. The Paper/fabric masks are for blood splatter/ bacterial aerosols from aspiration/irrigation/orthopaedic type medical equipment and stop the medical profession dribbling into wounds. Bacteria can be seen with a normal optical microscope, viruses with an ELECTRON microscope, 0.000,000,030m diameter and that is very small!.
The PPE used by healthcare workers at risk as in ITU is an external (HEPA+) filter and pump into a positive pressure hood/head set.
The WHO accepted their own paid for analysis of mask effectivity which showed NO BENEFIT to general population, why now do they wish to go against their own accepted expert opinions?.
The answer is simply to ramp up the fear level!
WHO in 2010 predicted 9 million deaths worldwide for swine flu, in fact there were 18,000 actual deaths from it , twice Obama invoked a national emergency based on their opinion (See Margaret Chan head of WHO at the time and her wonderful video warning, the world wasting 70 million useless flu vaccination doses which went to landfill costing $48billion, Oh and she forgot to mention her pay from drug companies)
Nothing is as it seems, look beyond the hype, why the financial destruction of countries on a worldwide basis, from an organisation (THE UN) they will no doubt put out a commemorative chocolate teapot memento!
Don't add to their hype with a mask, I wouldn't wear one and I am at the at risk age!
Still yawning

Thanks for confirming in your post that wearing a mask helps an infected person (who may be non-symtomatic and unaware that they are contagious) to avoid spreading the virus to others.
No, I stated it may protect healthcare staff working with an INPATIENT therefore clearly symptomatic!! not he population in general

No, I stated it may protect healthcare staff working with an INPATIENT therefore clearly symptomatic!! not he population in general
So you believe that a mask works better to stop contagion when it is used by an infected person in close quarters in a hospital room than it does when used by a contagious non-symptomatic person in the general public.

Back to chickens, your conscience mate. If you think it’s right crack on, am sure you will anyhow, most right minded sensible folk would probably say you are doing a journey that you don’t need to.

Wondering star, has any govt been so unprepared, yep, french, Italian, Spanish, chinese, American! You getting the idea. No one could have prepared for a previously unknown pandemic.
Seem to be doing pretty well at the moment, 2000itu beds still free, 10000 general use beds still free, nightingale overflow available if needed, with no one in them yet! Let’s hope they are never put into proper use.

So you believe that a mask works better to stop contagion when it is used by an infected person in close quarters in a hospital room than it does when used by a contagious non-symptomatic person in the general public.
Correct, general use of the type of facemasks available that you commonly see worn outside of intensive care have no ability to protect wearer from a virus. Very popular in south east Asia but of no medical value in control of VIRAL infectious diseases. The hospial scenario is effectively that the mask works like a hankerchief in a person with very high viral load in their secretions not on carriers with lower levels.

Correct, general use of the type of facemasks available that you commonly see worn outside of intensive care have no ability to protect wearer from a virus. Very popular in south east Asia but of no medical value in control of VIRAL infectious diseases. The hospial scenario is effectively that the mask works like a hankerchief in a person with very high viral load in their secretions not on carriers with lower levels.
You've apparently not read the Webasto study that showed that infected people were most highly contagious starting several days before showing symptoms. What you are saying supports the view that the general public should wear masks when going out in order to protect other people.

You've apparently not read the Webasto study that showed that infected people were most highly contagious starting several days before showing symptoms. What you are saying supports the view that the general public should wear masks when going out in order to protect other people.

There is an argument that wearing a mask gives a feeling of false confidence at the cost of social distancing.

There is an argument that wearing one may prevent somebody with the virus passing it in. As all guidance says they should be self isolating anyway that only leaves asymptotic carriers but they will be less likely as they won’t be coughing.

There doesn’t seem much if any protection from normal masks.

I doubt very much if most people even if they have the right mask follow proper use of them.

I won’t be wearing one unless I’m in hospital and a health professional tells me to.

Mike

Last edited:
The Webasto outbreak happened because contagious asyptomatic people, who had already become as highly contagious as they would be when they finally began to show symptoms, didn't know they were infected so could not self isolate. This seems to be the principal way that the contagion spreads.

Back