Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Custom build - 2020 Westfalia Club Joker 4Motion - Offroad build thread

I've afixed the expanding foam tape between the awning mounts and it does a good job of channeling the rainwater to drop at the mounts. An improvement but still leads to soaking the step at the point of the middle mount. I can't see an obvious way around this? Other than adding a Thule sealing rubber which seems a bit belt and braces.
Used that on my old jokers, just remember to keep window up when driving off as water runs off IMG_7274.png

Found something similar in black on Amazon. Any color is ok as long as it’s black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll give it a bit of time. Not keen on taking the awning case off again. Cursed the guy who fitted it as 3 of the self tappers used had snapped and I could not drill them out, so had to drill new holes. But found out why myself as I managed to do the same thing. I expected the casing to be aluminium but found out instead that it was something rather harder than this.

Thanks. I'll give it a bit of time. Not keen on taking the awning case off again. Cursed the guy who fitted it as 3 of the self tappers used had snapped and I could not drill them out, so had to drill new holes. But found out why myself as I managed to do the same thing. I expected the casing to be aluminium but found out instead that it was something rather harder than this.
I imagine you could run this drip stop seal along the lower edge of the awning below the brackets if you wanted to. No need to remove the awning. But it would be noticeable. That's why I prefer black to match the other seals on the van.

I imagine you could run this drip stop seal along the lower edge of the awning below the brackets if you wanted to. No need to remove the awning. But it would be noticeable. That's why I prefer black to match the other seals on the van.
Indeed. I had my eye on adding this: Thule Sealing Rubber for Omnistor 4900.
That is until I saw on the Prima site that 5m costs £40 but p&p is £28. Eh??
I'm tempted to run some all weather tape along the top of the casing.

I’m just not sure this would work on a club joker high roof. The high roof would cause the seal to bend in an L shape vs on a Cali with it flapping over the roof line. In this case I think the J seal above or the expanding tape (or both) is the best solution.

I'll let you know. I ordered elsewhere at a higher price. Blast!!

I like the look of that. Look forward to hearing how it works out.

This one is only 2.5 meters and could use 3 meters. But I only really need to cover the middle bits and the sliding door area. Can always buy another one and extend if needed. Or find one that’s 3 meters. For my needs this will probably do just fine though.

I've afixed the expanding foam tape between the awning mounts and it does a good job of channeling the rainwater to drop at the mounts. An improvement but still leads to soaking the step at the point of the middle mount. I can't see an obvious way around this? Other than adding a Thule sealing rubber which seems a bit belt and braces.

I just replaced the old strip with a new one, and stuck some profiled rubber around the door frame to stop the drips.

IMG_0716.jpegIMG_0715.jpegIMG_0714.jpeg

Looks good. Which "strip" did you use? Earlier post thought this might not be effective on the Joker.

Speak to Rose awnings. I ordered what I thought was the correct one, but was wrong profile. Sent it back and they sent the right one. Its sold by the metre.

When I fitted it, it looked like it had small gaps, but these went after a few days in the sun as it found its shape.

Maxtraxx Lite recovery boards mounted with Tactic Vans magnet mounts. No drilling and easy peasy!

959f5672260e78e86290a45f98c18486.jpg

Yeah, it sure I’ll leave them mounted all the time. Then again it’s a quick pull to remove and store them if in a sketchy area.

And on the plus side the Maxtrax are quick and easy to deploy when you need them! Mine used to live on the roof rack which was a pain. I’ve rigged up a fixing system to the side using Maxtrax quick release mounts as I have four of the Lites. They are most often used for levelling but as I’ve discovered in the past that 4 will get me out of most situations more quickly and 4 of the Lites are barely any heavier than 2 of the Mk2’s.

And on the plus side the Maxtrax are quick and easy to deploy when you need them! Mine used to live on the roof rack which was a pain. I’ve rigged up a fixing system to the side using Maxtrax quick release mounts as I have four of the Lites. They are most often used for levelling but as I’ve discovered in the past that 4 will get me out of most situations more quickly and 4 of the Lites are barely any heavier than 2 of the Mk2’s.

Nice! I only have 2 for the moment. I’d guess that’s enough to get out of most situations with 4 Motion and Diff Lock. Maybe I’ll get another pair at some point. The only other place I could put them is on the front hood though with the tactic vans magnet mounts for curved surfaces.

Back