Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclist's and CoronaVirus

I agree. Why aren't all bikes sold with some form of warning device fitted? Mind you they are of no use if some people won't use them.
They are and like the ignorant folk who either don’t use them or remove they are counter balanced by pedestrians listening to music or not paying attention.

I have to say you’re one of the biggest negative voices on here, you never see anything from other people’s or a wider perspective, try and post something positive?

I have to say you’re one of the biggest negative voices on here, you never see anything from other people’s or a wider perspective, try and post something positive?
Sorry Rod, I disagree. @Borris is a great guy and posts a lot of informative and helpful posts,
The forum itself is very negative at the moment, understandably.
Perhaps this thread should be closed down as it just deteriorates into pro/anti cycling vs pro/anti pedestrians/car users.

Last edited:
Can not quite believe i have read through the above post. Can we not find a way of getting along, cyclists can ride on roads, and walkers can walk on footpaths, occasionally the two will meet. No one has any intention of injuring, hurting or upsetting anyone. There are as many “idiots” racing motorbikes and driving cars at higher speeds down those same lanes the farmers are using. We all have a duty to act responsibly. So I will put on my lycra and ride the same quiet lanes I always have done, will give pedestrians 2m distance, ring my bell, and take great care to get home safely. I hope everyone is well and by taking care of each other.

Just been to the chemist which was a 7 mile journey and I saw no less than 6 cyclist on a local A road in full cyclist gear . I know you are allowed to go and exercise but this is so irresponsible as if they had an accident it would take up vital resources.

Before any one says I'm anti cyclist, I am not as I am a cyclist too but I have only been cycling on cycle paths away from roads.

Rant over
REALLY! BUT REALLY REALLY .:rage

Just been out for my Lycra clad cycle. Stunning day and good to get my mind off events.
perhaps the likes of welsh gas and borris should give it a go. They are clearly missing a trick....

Very disappointed to see yet another divisive, argumentative thread on this forum which is supposed to be about the joy of campervans.
I know we are all getting cabin fever and wondering when we'll ever get to sleep outdoors again, but shouldn't we all be trying to get along at this time when we're all in it together?
You don't know best, I don't know best but we are all trying to do our best.
Please keep this stuff for Twitter or some other suitable forum.

The message is clear, Stay at Home, Save lives , Protect NHS, some people are so thick

Fry wrote on Twitter: “OK. Until this thing is over we’ve all got to be helpful, friendly and kind to each other, understood?
“Hatchets buried. Grievances forgotten. Disputes resolved. Feuds ended. Strangers smiled at. When the final whistle is blown we can go back to be being mean and beastly. Agreed?”

Wise words from a wise man ..............

Sorry Rod, I disagree. Borris is a great guy and posts a lot of informative and helpful posts,
The forum itself is very negative at the moment, understandably.
Perhaps this thread should be closed down as it just deteriorates into pro/anti cycling vs pro/anti pedestrians/car users.
I agree with the first part and disagree with the second part.

@Borris is one of my favourite posters.

This forum is a safe place for people to vent their frustrations during the current lockdown.

I think statistics should be expressed as percentage of miles travelled or as a percentage of road users. There are more accidents with cars , but there are are a lot more cars.
I may assume the hate for "lycra" cyclists comes 1) from sport enthusiasts in country road that ride side by side or in packs, causing a more problematic overtake and sudden braking to 20mph if on the other side there is no incoming traffic.
The great majority of lycra cyclist will immediately stay on the side of the road, no more riding next to each other to allow cars to overtake.
It is the few ignorant that continue side by side holding a car up that infuriate the motorists. You tend to remember this 10% of idiots, not the 90% of well behaving "lycrist".
2) lycra in town commuters and bike deliveries. Not all, but many, many, adhere to no traffic rules. Red lights, pedestrian paths, cutting in front, you name it. It's not all the cyclist, but this portion of commuters or delivery people that respect no rules infuriates other motorists and are indeed a danger to pedesteian and an annoyance to motorists.
Again the tendency is to erroneously label all "lycrists" as idiots riders, but that's a stereotyping that is unfair to the many law abiding and respectful ones.
Of course you can find the same difference within motorcyclists, car drivers, bus drivers, or even people walking for that matter

As in all walks of life there is a small percentage of individuals who are stupid, wether that be cyclists, motorcyclists or campervan drivers. We must all be tolerant of each other . We should remember cycling has been here longer than driving a car or van. A cyclist is burning fat not oil, they are getting exercise and leaving no environmental damage at all.

one thing that the current situation is doing is asking a question, do we really need cars? .. before you all slate me ...I am a cyclist, love motorcycles ..and have a Cali .. I drive a van for my work.

As in all walks of life there is a small percentage of individuals who are stupid, wether that be cyclists, motorcyclists or campervan drivers. We must all be tolerant of each other . We should remember cycling has been here longer than driving a car or van. A cyclist is burning fat not oil, they are getting exercise and leaving no environmental damage at all.

one thing that the current situation is doing is asking a question, do we really need cars? .. before you all slate me ...I am a cyclist, love motorcycles ..and have a Cali .. I drive a van for my work.
“do we really need cars” ?
Up to a point no, but some of us are too far outside of the existing public transport ”network” that unless there’s a major overall in the provision of public transport then I’m afraid we have no alternative.
We would need a major change of mindset too. We (me included) would have to stop seeing cars as objects of desire and status. Maybe if we all drove Trabants we would kick the habit and lust after a ride on the bus!

I agree with the first part and disagree with the second part.

@Borris is one of my favourite posters.

This forum is a safe place for people to vent their frustrations during the current lockdown.
Vent them on Twitter or the area designated for bile where OP is very familiar with (Brexit Celebrations).

If you want somewhere to discuss this nonsense then you’ve got a safe zone for it in the Three Cocks OP.

As for Borris, I overreacted and the context was on this thread only, I’m sure you’ve posted much more beneficial threads than i in the past so apologies, this thread is clearly getting under my skin.

Why ‘every’ cyclist? Also let me remind you that the ‘whinging’ was initiated by someone complaining about cyclists. Just a lot of people here trying to explain that this is just nasty and unhelpful. Badly done.

Read above. I accepted "every" was the wrong term and subsequently changed it.

Last edited:
I am a cyclist (mountain bike), motor cyclist, driver of fast and slow cars and an expensive camper. I was also brought up in a rural area where a flock of sheep being driven to new pasture could cause serious vexation to some motorists, but they just had to bite their lip, otherwise they could be in for a long wait. Sheep have never heard of the highway code.
I have found that for all modes of transport, drivers in nearly every other European country are more considerate to cyclists and motor cyclists than the U.K. I can't understand how a recreational cyclist can turn against his fellow cyclists when he becomes a motorist.

This is a bit like long bank holidays and school closures, always the time when long days bring out the angry posts!

Cycling is a wonderful occupation and cyclists feel terribly aggrieved that in their interaction with the motor vehicle they come off second best by a very long way. There are inconsiderate, thoughtless, rubbish drivers out there that seriously affect cyclists lives and probably with some justification we can say not enough has been done to segregate car from cyclist.

However when it comes to interaction with the pedestrian there are equally inconsiderate, thoughtless, rubbish cyclists that seriously affect pedestrians lives. Let's not tar the majority with actions by a few.

Now, as a runner can I please get onto the subject of dog walkers, especially those with long, extending cheese wire leads or worse small, yappy dogs with no leads that love attacking ankles! :shocked

I agree. Why aren't all bikes sold with some form of warning device fitted? Mind you they are of no use if some people won't use them.

My bike has a warning device fitted. It’s called a Voice - it has several pre-programmed modes ranging from Hello, Behind You, On your left/right, Excuse Me, Coming Through. I find it more useful and less intrusive than a bell.

Yes I drove to the chemist. Read it again!!

I said I had been out previously on my bike for excercise on a cycle path travelling at a slow speed. Don't worry, I am not one of these lycra clad idiots that think they are in the tour er France and hated by the majority of the population
Wow.....nice attitude!

Just been out for my Lycra clad cycle. Stunning day and good to get my mind off events.
perhaps the likes of welsh gas and borris should give it a go. They are clearly missing a trick....
I have. Have been every day for 1 hr through the lanes. I also walk to the local supermarket . I have nothing against cyclists in general but some of the pompous comments made by some of the “ cyclists” on here are beyond the pale.

Just been to the chemist which was a 7 mile journey and I saw no less than 6 cyclist on a local A road in full cyclist gear . I know you are allowed to go and exercise but this is so irresponsible as if they had an accident it would take up vital resources.

Before any one says I'm anti cyclist, I am not as I am a cyclist too but I have only been cycling on cycle paths away from roads.

Rant over
Mmmmm...everything I do is right because I agree with it, anything anyone else does is wrong if I disagree with it.
And it’s just all too risky isn’t it, best not allow anyone to do anything eh?

Hardly any travel news on the radio at moment but today as cyclist got hit by a tractor locally, I dread to think of the amount of resources took up as the air ambulance was called. All the farmers are out at the moment due to the good weather so why would anyone risk cycling ? My exercise currently consists of sit ups in my bedroom
You’re absolutely right. What a liberty, we should ban farmers immediately having accidents at a time like this.
As an aside to many of the posters on here....do you not just stop and read your comments and maybe, just maybe...think that your attitude is a little ....well....parochial? Sorry, couldn’t think of a better word, and not meant to be rude at all. But perhaps more liberal thinking might sometimes be in order.
I hope you are well and happy in any case.

Back