Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you ‘wild camp’?

we have a Bivvy Loo - fits between the bed and passenger seat when 'ready for action', folds down to nothing at other times and waste goes in one of the many bins all over the place for dog excrement.

We dont generally use camp sites - we have developed a 'nose' for finding sneaky spots - sometimes out of the way in the wilds - sometimes in towns etc. We visited North Yorkshire last week - 5 nights away found a few great spots View attachment 92334

Hey, that’s my spot…

Echo the larger campsites being busy, not relaxing and expensive. Kids in bikes zooming around near the van isn’t relaxing.
Mostly in Scotland tend to sensitivity free camp off grid but make sure I put cash into the local economy some how, food, fuel etc.
I theres a small basic campsite then tend to do that.
Hundreds of nights and never been asked to move on dark California’s do tend blend better than the white boxes !
I always think it's amazing how different we all are. For me its the opposite I couldn't relax wondering if I have blended in well enough or might be moved on. I only count it as holiday if I can wind out the awning out and light the BBQ and sit out until dark. But its good we all have different outlooks otherwise we would all be at the same place at the same time !

:)Well again some great answers to another one of my ‘curious’ questions.

Something not fully highlighted but touched upon is cost. If you are only spending a few days away now and then the cost doesn’t really come into it, but for us when we have been away for say 120 nights on the trot we simply could not afford campsites anyway. Also we like the spontaneity of not really having a plan, just turn the key and go. The French Aires (no, NOT the motorway ones!) are a fantastic way of travelling through France, we love them. I agree that it’s not so easy in the UK but we live in Scotland so not so much of an issue.

Lastly (and do feel free to call me grumpy on this one) I object to taking my own accommodation and paying someone else to park it! I just want a short stop over ready for the next days adventures, I don’t need all the facilities. Different if you have children of course.

I don’t have a potty. Normally I make one food or at least a coffee a day in a bar/coffee shop/ restaurant so that’s my moment for number 2
This is fine if you can control your body to that degree. I can’t and neither can my wife or my grandchildren. That’s why we have a Porta Potti. Close the blinds and get on with it. Wild camping doesn’t mean you can do your business anywhere you like. All land belongs to someone and I wouldn’t like someone doing their business on my land. It always seems to be raining when I get the urge so digging a hole while getting soaked is not my idea of heaven. Happy camping.....

Only rented campers so far so please excuse me for this question but when "wild" camping, where do you use your Portapotti? ;)
Two options - portapotti or Bog in a bag (BIAB).
Early Morning, pull out the popup tent, use BIAB.
Through the day - PortaPotti in the van. One person takes a stroll outside while the other person uses.

The BIAB can go into any black bin.

We also have a spare waste carrier, into which if we empty the PortaPotti, We can empty it twice over and we can get over 6 days of service from the PP, before we need to find a chemical disposal point.

I always think it's amazing how different we all are. For me its the opposite I couldn't relax wondering if I have blended in well enough or might be moved on. I only count it as holiday if I can wind out the awning out and light the BBQ and sit out until dark. But its good we all have different outlooks otherwise we would all be at the same place at the same time !
Yes, I can see that for sure but for me often too tired for that after an active day so the awning and BBQ are always optional, its about food, rest and planning the next day normally.
Each to his own.

This is fine if you can control your body to that degree. I can’t and neither can my wife or my grandchildren. That’s why we have a Porta Potti. Close the blinds and get on with it. Wild camping doesn’t mean you can do your business anywhere you like. All land belongs to someone and I wouldn’t like someone doing their business on my land. It always seems to be raining when I get the urge so digging a hole while getting soaked is not my idea of heaven. Happy camping.....
Ahaaha I agree

Actualitat for pee de go pee school (bootle) and the lady has one of this things
721CADEA-2D09-446D-863A-92AEB51B6702.jpeg

And for number two I only have problems one day and I just use a super market plastic bag.

They are not the prettiest solutions but they work for us. Having a potty in case if…for us it just don’t work

Me too like clock work, 335 is very useful for sure as are pee bottles.

Ahaaha I agree

Actualitat for pee de go pee school (bootle) and the lady has one of this things
View attachment 92368

And for number two I only have problems one day and I just use a super market plastic bag.

They are not the prettiest solutions but they work for us. Having a potty in case if…for us it just don’t work
Actually for pee we go old school (bottle)

I never dig a hole or left anything at the camp site

Interesting how we all differ!
We use to switch between wild camp (sometimes), private spot (often, e.g. Camperstopsbelgium) and camping (every x days if daughter comes along). For us it's being able to mix that's attractive.
Concerning the "off topic": though we have a fixed Thetford onboard, we always think about mr. Brown when in town (public toilet) or at café/resto, it's become a habit.

Last edited:
I get the impression that the majority of peeps on here use campsites most/all of the time. I accept that it does depend on location/country etc but I am curious to know how many VW owners spend time off site.

I am fairly new to California ownership and yet to really try the van but family and a few other commitments do tend to get in the way :D

We have had 2 Fiat based panel van conversions over the years and spent many hundreds of nights away touring across Europe. We have probably only been on campsites 3 or 4 times, all the rest have been Aires, Stellplatz and wild camping. We used to go on trips lasting 2 to 4 months at a time and only came ‘home’ to regroup and see family before setting off again!

So then, do YOU wild camp? :)
That’s wild camping9EC2C6C4-3CE5-4884-97A3-A428053C3168.jpeg

That is why I put ‘wild camping’ in inverted coma’s, and for the record I wouldn’t consider the luxury of a tent and a gas stove particularly wild :D
So what’s wild camping mean to you? Sleeping in the open on the ground? I suppose not everyone has the same ideas but sleeping in a tent next to a river with only your canine friend to keep you warm is hardly the lap of luxury. Yes sleeping in a tent ( minus canine buddy) lots of us did when we were young but to continue your whole life doing that doesn’t prove anything other than you are a sadist.

So what’s wild camping mean to you? Sleeping in the open on the ground? I suppose not everyone has the same ideas but sleeping in a tent next to a river with only your canine friend to keep you warm is hardly the lap of luxury. Yes sleeping in a tent ( minus canine buddy) lots of us did when we were young but to continue your whole life doing that doesn’t prove anything other than you are a sadist.
I think the issue here is what exactly is the definition of wild camping when the phrase is applied to campervans and motorhomes. I agree, a tent by a Loch with one’s Canine friend is lovely, my reply to 4 x 4 joker was a little tongue in cheek.

For clarity, when I ask do people wild camp, I mean off grid, not on a site, away from general civilisation. Let’s face it, a California is hardly the definition of wild camping.

Perhaps I should have phrased the question ‘do you ever stay anywhere without a booking, off grid, out in wild places, probably on your own, and hopefully non commercial and without cost?’ ;)

It seems to be a thing with these threads that we all get terribly pedantic over what is wild camping. Yes, I can hang pics in here of me on the way to Annapurna using feet but nowt else to get me along but it doesn't prove anything.

I think we can safely say that as we are on a California forum the question is "off grid, no permissions asked or paid for".

Wild camping is traveling around Australia in the 1970s in a 1950s VW kombi but wearing shoes but not smelling terribly nice..Campsites (what campsites)... if I can remember right every conceivable thing that could go wrong with a 1200 engine went wrong including throwing a Conrod through a 3 inch hole in the crankcase we had a spanner and a hammer and fixed it Jeremy Clarkson style.Sleeping when the van said I can’t go any further.. Visiting places taking weeks to get there which now you can get on a plane and you are there in an hour.
It’s called life and I don’t regret a second of it but that doesn’t mean I want to do the same thing ever again. I’m just too damn old.....

CCED5912-7261-4D69-8ACC-E0012EE4BA9E.jpeg

I think the issue here is what exactly is the definition of wild camping when the phrase is applied to campervans and motorhomes. I agree, a tent by a Loch with one’s Canine friend is lovely, my reply to 4 x 4 joker was a little tongue in cheek.

For clarity, when I ask do people wild camp, I mean off grid, not on a site, away from general civilisation. Let’s face it, a California is hardly the definition of wild camping.

Perhaps I should have phrased the question ‘do you ever stay anywhere without a booking, off grid, out in wild places, probably on your own, and hopefully non commercial and without cost?’ ;)
No offence taken, in the uk most call it stealth parking

Back