Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Custom build - 2020 Westfalia Club Joker 4Motion - Offroad build thread

Unless you are power hungry or don’t move for weeks or with no solar then one 230a will be plenty.
I have 280a no solar yet and haven’t dropped below 92% on bat! 30a is plenty to top up. (Fridge on full time and not using diesel heater)
You can get most things to run off 12v these days.

TBH I think I can get away with 2x105a which will probably be the easiest install. I really only run fridge and lights. It would be a nice to have enough power to run a smallish inverter for lap top etc but I can do that from 12v. I was getting 3 days off grid with the standard AGM set up, more in the Summer with the 100w solar panel. I reckon with 210a I would probably never need the EHU and will obviously be much better in the winter, especially with heated cells.

My AGM’s are 6 years old and on the way out so it feels like the right time to make the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBH I think I can get away with 2x105a which will probably be the easiest install. I really only run fridge and lights. It would be a nice to have enough power to run a smallish inverter for lap top etc but I can do that from 12v. I was getting 3 days off grid with the standard AGM set up, I reckon with 210a I would probably never need the EHU. My AGM’s are 6 years old and on the way out so it feels like the right time to make the switch.

Absolutely. I have some 12v USB-c chargers from Amazon that put out 120w with 2 ports. That’s the limit for the standard Joker 12v socket. Charges a MacBook Pro and iPhone 15 max at the same time at full speed for each.

TBH I think I can get away with 2x105a which will probably be the easiest install. I really only run fridge and lights. It would be a nice to have enough power to run a smallish inverter for lap top etc but I can do that from 12v. I was getting 3 days off grid with the standard AGM set up, more in the Summer with the 100w solar panel. I reckon with 210a I would probably never need the EHU and will obviously be much better in the winter, especially with heated cells.

My AGM’s are 6 years old and on the way out so it feels like the right time to make the switch.

I’ve also mentioned this before but one of the best things I bought for my van was a Mennekes Type2 to CEE adaptor. Being able to plug in and charge at any EV AC charger is sublime. They are everywhere.
feb9a2f0750c09416404cdf78659e67c.jpg

I’ve also mentioned this before but one of the best things I bought for my van was a Mennekes Type2 to CEE adaptor. Being able to plug in and charge at any EV AC charger is sublime. They are everywhere.
feb9a2f0750c09416404cdf78659e67c.jpg

Are you using the stand EHU charger with that? I guess your batteries have BMS which balances the cells?

Are you using the stand EHU charger with that? I guess your batteries have BMS which balances the cells?

In my case I’m using the Victron inverter for EHU but this is no different than plugging into any campsite EHU. It’s AC electricity. My inverter will do max 80A at 230V. But any van with EHU CEE 16A blue single phase socket will have a suitable charger. Any Cali will work fine. The charger will limit the input.

In my case I’m using the Victron inverter for EHU but this is no different than plugging into any campsite EHU. It’s AC electricity. My inverter will do max 80A at 230V. But any van with EHU CEE 16A blue single phase socket will have a suitable charger. Any Cali will work fine. The charger will limit the input.

Sold, I’m going to order one now!

Sold, I’m going to order one now!

I bought a Type2 to Swiss T13 and then connected that to a T13 to CEE. There are also Type2 to Schuko EU standard. Probably can find one with UK. That way you can buy a short adaptor and use your existing EHU extension cables.

Hi Webbah, I tried to start a conversation with you bit couldn't. (I'm a VIP member, so not sure why) Anyway, I'm in Zurich right now, en route to Umbria, just me and my two daughters in the van. We've got about five days to get there so I'm planning a couple of nights travelling in CH, from here to Italy either via Davos route or over to Milan. Anyway I would basically like to take my girls to somewhere truely spectacular and a little out of the way (maybe not acessible for bigger vans?). I've been looking through park4night at wild camping spots and campsites, and I was just wondering if you had any suggestions? A particularly great spot, or area to look in, or better app to use? Thanks!! (In return I can give you good suggestions in....Belgium. Haha)

Hi Webbah, I tried to start a conversation with you bit couldn't. (I'm a VIP member, so not sure why) Anyway, I'm in Zurich right now, en route to Umbria, just me and my two daughters in the van. We've got about five days to get there so I'm planning a couple of nights travelling in CH, from here to Italy either via Davos route or over to Milan. Anyway I would basically like to take my girls to somewhere truely spectacular and a little out of the way (maybe not acessible for bigger vans?). I've been looking through park4night at wild camping spots and campsites, and I was just wondering if you had any suggestions? A particularly great spot, or area to look in, or better app to use? Thanks!! (In return I can give you good suggestions in....Belgium. Haha)

Hi Babble,

Looking for spectacular nature or more things for the kids to do? Happy to provide some ideas. I just got out of the water surfing (Alaia bay in Sion is amazing wave pool). Will respond once back to my van. Let me know more what you are looking for.

Not a VIP as it seemed mostly for UK members for benefits and now outside of UK. Maybe I’m wrong.

Thanks Webbah! We're just looking for spectacular nature, up high somewhere. Love walking and we really just want to park up somewhere special and breathe!

We're heading down to swim in the lake here now. Had fun in the river last night. Lovely place to live this.

Thanks Webbah! We're just looking for spectacular nature, up high somewhere. Love walking and we really just want to park up somewhere special and breathe!

We're heading down to swim in the lake here now. Had fun in the river last night. Lovely place to live this.
Here's a great place near Luzern behind Mount Pilatus. One of my favorites! It's in Eigenthal and costs 5 Chf for 24 hours (free between 8PM and 8AM). Spectacular place! Make sure to drive ALL the way in across the small bridge and turn left and continue straight until you see the parking area on the left side at the end. Suggest you park near the stream on the left side near the BBQ area close to the small shack. Lovely sleeping with the sound of the stream at night. During the day you can hike along the stream up towards Mount Pilatus. It's mostly paved or gravel so nothing complicated. About 2km up there is a local farmers restaurant that is only accessible by walking OR you can take the horse drawn buggy (might be cool for the kids). Excellent food and reasonably priced for Switzerland and only fresh farm meats, cheese and produce.

This is another cool spot with a nice BBQ and Fire pit. Totally free in the middle of the forest near Sarnen:

Another amazing option if you are going through the Gothard to Italy is to take a 30 minute detour and go up the Furka Pass and stay the night above the roads in the Alpine farming area called Albert-Heim-Hütte near Tiefenbach. It’s a gravel road that costs 10Chf for 24 hours (fine with or without 4motion). Go up and keep going past the first parking area for another 200-400 meters. Find a nice patch of grass with a fire pit to park up at the top of the world. Was there a few days ago.
be125bb632f1d8516c56d99259d3e8ab.jpg

Another amazing option if you are going through the Gothard to Italy is to take a 30 minute detour and go up the Furka Pass and stay the night above the roads in the Alpine farming area called Albert-Heim-Hütte near Tiefenbach. It’s a gravel road that costs 10Chf for 24 hours (fine with or without 4motion). Go up and keep going past the first parking area for another 200-400 meters. Find a nice patch of grass with a fire pit to park up at the top of the world. Was there a few days ago.
be125bb632f1d8516c56d99259d3e8ab.jpg

I will say don’t go this Sunday though. Heavy rains expected of 23-25mm. Any other day is fine.

Thanks so much Webbah! I might go to this last suggestion tomorrow night! Do I need to arrive before a certain time to pay/get in?

Thanks so much Webbah! I might go to this last suggestion tomorrow night! Do I need to arrive before a certain time to pay/get in?

Nope, there is a pay station about 50 meters up from the entry. Pay by app or by Swiss coins. No paper cash or cards accepted. Arrive anytime and leave anytime.

Just to make sure you don’t miss it, you’ll see a small sign on the top left of a building in Tiefenbach (only a few buildings) and it’s a sharp right turn which is fairly steep gravel on the right side. Don’t sweat it. The entry is the steepest part. The rest is easy gravel all the way up in a winding road.

And I highly recommend you bring some firewood!!!

Well, Webbah, that was absolutely fantastic! What a spectacular spot!! Thanks so much for the recommendation. Really, really appreciated. I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere quite like it. The girls we totally blown away. We found an amazing spot which had lots of space and was just beautiful, right near the end of the area.

20240720_175705.jpg

20240720_175740.jpg

20240720_173914.jpg

20240720_175629.jpg

20240720_191130.jpg

20240720_204717.jpg

Well, Webbah, that was absolutely fantastic! What a spectacular spot!! Thanks so much for the recommendation. Really, really appreciated. I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere quite like it. The girls we totally blown away. We didn't take the very high last spot you mentioned as it was a little too exposed for one of my daughters, but we took the last spot before that, which had lots of space and was just beautiful.

View attachment 126824

View attachment 126825

View attachment 126826

View attachment 126827

View attachment 126828

View attachment 126829

Awesome!!! So happy to hear that! Glad I could help. My daughters are too young to join me just yet (7 months and 3.5 years) but I hope to show them much of the same!

Well, Webbah, that was absolutely fantastic! What a spectacular spot!! Thanks so much for the recommendation. Really, really appreciated. I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere quite like it. The girls we totally blown away. We found an amazing spot which had lots of space and was just beautiful, right near the end of the area.

View attachment 126824

View attachment 126825

View attachment 126826

View attachment 126827

View attachment 126828

View attachment 126829

If you are still in the area, head down and go along the Furka pass a bit further to the parking lot of the old Belvedere hotel. The daughters might enjoy a visit to the ice caves.

View attachment 126824

View attachment 126825

View attachment 126826

View attachment 126827

View attachment 126828

View attachment 126829
If Carlsberg did camping venues !
That is breathtaking.
What a memory for your daughters !
Awesome.

Back