Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclist's and CoronaVirus

Well the "Gentleman" who passed us this morning on his racing bike missed my wife by inches not feet. We were walking side by side on a quiet single track country lane when he passed doing about 30 mph from behind. He offered no warning of his approach.
Disgraceful, post his picture up here, we’ll hunt him down in no time. How dare anyone but you use a country lane how they wish. It’s people like them that started this Coronavirus in the first place ......probably? Some people!

Disgraceful, post his picture up here, we’ll hunt him down in no time. How dare anyone but you use a country lane how they wish. It’s people like them that started this Coronavirus in the first place ......probably? Some people!
30 mph down a country lane, it had to be either Chris Froome or Geraint Thomas.

There are some of the road race fraternity that seem to have had some sort of social skills by pass. Met a small number when our today, the never smilers, vast majority are fine.

There are some of the road race fraternity that seem to have had some sort of social skills by pass. Met a small number when our today, the never smilers, vast majority
Today's cycle, sensible social distancing and exercise, perfect for keeping the mind and body in good condition.

View attachment 57080

View attachment 57082

View attachment 57083
Great pics. Mind you, some people on here might think you’re irresponsibly close to that water. If a Pike were to leap out and bite you you’d be putting an unnecessary strain on the emergency services.
I can also tell you are thinking ‘more Lycra next time’ . Probably?

Yes I met a few earlier , such a nice day
Stopped to take a pic of a kestrel & didn’t expect to see a surfer C40DAF04-C3B3-4380-8075-58C5D908A63A.jpeg

12 pages long, not bad for a something and nothing post!
I have read enough now, car drivers and cyclists really need to get along! Now on with the lycra for my 22 mile loop before we are ordered to stay indoors unless going to work or the shops!

Let's hope you don't fall off and end up in A&E, our wonderful NHS staff have enough to deal with.

There are some of the road race fraternity that seem to have had some sort of social skills by pass. Met a small number when our today, the never smilers, vast majority are fine.

Just back from a lovely 4.5 mile run.

My grumble-zone:

The family with two young girls having a picnic on a near deserted beach. Breaking the rules but hey, nearly deserted

The two cyclists side by side on the greensward cycling between two signs that say's "no cycling" ..... now that really does p*ss me off as it's one place where small kids can run free and the sign is to protect them, having been a few accidents. However these days geriatric lewis Hamilton's on mobility scooters pose a bigger threat.

The cyclist who stopped on a narrow track and pulled his bike off the path so I could pass .... the Cad! How dare he give me heart attack, he even smiled! :shocked

The two walking side by side at the other end of the track making room for no one .... no problem, I needed to stop and get my breath back anyway,

Oh, and "expletive deleted" driver who thought it was ever so clever to give me about six inches of road to run in, but then that's par for the course ....

Otherwise, a beautiful day by the sea and lots of smiley faces.

Last edited:
Granny Jen.....we only need to know whether you wore Lycra or not. If you did, I’m afraid it’s off to the Tower for you. Otherwise it appears you could have robbed the Bank of England, assaulted many Cyclists or even said something bad about the Queen and you would have been safe......but Lycra....oh Dear!
It’s time for you to ‘fess up!

Yes I met a few earlier , such a nice day
Stopped to take a pic of a kestrel & didn’t expect to see a surfer View attachment 57079
Er.....exactly how far were you from that surfer? It looks more than 2m but if you haven’t been socially distancing.....well....I’ll tell California Ben that’s what I’ll do.

Er.....exactly how far were you from that surfer? It looks more than 2m but if you haven’t been socially distancing.....well....I’ll tell California Ben that’s what I’ll do.
The surfer was definitely social distancing

We all drive nice Vw vans & love the great out doors so we all should get on & have a bit more community spirit

Granny Jen.....we only need to know whether you wore Lycra or not. If you did, I’m afraid it’s off to the Tower for you. Otherwise it appears you could have robbed the Bank of England, assaulted many Cyclists or even said something bad about the Queen and you would have been safe......but Lycra....oh Dear!
It’s time for you to ‘fess up!

Sadly .....

Wearing crops with lycra ....

Sorry :(

Stout Brogues and thick woollen tights next time .....

Just got in from decorating the shed and Wow!!! We're only two weeks into this lock down business and things appear to be getting rather ugly already. Some quite unpleasant comments being posted. Frankly, this is a great forum but I'm starting to question whether I should be spending my spare time more productively.

BTW @RodCouncil apologies accepted.

Last edited:
Just got in from decorating the shed and Wow!!! We're are only two weeks into this lock down business and things appear to be getting rather ugly already. Some quite unpleasant comments being posted. Frankly, this is a great forum but I'm starting to question whether I should be spending my spare time more productively.

BTW + Rod Council apologies accepted.

Couldn’t agree more Borris. I don’t understand this hatred of cyclists. You know, some people think folks who sleep in vans and spend weekends polishing and fiddling with them are strange! Hard to imagine I know. But each to their own. Can we get back to posts about broken chairs and crap headlights please?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got in from decorating the shed and Wow!!! We're are only two weeks into this lock down business and things appear to be getting rather ugly already. Some quite unpleasant comments being posted. Frankly, this is a great forum but I'm starting to question whether I should be spending my spare time more productively.

BTW + Rod Council apologies accepted.

Borris please keep posting, yes this thread and other CV threads are becoming heated.

Strangely this time last year we also had a cyclists thread that went the wrong way.

It is a very stressful time for all and it's showing, not just here but on every form of media that I am associated with. Your contributions are always valid and valuable, if it times to some slightly controversial.

Nice let opportunity to raise
Can not quite believe i have read through the above post. Can we not find a way of getting along, cyclists can ride on roads, and walkers can walk on footpaths, occasionally the two will meet. No one has any intention of injuring, hurting or upsetting anyone. There are as many “idiots” racing motorbikes and driving cars at higher speeds down those same lanes the farmers are using. We all have a duty to act responsibly. So I will put on my lycra and ride the same quiet lanes I always have done, will give pedestrians 2m distance, ring my bell, and take great care to get home safely. I hope everyone is well and by taking care of each other.
I have lane near me and the cyclists come down faster than any motorbike, 4x4 or farmer absolutely deadly as you can't hear them. I believe the law needs updating as when it was written nobody ever envisaged cyclists coming so close to walkers at great such speeds.

Would also like to see a tax charged for road usage by cyclists not necessarily to raise revenue (though every little bit helps, especially in these lean times) but to put them on a proper footing and bring them in line with other activities / hobbies (fishing, drones, RC planes etc.) who all pay towards the upkeep of their hobby. I know a lot of cyclists are also car drivers but you have vehicle tax for each and every car you use.The tax would also help pay for much need dedicated facilities.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of going out on my bike tomorrow. I can’t decide what to wear; lycra bib shorts and jersey or tweed jacket and cloth cap. Please help.

Rick

My bike has a warning device fitted. It’s called a Voice - it has several pre-programmed modes ranging from Hello, Behind You, On your left/right, Excuse Me, Coming Through. I find it more useful and less intrusive than a bell.

I share your thoughts on this and the Highway Code agrees as well. I much prefer to give people a polite good morning, or good afternoon followed by coming past, some people still grumble about a bell.

I went out for a ride today to do my bit to keep healthy, as far as I can tell everyone was super happy to see me, despite lycra.

I’m thinking of going out on my bike tomorrow. I can’t decide what to wear; lycra bib shorts and jersey or tweed jacket and cloth cap. Please help.

Rick
NO
9EC9D695-17F5-448F-8330-DC3CCF7FDE86.jpeg

YES
90C03325-8E56-4451-8850-CC6F7C87AC85.jpeg

This, actually, is why cyclists get a bad name.

OK, he's a numbnut, one of those that don't give a flying wotsit about social distancing or even worse, pure courtesy. To come out of nowhere, to be travelling 4 or 5 times the speed of the people in front, passing feet away from them without giving any warning or presence, seriously this is a legitimate grumble.

Sadly all of us that have a hobby, sport, occupation, also have those that by their actions rubbish others in the same fraternity,

I love cycling, I love any cardio exercise, I used to climb mountains, big ones,, then go home and start pulling people off local cliffs and mountains that had all the gear and none of the expertise and even less of the social consideration. Just because they were "rock climbers" or "mountaineers" did not make them any more than just another prat in my eyes nor any more to be defended just because they indulged in the same sport as me.

Borris has a point. People giving no warning of their presence riding a bicycle that could damage them and going past at a fair rate of knots just feet from you is pretty unpleasant. Thankfully very few cyclists are like that.

Last edited:
Why don't we hate on skaters for a while, they break everything they touch, stairs, railings, benches...

Back