Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

Neilos

Neilos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
For Galvanic Corrosion, in the case of the California, you need steel, aluminium and water. Remove one of those from the equation and the problem is solved.
In the case of the section above the windscreen the problem was solved by changing the alloy used to make that section. Hence vehicles since My 2015 are supposed to be sorted.
Only the Elevating roof remains susceptible. Could fibreglass be the answer? Doesn't seem so as many Marco Polo's are having the whole roof replaced because of problems.

So as a 2018 model mine should have the update alloy front section in which case I need to look around the elevating roof. But I dare not pull that seal off. In some ways ignorance is bliss. If it isn’t showing anything above the seal then leave it be and take VW’s word for it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
So as a 2018 model mine should have the update alloy front section in which case I need to look around the elevating roof. But I dare not pull that seal off. In some ways ignorance is bliss. If it isn’t showing anything above the seal then leave it be and take VW’s word for it?!

As a result of the roof recall order, VW is supposed to look under the seal to check for corrosion, so it's going to get moved anyway when you go in for a service. I'm sure your curiosity will get the better of you before then!

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
It’s worth noting that (if I recall correctly) that the recent check of the roof tape was not classified as a ”recall”, so if discussing with a dealer it is worth spelling out exactly what we/you are talking about, just in case they are not familiar or are being awkward.

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
It’s worth noting that (if I recall correctly) that the recent check of the roof tape was not classified as a ”recall”, so if discussing with a dealer it is worth spelling out exactly what we/you are talking about, just in case they are not familiar or are being awkward.

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
If there is anything you will see little tiny paint blisters. If not don’t worry as this problem is covered by the paint warranty and it’s a fault they know about so don’t worry if it doesn’t show up in the first 3 years.
@Neilos The paint warranty is for...3 years. And the extended 6 year "Good will" repair for bubbling paint under the seal was set to expire in 2020. It's better to check now so you can move on it before VW washes their hands (funny how those last three words have taken on a new meaning).

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Thanks. As above, VW call it a “Workshop Action“, so is outside the normal safety recall process and as I understand VW do not contact owners but wait until you are booked into the workshop for a service, so if you don’t use VW for servicing you will not be aware (unless you are on this forum).

clarinetbcn

clarinetbcn

T5.1 Beach 140
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Thanks. As above, VW call it a “Workshop Action“, so is outside the normal safety recall process and as I understand VW do not contact owners but wait until you are booked into the workshop for a service, so if you don’t use VW for servicing you will not be aware (unless you are on this forum).
True. Just noting that I have two friends with Calis here that didn't know about the roof issue. When they booked into VW for service, the service manager immediately had an advisory pop up from the chassis number, and he was the one who brought it up with the owners.

Last edited:
WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
@Neilos The paint warranty is for...3 years. And the extended 6 year "Good will" repair for bubbling paint under the seal was set to expire in 2020. It's better to check now so you can move on it before VW washes their hands (funny how those last three words have taken on a new meaning).
I think the Paint Warranty extension only applied to the T5 and T5. 1, and not the T6.

Neilos

Neilos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’ll ask the question. I’m already asking about the scratches on the wheel arch which I think are from the sliding door which was a workshop action also if I remember rightly. They told me there were no notes on the system and my beach was not affected by the roof corrosion issue. I’ll also look myself. Thanks all.

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After 2 years, I took the roof seal off my MY17 ocean and discovered the tape was not applied to the whole circumference of the roof. It took two visits to the dealer to get that sorted. No evidence of corrosion that I could see. I’m glad my seal was not glued on after this, so I can check every year or so.

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Thanks, I’ll have a gentle look later then without disturbing too much. I’ll have a look for that picture because I’m not too sure what to look for.

Possible to see tape on the corner just poking above the rubber edging. On mine anyhow.

20171005_093400[1].jpg

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
I think there is some bonding involved.
When we collected SusiBus in March 2017, l pulled down the seal to check that tape had been applied as non was visible above the seal, it was not bonded on. The tape was present, and as of now, no corrosion is visible above the seal.

SusiBus

SusiBus

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
After 2 years, I took the roof seal off my MY17 ocean and discovered the tape was not applied to the whole circumference of the roof. It took two visits to the dealer to get that sorted. No evidence of corrosion that I could see. I’m glad my seal was not glued on after this, so I can check every year or so.

UNBELIEVABLE, never thought to check the WHOLE roof.

SusiBus

SusiBus

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Do you have pictures of rot location so others may check?
I have posted photos previously, and so have other owners. I'll try to locate them. In the meantime, pull back the seal in the footwell and you're see it, RUST!

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Our 2012 went into SMG Cowfold earlier this year for a service, and they booked it in for the corrosion work; So would suggest its now being treated as a recall so no time-bar.

We only have a very tiny amount of bubbling, so not really an issue for us to wait a few years for it to be fixed.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Our 2012 went into SMG Cowfold earlier this year for a service, and they booked it in for the corrosion work; So would suggest its now being treated as a recall so no time-bar.

We only have a very tiny amount of bubbling, so not really an issue for us to wait a few years for it to be fixed.
This Service Recall is available for All T5, T5. 1 and T6s from 2010 to about 2017 when they started fitting the tape under the seal at the factory.
Basically remove seal, clean, fit tape and replace seal. Any corrosion is fixed before the tape is applied. If minor the Dealership does it but otherwise booked into a bodyshop.

NB, this Recall is nothing to do with the panel above windscreen, only the Elevating Roof.

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
This Service Recall is available for All T5, T5. 1 and T6s from 2010 to about 2017 when they started fitting the tape under the seal at the factory.
Basically remove seal, clean, fit tape and replace seal. Any corrosion is fixed before the tape is applied. If minor the Dealership does it but otherwise booked into a bodyshop.

NB, this Recall is nothing to do with the panel above windscreen, only the Elevating Roof.

They just referred to it as roof corrosion, and they are booking into one of the approved bodyshops, (wait is about 2 years.)

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

This is a one year old rubber roof seal !

It is the roof seal that cause the problem around th edge of the roof

Go check, only takes a few minutes and gives peace of mind, you can also clear out all the crud that collects in the seal

After finding my seal had failed I fitted a peice of helicopter tape to the corresponding part of the roof to prevent the metal part of the seal makin* contact with my roof ( removed the tape before the replacement warranty seal was fitted) 7DDF8BEE-BCA2-4CD8-95E7-51CD79CC6086.jpeg4FB280B7-1851-408E-99D3-4C5A48A08804.jpegB29A3C02-CBC5-47A2-9D06-0C3A412288E1.jpeg5DC210E3-C55D-4406-BB92-3504E664ED08.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

VW California Club