Denmark trip 2019 / meet in Bornholm

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
On sunday the 18/8 we headed of for three weeks away from home , we are heading up north to take part the 2019 Bornholm meet in Denmark set up by @Kmann .
More info here:
Only the thirth time we set of on a trip without Mieke our beloved Vizsla we had to let go after 12,5y and lots of trips together....still feels strange ...
From home near Antwerp heading in to Holland , and some on here know that my favorit place to visit in Holland is......yes CCN Amersfoort ;) so thats our destination on a sundayevening . A 160km ride from our place to Amersfoort to stay overnight on the parking next to Hollands best VW California service center/dealer . Spending the night there is not much more than a parking in front of the showroom in a industrial area , but the reward comes in the morning . Waking up and heading in the showroom for a nice coffee and a few hours looking and drooling at California's , Westfalia's , and lots of VW campinggear . On top the Grand California 600 is also to look at (and can be orderd !) we had a thread on this allready
As usual always someting special to discover , now they got thiere hands on a T3 Westfalia Joker thats been used in the Westfalia factory to show how the camper was build and worked .
Amazing to see how simple these T3 were build .

IMG_0925.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG

Last edited:
So when we had finisched coffee and chatting with the guy's at CCN we headed in to Amersfoort city which is a nice place to vistit by foot or bike .
IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG
Then drove only about 40km from Amersfoort to Barneveld at a very lovely farmsite where you can spent the night .
Been here before and will come again , 15€ for the night hook-up , wifi included , they ask 1,5€ for a shower , so 18€ spent ... :D
Nice owners , museum , working farm .
This was the morning wake-up view ....
IMG_0943.JPG
Enjoyed the sun , there where two other campers , only 7 pitches no caravans allowed .
Nice way to end our second day .

Last edited:
Thuseday the 20th heading in to Germany , drove about 215km to Bramsche for a night at a free camperspot next to the public swimpool . Just a parking with a few reserved pitches for campers and electric/water with coins .
IMG_0950.JPG
We needed nothing so just parked up for lunch and took out the Bromptons for a short ride in to town and round the lake which in German is "see" ;) it was the Hasesee ....
Weather was ok we had some light rainshowers now and then over the last few days and 20-22celcius .
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

Return to base , the Cali on the parking next to the swimpool , busy and constant flow of visitors but once after 20h all was pretty quite , a free parking so thats what to expect .
If you like there was a campsite nearby also.

Last edited:
Wednesday 21/8 drove of pretty early and heading to the Danisch border (Flensburg) , i don't like driving in Germany ....
To many lorry's , to many roadworks (baustelle) and traffic jams (stau)
But in the end today went well and ended after about 400km with a short fuellstop and breakfast at a campsite only 40km acros the border in Aabenraa , a small city by the waterfront , think it's a fjord .
Basic campsite 200Danisch kronen(29€) for the night electric,wifi,showers,...all in.
IMG_0949.JPG

We walked in to town (20min) and allong the small beach and harbour . Very nice place to visit , also possible to spent the night near the harbour with seaview on a parking , showers/toilet with coins . Maye next time....
Denmark has lots of old houses , brick buildings , old churches .
Every city/town has someting to see .
IMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG

Still undicided where to head in the morning , thats my next job before heading upstaires and sleep .

Last edited:
Had a good night sleep on this site taking it easy enjoying the morning sun 19deg at this time bit windy (not me ;) ), it is not crowded at all this time a year !
Will be heading to Aarhus after we take a early lunch leaving the site by noon .
The first real campsite in four nights so did some householding in the Cali:thumb

I still think the T25 Westfalias are some of the best camper layouts even today, its fascinating (and a little sad) to see them open like that.

Looks like a nice trip so far, the Bromptons are a great idea. See you soon.

Arrived at Aarhus campsite , not that close to town but taking the bus in town tomorrow exploring . Getting a 24h pass giving acces to public transport and many museums and attractions .
Meanwhile sitting in the sun , here also quite strong wind but no rain expected next days , weekend looks like high temp. above 25cel comming up.
This our spot alltough now just a big white positiont next to us , friendy older couple from Norway ...
7CF3253D-F6E6-44CD-8AF9-53B1A5F98F9A.jpeg
Oh and look at our opposite neighbours...
German plate
325FB765-E489-4A89-92D5-8C1330DEFCB1.jpeg
Done 160km today and staying two nights here.
Driving in Denmark is soooo much more relaxing than in Germany , did say i don’t like driving on the autobahnn....did i ...? :Depressed

Just few minutes after us a two-tone Ocean popt in (German plate) parked next to us and then went off 30m the other side inbetween big whites ....close to the toilet block.
He could have pitched up next to us and a hedge on the other side ....funny thing...

Last edited:
Autobahn reminds of me UK motorways but with less lanes and more speed difference. I love the no overtaking for trucks rules in places, really keeps everyone moving. Well everyone except the trucks :(
I found Denmark roads very nice and smooth, a good quiet journey.

Looking forward to catching up!

A Cape Town rolled in the campsite , with a licenceplate i could not place . Google search brings me to Lichtenstein ....
Source Google , not theire plate;)
1566496925541.jpeg
992EE884-EE25-42A7-B9C5-70C515C9D9BE.jpeg
They been in the camper since arrival almost 4h now. ..everything shut down .,,..or they are realy tiered from the drive or that Cape Town is that cosy....?

Last edited:
Today no driving exept for public transport , headed in to Aalborg city by bus , got a city pass giving acces to bus , museum , ....
Having a great time , Aalborg is the 2nd largest city after Kopenhagen . Lots of shopping and great places to visit !
The Aros museum was great with a roundwalk 8 floors high all suronded by colored glas .
Salling Roof Top with DJ and drinks ....
3A4487B8-E1B2-4951-9D06-D70488DB28CC.jpeg

Danisch people do know how to enjoy life !

Walked 20km in the city , not seen it all...

Last edited:
Some more shots from today in Aarhus
AB7B451E-F258-47E7-B5E2-64B71659D556.jpegA1C66435-9CE7-4C11-9424-1EA36EF3C90F.jpegF16B506F-5B49-499B-815B-88FE2529A41B.jpeg7FDF0AE3-C769-455D-8CFE-499F87029D6F.jpeg7D0B25C3-D298-49A1-8B43-14DDFD0F73BC.jpeg
Need to find a busride back to the campsite ....or do we stay the night....

Saturday drive was not all that good , as relaxing the roads in Demark been in the past as stressfull it was today , only planned a 190km drive but took 4,5h ! A accident on the motorway nearby the bride over the little belt had caused a traffic jam .
F93FEE35-EE7C-424A-B1A7-6E27569827A3.jpeg
248FAF97-F60B-47C2-8172-2DC9A5817ABC.jpeg

We managed to get to the site i wanted and at least could enjoy the late afternoon sun , located on the island Funen , a it’s a small village called Bøjden . A campsite near the water , almost every pitch got seaview . Very large site (ACSI book) now 20€ a night (shower , wifi not included) . To be honest i don’t want to be here in high season as they seem to focus on family’s with playgrounds , direct acces to beach , big restaurant , lots of bungalows also . That means constant flow of cars to/from bungalows. Also the static caravan owners seems to use the free pitches as parking , saturday afternoon is the time to mow the gras also here.....
Two nights will do here i think , shame becose the view is nice .
FB073C02-F367-4168-8C1E-98AC509203AC.jpeg
If this would be a small site with max 40-50 pitches it would be a dream to stay a week ...

Last edited:
Sundaymorning wake-up....
Alltough the pitch and view was ok @186 , we asked to move to another pitch (@92) .
Reason : as said above they putted us in a area close to the cabins/bungalows and also surrounded by caravans based long term by Danisch . So cars parked up all arround and constant driving by ....
We come for relaxing not to see thesame BMW passing by 3 times in 30min!

Thismorning asked for another pitch , they probally put us there as i showed my ACSI pass and using the 20€/night price .
If i knew i could upgrade to a pitch with clear seaview and direct acces to the beach i have done so ...
First thing thismorning was to move to our upgraded pitch.
3E6C0221-D74E-437A-8992-AC71637677B9.jpeg
Now we had this view from inside the Cali
D7E560BB-C33B-4806-9615-E2661FF5FADB.jpeg
Today will be feet up all day enjoying the sun as forecast is 26celcius which i find ideal !
Lazy sunday ahead:cool::cool:

On sunday the 18/8 we headed of for three weeks away from home , we are heading up north to take part the 2019 Bornholm meet in Denmark set up by @Kmann .
More info here:
Only the thirth time we set of on a trip without Mieke our beloved Vizsla we had to let go after 12,5y and lots of trips together....still feels strange ...
From home near Antwerp heading in to Holland , and some on here know that my favorit place to visit in Holland is......yes CCN Amersfoort ;) so thats our destination on a sundayevening . A 160km ride from our place to Amersfoort to stay overnight on the parking next to Hollands best VW California service center/dealer . Spending the night there is not much more than a parking in front of the showroom in a industrial area , but the reward comes in the morning . Waking up and heading in the showroom for a nice coffee and a few hours looking and drooling at California's , Westfalia's , and lots of VW campinggear . On top the Grand California 600 is also to look at (and can be orderd !) we had a thread on this allready
As usual always someting special to discover , now they got thiere hands on a T3 Westfalia Joker thats been used in the Westfalia factory to show how the camper was build and worked .
Amazing to see how simple these T3 were build .

View attachment 49083
View attachment 49084
View attachment 49085
View attachment 49086
View attachment 49087
View attachment 49088
Really sorry to hear you have lost Mieke your companionable friend. I will miss the pictures of her having fun.

Lazy sunday was exactly what we could use , it was perfect weather to sit a the seafront 25-26cel light breeze .
Our second pitch is amazing with some trees to sit in the shade . We did nothing else than sit in our comfy Lafuma seats and only walked up/down the toiletblock ....real vacation ain’t ?
Tonight the sunset will be even greater to watch as yesterday
F441827D-6D31-4005-9C7A-C1D36D3CAC9F.jpeg
Tomorrow we head of to Kopenhagen looking for a campsite with close acces to public transport in to the city.

They been in the camper since arrival almost 4h now. ..everything shut down .,,..or they are realy tiered from the drive or that Cape Town is that cosy....?

Maybe they are on their honeymoon … :cool:

Last edited:
Saturday drive was not all that good , as relaxing the roads in Demark been in the past as stressfull it was today , only planned a 190km drive but took 4,5h ! A accident on the motorway nearby the bride over the little belt had caused a traffic jam .
View attachment 49238
View attachment 49239
Yes, it was a fuel truck that had tripped, spilling diesel all over the road, and the road actually started to dissolve, maybe due to the sun? Guests for our neighbours' wedding also got stuck, so that they had to delay their wedding – I was driving them from Church in the Cali :)

Mondaymorning the campsite was very quite , woke up and prepared to leave the site by 11-12h heading to Kopenhagen . I found a nice site on the www , in a fortress , but we made no reservations and we had to look elsewhere as it was full the next days .
It has been quite peacefull so far but seems Kopenhagen is busy and the weather forecast is very good , everyone wants to go out....
We needed to drive back south of Kopenhagen to a other site witch is bigger and plenty spaces left
Did about 180km driving
It’s not all that cosy here but it’s a short walk to the public transport and in to the city . We plan two days to explore Kopenhagen so keep you posted ...
Here’s our pitch
Now in the shade but in the sun in the morning , we are off the whole day tomorrow so will not be sitting next to the Cali a lot .
4CF47549-F5AF-4636-96E6-AB3E6354E257.jpeg

Been adding the missing campsite links to the previous posts so those intrested can have a look.
Seems lots a campsite near city’s are used by workmen to stay the week away from home . Seen it earlyer this week and here again , from 16-17h lot of buildersvans roll up the campsite . The ride over the Bridge from Funen to Seeland where Kopenhagen is quite expencive about 425DK / 33€ !
EE758726-0B48-4650-B8B5-8185B2D63D89.jpeg
A05A9B39-7773-4487-BF39-1F9508B6E911.jpeg