Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Won't Open - "Ignition On!"

I also tried that last night left it disconnected for around 2 hrs and still coming up with the same fault, I'll try the ignition switch as its a 12 quid part and go from there going away this weekend (first proper use for us as a family) and looks like I won't be able to raise the roof

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I also tried that last night left it disconnected for around 2 hrs and still coming up with the same fault, I'll try the ignition switch as its a 12 quid part and go from there going away this weekend (first proper use for us as a family) and looks like I won't be able to raise the roof

Presumably it wasn’t showing this message before you changed the Knob on the panel?

We used the van back last year for the night and the roof has never been up since in hindsight I should of checked it prior to changing the knob but here we are I'll take it back apart again tonight and see if there is anything I missed everything else on the control panel works bar the roof

Worst case scenario a new control unit would be needed does anyone have an idea the best place to purchase one from as tps are quoting £800 plus vat

Worst case scenario a new control unit would be needed does anyone have an idea the best place to purchase one from as tps are quoting £800 plus vat

Your could call these UK based guys that have repaired a few users control panels after users button repairs have gone wrong ...

See forum Thread 'UK based repair service for VW California Control Panel Display' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...or-vw-california-control-panel-display.43223/

Any joy?

Nothing yet bud I've got this month to sort as we are away again then so I'll spend some time this weekend I've had the van on vagcom and only thing comi g up as a fault is ignition switch, so I've picked one up from tps try that first and go from there
I've followed a few threads but no real answers

At least that is hopeful - the van knows of a fault that is related to the symptoms. Is there a wiring diagram, I bet you could fudge an 'ignition on' signal to the control unit if needed but better to fix the fault :)

So purchased another control unit and getting exactly the same issue so seems the fault is elsewhere in the van

You can borrow a control panel from a California friend, to see if that’s the problem.
You should also remove the left seat from its base, and remove the battery and start looking around for bad wiring and/ore connections. More then one time I’ve found damage wire. Small green spot on the wire, and when investigate it further it just falls apart. Cut the bad wire section out, and solder it back together again…

I'll take a look this evening I've tried 2 different control units now and the same issue so I'll take a look under the seat

I'll take a look this evening I've tried 2 different control units now and the same issue so I'll take a look under the seat

Did you fit a new ignition switch and if so did you use vagcom to clear the fault then switch off and on and then use vagcom again to check if the error code has gone?

I also fitted a new ignition switch but I've not had a chance to clear all codes so I'll clear any fault codes and had a chat with a guy who has fitted a few and he has given me a few things to try below the pass seat

We have a solution to my roof issue, managed to speak to a guy who has retrofitted a few of these pop tops and gave me a few things to check (https://g.co/kgs/wQbFfP)

After removing the passinger seat and testing a few cables I found out that there was a switch feed missing when key was turned to 2nd position, testing back to fuse carries and not having a wiring diagram ended up being a 5 amp fuse below the drinks holder.
Really wish had a list of Fuses and what each one does and location.
I probably would of checked for Fuses initially but the problem occurring after changing the control panel knob obviously thinking it was something to do with that
So a bit of advice check everything works prior to doing any work on your van
Thanks for all the input from fellow california owners

We have a solution to my roof issue, managed to speak to a guy who has retrofitted a few of these pop tops and gave me a few things to check (https://g.co/kgs/wQbFfP)

After removing the passinger seat and testing a few cables I found out that there was a switch feed missing when key was turned to 2nd position, testing back to fuse carries and not having a wiring diagram ended up being a 5 amp fuse below the drinks holder.
I probably would of checked for Fuses initially but the problem occurring after changing the control panel knob obviously thinking it was something to do with that

Glad you sorted it out, even if it turned out to be a fuse. Could you take a picture of the fuse in position in the fusebox due users future reference.

I will do it was a little late when finishing last night

I will do it was a little late when finishing last night

Was it fuse 18 in the upper fuse bank?
https://www.autogenius.info/vw-tran...rom-september-2009-2014-fuse-box-diagram/amp/

Fuse holder B (Upper)
==================
Fuse Ampere rating [A] Description

1.(25A/30A) Heater A/C (some models)
2.(5A) Steering position sensor
3.(10A) Multifunction control module1
4.(10A) Headlamp adjustment
5.(15A) Headlamp
6.(15A) Headlamp
7.(15A) Multifunction control module1 (interior lamp)
8.(5A) Data link connector (DLC)
9.(15A) Brake pedal position
10.(10A) Windscreen wipers (rear)
11.(5A) Licence plate lamp
12.(15A) Cigarette lighter
13.(5A) SRS control module
14.(30A) Auxiliary heater, heater / A/C
15.(7.5A) Air conditioning
16.(5A) Multifunction control module 1
17.(5A) Rear fog lamps
18.(5A) Instrumentation control module
19.(5A) Audio unit, Instrumentation control module1, navigation system,
20.(5A) Side lamp left, LH Stop lamp, LH Tail lamp
21.(5A) Side lamp left, RH Stop lamp, RH Tail lamp
22.(10A) Airbag assembly deactivation warning lamp, (DLC), Instrumentation control module.
23. (25A, 40A) Starter motor (some models with M/T)
24. (5A) Steering position sensor
25. (5A) Air conditioning
26. (30) Headlamp switch
27.(15A) Headlamp Right
28.(15A) Headlamp high beam warning lamp, Headlight Right
29.(10A) Load area door signal relay
30.(10A) Heated windscreen washer jets, rear screen wiper motor
31.(30A) Multifunction control module 1 (Horn)
32.(25A) Multifunction control module 1 (windscreen wiper motor)
33.(15A) Audio unit, Navigation system, Traffic information control module
34.(25A) Automatic transmission, Fuse box/relay plate engine bay 1 (F3, F12, F14-F17, F19, F20, F24)
35.(5A) Instrument illumination
36.(25A) Multifunction control module1 (Indicators)

#12 (15A) fuse is Cigarette lighter fuse very often blown and asked for location - blue fuse, top row, 3rd from the right.
#10 (10A) Washer wiper fuse - This is the fuse panel on the dashboard below the cigarette etc drawer.

Note 1) for models with roof console only

Fuse holder C (Lower)
==================
Fuse Ampere rating [A] Description

1 15A Trailer detector control unit -J345- 15a -10-pin connector -T10bh/1-75a
2 5A Interior monitor send and receive module 2 -30-G305- Anti-theft and tilt system control unit -J529-
3 10A Red Cross light switch -E10- 30 15 A-Red Cross light warning lamp -K100-
4 10A Differential lock control unit -J187- 15a- Rear differential lock switch -E121- -Four-wheel drive control unit -J492
5 5A SC5-10A-6-pin connector -T6bn/5-75x
6 5A Oil level and oil temperature sender -G266-15
7 30A Rotating light switch -E162- 30 10 A
8 5A Parking aid control unit -J446-30
9 5A Steering column electronics control unit -30 J527- Adaptive cruise control unit -J428-
10 10A Left headlight range control motor -V48- 15 5 A-Right headlight range control motor -V49- Switches and instruments illumination regulator -E20
11 15A Left sliding door control unit -J558-58
12 5A Left day driving light bulb -L174-30 30
13 5A Drive train CAN bus isolation relay -J788-15
14 5A Right day driving light bulb -L175–30A
15 5A Mobile telephone operating electronics 15-control unit -J412-
16 7.5A. Navigation system tuner for TV -J415- 30-Interface for external multimedia unit -R215-
17 7.5A Onboard supply control unit -J519- (T73/66) 30 1) -1) 30G 2) Interior lights and compartment lights 2)
18 5A Air conditioning system control unit -J301- 30- Rear fresh air blower switch -E179- – Operating and display unit for rear -Climatronic -E265- Rear blower regulation sender -G463-
19 5A Automatic anti-dazzle interior mirror -Y7- 86s
20 10A Onboard supply control unit -J519- 30 (T73a/64)
21 5A Rain sensor -G213-RPL
22 5A Air conditioning system pressure switch -15-F129- Air quality sensor -G238-
23 10A Residual heat relay -J708- 30a- Remote control receiver for auxiliary coolant -heater -R149- Auxiliary heater operating and display unit -E407- Operating and display unit for camping equipment -E153-
24 7.5A Left centre reading light -W39- 30G- Right centre reading light -W40- – Rear left reading light -W11- – Rear right reading light -W12- – Left interior light -W16– Right interior light -W17- – Rear left interior light -W47- -Rear right interior light -W48-
25 25A Seat heating control unit with regulator -J396-
26 10A Tachograph -G24-30
27 30A D51 Positive connection 1 (15), in engine 15 compartment wiring harness – Fuse 13 on fuse holder D -SD13- -Fuse 23 on fuse holder D -SD23-
28 5A Mirror adjustment switch -E43- 15-Exterior mirror heater button -E231-
29 25A Heater control unit -J162-30
30 5A Operating and display unit for camping 75-equipment -E153- Auxiliary coolant heater relay -J493-
31 25A Sliding sunroof adjustment control unit -30 5 AJ245-
32 20A Headlight washer system relay -J39-15
33 5A Tachograph -G24-15
34 5A Vacant15
35 20A Onboard supply control unit -J519- 30 (T73b/11)
36 5A 10-pin connector -T10bh/9-30

Note:
1) for models without roof console only
2) for models with roof console only

IMG_20220511_083909_755.jpg

Great news about the eventual fix. I guess at some point during the fitting a short could have popped the fuse - or could be sheer coincidence. I always curse myself for not testing if something works before starting work on it - you would think I should know from my years of IT experience. Question no.1 is always "When did it last work?". (and Question 2- are you sure...)

There are Fuse diagrams available for Download in the Resources section for VIP members.
The fuse size and circuit powered are correct but the position within the releva fuse box can vary depending on the particular vehicle options.
Your VW Dealership maybe prevailed upon to give you the vehicle specific layout based on the VIN number or you can register on the VW Erwin website and pay to access/download all the information for your vehicle.