Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disaster at sea

The fact that Lithium ION battery fires are hard or impossible to put out is the main differentiating issue here I think, regardless of who initiated the fire.
This characteristic of EV are the reason why increasingly are EVs being not allowed in underground car parks, ferries etc...

The fact that Lithium ION battery fires are hard or impossible to put out is the main differentiating issue here I think, regardless of who initiated the fire.
This characteristic of EV are the reason why increasingly are EVs being not allowed in underground car parks, ferries etc...
If it was a lithium ION battery then it may have been responsible for the rapid initial development of this fire. However, as far as I am aware, no-one in any position of authority has so far suggested that it was a Lithium ION battery fire.
I suspect that the main factor responsible for the size of this incident would have been how long the fire had to develop and involve other cars around it before meaniful firefighting measures were put in place. But I wasn't there so what do I know!

The open design of the carpark along with the reported strong wind conditions would have further exacerbated fire fighting efforts.

However, even if the initial vehicle wasn't a BEV, that's not to say that there weren't others parked and involved nearby.

As I have already said, why not wait for the investigation report findings.

Last edited:
If it was a lithium ION battery then it may have been responsible for the rapid development of this fire. However, as far as I am aware, no-one in any position of authority has so far suggested that it was a Lithium ION battery fire.
I suspect that the main factor responsible for the size of this incident would have been how long the fire had to grow and involve other cars around it before meaniful firefighting measures were put in place. But I wasn't there so what do I know!

The open design of the carpark along with the reported strong wind conditions would have further exacerbated fire fighting efforts.

However, even if the initial vehicle wasn't a BEV, that's not to say that the weren't others parked and involved nearby.

As I have already said, why not wait for the investigation report findings.
Apparently a diesel Range Rover is suspected of being the source.

Apparently a diesel Range Rover is suspected of being the source.
Although the diesel aspect is coincidental. From what I have read from those in authority and knowledge of the situation is that it centered on battery and electrical system failure.

Although the diesel aspect is coincidental. From what I have read from those in authority and knowledge of the situation is that it centered on battery and electrical system failure.
It was front passenger side of the engine bay that was alight first, can clearly be seen in some of the videos.

Battery on an Evoke/ disco sport is front passenger side, there are also recalls for Evokes & disco sport for leaking & badly manufactured engine bay fuel hoses.

The LA fire fighters were the first attendees - their fire station can be seen in the background of a number of the photos about 400 meters away. By the time the regular fire brigade got there - within 10mins it was getting out of control. Sounds like they slowed it enough for everyone to get out of what is a very busy car park.

At the end of the day, saving lives is their first priority & they achieved that. They also managed to stop it spreading to the adjacent car park & protect the weeks old outrageously expensive new Dart railway thats 200 meters away from damage.

It could have been a far worse result.

Last edited:
Anyone watch macmaster on YouTube with his ev Porche? He's in massive negative equity debt with it. His insurance went up from 600 quid to 3200 in a year. One insurance company wouldn't even insure an ev. Meanwhile I'll leave this here too.
Evs are sh1te. You know when something is forced upo the public you don't want it.
The Switzerland issue is a draft proposal to limit ev use during energy shortages. Not good

20231014_151202.jpg

Is Luton in the ULEZ zone?
I hope so, otherwise all that pollution has got away without paying
anything.

Is Luton in the ULEZ zone?
I hope so, otherwise all that pollution has got away without paying
anything.
It might be called London Luton Airport but it’s about 28 miles from the airport to the northern boundary of ULEZ

Just seen this one on Youtube. Unless anyone is still in any doubt, this clearly shows that EVs have the potential to be extremely dangerous. They might not catch fire as often as ICE vehicles but when they do, the energy they release is in a whole different league. Fortunately, this one doesn't appear to be close to anything that's combustible. I really hope I am wrong, but it can only be a matter of time before one of these EV fires causes a major incident resulting in multiple fatalities..

Last edited:
747 brought down by a lithium battery fire.

Just seen this one on Youtube. Unless anyone is still in any doubt, this clearly shows that EVs have the potential to be extremely dangerous. They might not catch fire as often as ICE vehicles but when they do, the energy they release is in a whole different league. Fortunately, this one doesn't appear to be close to anything that's combustible. I really hope I am wrong, but it can only be a matter of time before one of these EV fires causes a major incident resulting in multiple fatalities..

Loads of other examples on YouTube.

747 brought down by a lithium battery fire.
There have been numerous incidents involving Lithium ION battery fires on aircraft, some resulting in the aircraft crashing with fatal results.

I love the tiny understatement, "That can become a big problem on an airplane 35,000 feet in the air."
It's one thing if it's in the cabin where cabin staff can try to deal with the fire using procedures and equipment that all airlines must have by now. However, it would be an entirely different matter if the fire occured in the baggage hold.

Last edited:
There have been numerous incidents involving Lithium ION battery fires on aircraft, some resulting in the aircraft crashing with fatal results.

I love the tiny understatement, "That can become a big problem on an airplane 35,000 feet in the air."
It's one thing if it's in the cabin where cabin staff can try to deal with the fire using procedures and equipment that all airlines must have by now. However, it would be an entirely different matter if the fire occured in the baggage hold.
Mentor pilot tells a true story of a 747 freighter crash after a lithium fire in the cargo hold. Horrendous tale. Heat was so intense it caused the flight control cables to expand giving no control of the stabilisers. Cock pit filled with black acrid smoke and captain unconscious. First officer had a terrible last few minutes trying to get it down

The other issue with battery/metal fires is the gases which are released. Very dangerous, so if you see an electric vehicle fire, get upwind of it.

That would be brilliant if it was an EV, this was natural gas tank on the roof that went pop, the jet will be a pressure release valve i assume

For me an electric motor is the ultimate solution to a lot of normal small car needs. They are infinitely more simple to maintain and produce than a combustion engine and if I’m honest just better in every respect to drive for A to B cars. The problem as I see it is it feels like a certain degree of staging going on with how newer battery tech (and infrastructure) that solves nearly all the current issues is being brought to market and we are being played by big oil until they can get a foothold in that emerging market. I know a big oil giant has just got into bed with Toyota around solid state batteries and i wonder how quickly things will move when other big players have moved into that space… And on that note I’ll take my tin foil hat off and go and put 80liters of black dino juice in my giant camper. I’ll also put 32kw of electricity in to the wife’s e-up and the run for cover :D

Last edited: