Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you ‘wild camp’?

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I get the impression that the majority of peeps on here use campsites most/all of the time. I accept that it does depend on location/country etc but I am curious to know how many VW owners spend time off site.

I am fairly new to California ownership and yet to really try the van but family and a few other commitments do tend to get in the way :D

We have had 2 Fiat based panel van conversions over the years and spent many hundreds of nights away touring across Europe. We have probably only been on campsites 3 or 4 times, all the rest have been Aires, Stellplatz and wild camping. We used to go on trips lasting 2 to 4 months at a time and only came ‘home’ to regroup and see family before setting off again!

So then, do YOU wild camp? :)

Occasionally, more in Europe than at home.

I get the impression that the majority of peeps on here use campsites most/all of the time. I accept that it does depend on location/country etc but I am curious to know how many VW owners spend time off site.

I am fairly new to California ownership and yet to really try the van but family and a few other commitments do tend to get in the way :D

We have had 2 Fiat based panel van conversions over the years and spent many hundreds of nights away touring across Europe. We have probably only been on campsites 3 or 4 times, all the rest have been Aires, Stellplatz and wild camping. We used to go on trips lasting 2 to 4 months at a time and only came ‘home’ to regroup and see family before setting off again!

The Cali is made for it. Half my nights away were off grid.

Even with the great lumbering beast that I have now I spend 25% of my time off grid.

Define ‘wild camp’… :)

If you mean camping completely ‘off grid’ somewhere deep in nature with no neighbours etc, there are not so many places in Europe where one is allowed to actually wild camp like that. Where it is allowed (e.g. many places in Scandinavia) we often do it. Where it is not allowed (most of Europe, especially in or near nature reserves where we holiday most) we don’t.

If you mean ‘not paying’, free-standing on aires, large hard standing parking places with lots of white giants around, the free parking of your odd Lidl, or what have you, we NEVER do it. Wouldn’t want to be found dead in such places… :Nailbiting
Then we much prefer a small scale campsite, preferably without entertainment, swimming pools and restaurants, grass under our feet…

Last edited:
Define ‘wild camp’… :)

When you mean camping completely ‘off grid’ somewhere deep in nature with no neighbours etc, there are not so many places in Europe where one is allowed to actually wild camp like that. Where it is allowed (e.g. many places in Scandinavia) we often do it. Where it is not allowed (most of Europe, especially in or near nature reserves where we holiday most) we don’t.

If you mean camper aires, large hard standing parking places with lots of white giants around, the free parking of your odd Lidl, or what have you, we NEVER do it. Wouldn’t want to be found dead in such places… :Nailbiting Then we much prefer a small scale campsite, preferably without entertainment, swimming pools and restaurants, grass under our feet…
I agree with that, perhaps true wild camping would be nice in the wilderness, but most people seem to define wild camping it as hiding in your van, pretending you are not there, in a layby for the night. Never really saw the attraction to that so it's a no from me

I 'wild camp' whenever I can - gets me places with much nicer views and not surrounded and overlooked by other noisy caravans & campers. The fact that it is generally free is simply a bonus. When I have stayed on a campsite has generally been for the showers as that is the biggest downside to wild camping. Half the campsites I have stayed have been OK, the other half I wouldnt particularly go back to - they are a means to an end sometimes. The 'special' times I remember being in the van have all been when wild camping and waking up to views far better than any campsite would generally have.

I do sometimes park up in a village, make the bed, shut the blinds and go to the pub until I need a bed...

Does Free Camping = Wild Camping?

Yeah - it tends to mean camping not in a designated camping area. Its generally used to mean any form of unauthorised camping.

For campervans that kinda makes sense as they are never really likely to go anywhere truly wild. However it still sounds odd when it might be parked up in a street somewhere in a city for example. But when it comes to doing it in a tent, to me wild camping should be somewhere literally 'wild', where you are miles from civilisation and have to hike in/out, although the common vernacular is not as picky as me.

yes if you mean not on a campsite, almost always but with an occasional campsite (preferably genre municipale). We rarely sleep more than one night in a row on the same spot anyway. We sleep in places that we mainly find on the apps Park4Night, Searchforsites and Campercontact so really 'wild camping': not really. And not at aires. We do not call the places that we find via the apps (or simply by a sign with a camper on it) ‘aires’ but camper places. Aires or 'aire de repos' are for us the car parks along highways (both péages and others) where it is better not to spend the night. Everyone has their own idea about this. This aside.
Just standing somewhere in a place that is not mentioned anywhere on any app and has no sign: no, travelling around with a camper(van) has evolved and there are thousands of 'permitted' sleeping places. Just pick one that satisfies you. Some for free, others for a small fee. What we also sometimes do is spend the night in places 'in front of the barriers' of a campsite: you pay far less than on the campsite but can use their sanitary facilities. Or just a camping municipale: cozy, inexpensive and often in the middle of a village. This is in France but also Spain, Germany, Luxembourg and Italy we do the same way.
What we do notice is that it is more common in the UK to spend the night at a campsite or at a parking lot at a pub or restaurant. We do this regularly when we travel in your country and enjoy a good meal then. Like that system.
As for other countries we visited with our westfalia: The Netherlands: not so easy and we rather choose to sleep at a farm or campsite there. Denmark: mostly campsites but also with the possibility to stand on a camper ground at the campsite.
So, sleeping: mostly at a camper place we find with an app or just a sign at a village; small campsites (municipals or ‘in front of the barriers’) and very seldom -and this is for our kids- at a campsite with water paradise but for a max of 3-4 nights (These are the only places that we book in advance; We'll see on the spot for the rest). Finally, I think that a small campervan is best for touring and not for camping at the same space for longer periods; we do not carry drive-away tents and such heavy, voluminous things with us.
We do not stop just anywhere and pretend we’re not there; this is not our way of travelling + that’s even almost impossible with the four of us :Grin
Greetings
Calibusje
Bruges
Belgium

Last edited:
Do I?

In certain circumstances yes. Will often drive 2.5 - 3 hours on a Friday after work to the Pyrenees, sleep in a "wild" spot to do an early morning hike/run. Not worth paying for a campsite for that, unless it's winter and I want to use their showers.

But (especially as a family) there are so many great campsites around that I like to support them, and we have our favourites - from quiet, informal sites to more lively ones where the boy can knock about with his mates all day (there are usually the same kids year on year). Also, when in the UK, the Peaks or Lakes pub with a field out the back for camping is an absolute joy.

I think 80% “”wild”” (Free ahah ) and 20% camping. It depends on my needs or the place that I am going

For 80% we stay on small farmer/nature campings. If wild, we never stay on parkings, aires or something like that, but only really "wild", wich in (western) Europe is not so easy anymore, legally speaking. Certain area's like the Pyrenees, Dolomites etc one can still find places where you can put up the poptop and stay overnight without being noticed...

When ever we can. There are quite a number if nice places to escape to in the UK if you know where they are. https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/ can be your friend!
My view of using wild spots or Aires in France and Stellplatz in Germany is to overnight is a must. We (that's all owners of campers & motorhomes) who have paid serious money to be totally self contained should not be having to pay for a campsite that duplicates the facilities that we have already paid for!

When ever we can. There are quite a number if nice places to escape to in the UK if you know where they are. https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/ can be your friend!
My view of using wild spots or Aires in France and Stellplatz in Germany is to overnight is a must. We (that's all owners of campers & motorhomes) who have paid serious money to be totally self contained should not be having to pay for a campsite that duplicates the facilities that we have already paid for!
That is certainly true: we only use a small campsite to take a good shower; for the rest we tour around and see the landscape we drive in and visit many things. I think a California is your best friend for that. We also use apps to find a place to sleep, but an air will not happen with us: this is a parking lot along a highway and there are literally thousands of better places to stay than that; but I know what you mean. Park4night/searchforsites/campercontact or just a sign in a village help you find it.

That is certainly true: we only use a small campsite to take a good shower; for the rest we tour around and see the landscape we drive in and visit many things. I think a California is your best friend for that. We also use apps to find a place to sleep, but an air will not happen with us: this is a parking lot along a highway and there are literally thousands of better places to stay than that; but I know what you mean. Park4night/searchforsites/campercontact or just a sign in a village help you find it.

I would not agree that an Aire is always alongside a highway, we know of very many in France that are remote places or in quiet villages which are recognised as overnight parking for campers.

I would not agree that an Aire is always alongside a highway, we know of very many in France that are remote places or in quiet villages which are recognised as overnight parking for campers.
That's fine, it's just for us an aire is something else; there have already been a topic about this ('overnight in French autoroute aires') and apparently some like to use the word 'aire' for all camper places that you can find on an app. Very well for me, it's just a word (I explained myself enough about sleeping on parkings along a motorway, péage or not and that's what I advise against). I suppose we mean the same. But I guess you know this too, don't you?

Last edited:
That's fine, it's just for us an aire is something else; there have already been a topic about this ('overnight in French autoroute aires') and apparently some like to use the word 'aire' for all camper places that you can find on an app. Very well for me, it's just a word (I explained myself enough about sleeping on parkings along a motorway, péage or not and that's what I advise against). I suppose we mean the same. But I guess you know this too, don't you?
Yes, I totally agree with you.

Ive fallen out of love with campsites. Become to commercial and over run.
With the family, if it’s longer than 2 nights.
We find a campsite or hotel. It’s easier for the missis and little one.
Short stops, we are happy to park up almost anywhere.

If I’m camping solo I never use a campsite.

4551236F-E608-48A2-9A76-B016ADB46097.jpeg

We dont generally use camp sites - we have developed a 'nose' for finding sneaky spots - sometimes out of the way in the wilds - sometimes in towns etc. We visited North Yorkshire last week - 5 nights away found a few great spots IMG_2598.jpg

I wouldn’t mind but my wife refuses to stop anywhere that the security is dubious. We have stayed overnight in some nice Aires but theres always been a number of camper vans and motorhomes on site.
If the wife is happy I’m happy..

Only rented campers so far so please excuse me for this question but when "wild" camping, where do you use your Portapotti? ;)

Echo the larger campsites being busy, not relaxing and expensive. Kids in bikes zooming around near the van isn’t relaxing.
Mostly in Scotland tend to sensitivity free camp off grid but make sure I put cash into the local economy some how, food, fuel etc.
I theres a small basic campsite then tend to do that.
Hundreds of nights and never been asked to move on dark California’s do tend blend better than the white boxes !

Back