Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you ‘wild camp’?

We like to stay away from campings. When we traveled by bike or motorbike to Scandinavia it was really ‘wild’ camping. We had a camping book with all campsites and ticked the one-star campsites with next to none facilities.

One-star campings did not survive the booming tourist industry so in our self-supporting campervan we will try to stay wherever we like, away from campsites. Especially the ones with hotel-like prices and all the fun stuff we don’t use. We stay on the obvious 'free spots'. Sometimes near a farm where we can ask the farmer, sometimes a hidden parking spot, sometimes in the middle of nowhere. And seldom in a place that is really not allowed to use for an overnight stay.

Golden rule: when there is more than one Big White parked up, we look further.

Last edited:
I get the impression that the majority of peeps on here use campsites most/all of the time. I accept that it does depend on location/country etc but I am curious to know how many VW owners spend time off site.

I am fairly new to California ownership and yet to really try the van but family and a few other commitments do tend to get in the way :D

We have had 2 Fiat based panel van conversions over the years and spent many hundreds of nights away touring across Europe. We have probably only been on campsites 3 or 4 times, all the rest have been Aires, Stellplatz and wild camping. We used to go on trips lasting 2 to 4 months at a time and only came ‘home’ to regroup and see family before setting off again!

So then, do YOU wild camp? :)
I have many nights wildcamping. Restrictions in the uk mean i travel more to europe, but when in the uk i wildcamp if i can. One problem being restrictive practices with booking of a min of two nights... quite often i just want to get away for the night... business lost

I get the impression that the majority of peeps on here use campsites most/all of the time. I accept that it does depend on location/country etc but I am curious to know how many VW owners spend time off site.

I am fairly new to California ownership and yet to really try the van but family and a few other commitments do tend to get in the way :D

We have had 2 Fiat based panel van conversions over the years and spent many hundreds of nights away touring across Europe. We have probably only been on campsites 3 or 4 times, all the rest have been Aires, Stellplatz and wild camping. We used to go on trips lasting 2 to 4 months at a time and only came ‘home’ to regroup and see family before setting off again!

Spain and Portugal are strongly discouraging , wild camping, Portugal have passed new laws prohibiting it. Sadly the few who have abused wild camping areas are the culprits.

Spain and Portugal are strongly discouraging , wild camping, Portugal have passed new laws prohibiting it. Sadly the few who have abused wild camping areas are the culprits.

I was in Portugal a couple of weeks ago. Spotted some douche emptying his grey water in a small village carpark.
:mad:

Sometimes wild camp in UK. Generally would be happy to use campsite, but I tend to travel at short notice and set off after work. Not many campsite welcome late arrivals, many require multiple nights bookings and they're expensive! Whereas a single night, arriving late, leaving early the following morning, works for us and (hopefully) is no bother to anyone else.

In the 7 years we have had our Cali, in the UK we rarely stay on a camp site. We find the various apps, especially Park4Night extremely helpful and reliable in finding great stops. Most of these stops quiet, safe and with stunning views.
In France we also 'wild camp' and use the brilliant 'France Passion' book to find great sites.
The only time we stay on camp sites is for shower and laundry, we generally don't like the 'cheek by jowel' nature of vans, tents and caravans all packed in together and also dislike the noise and rules.
At the end of the day, in our view, the Cali is designed for wild camping as long as you don't erect awnings etc and keep it simple and probably one night only.
Enjoy your fabulous Cali!

I still cannot figure out why would one pay soo much for Caifornia to sleep in a camping anyway... We've only end up on a campings when places have extremely strict rules against parking over night. Sometimes we pass by, pay for shower and continue to sleep far away anyway.

I only travel in UK now because I'm old and not in the best of health. I sometimes use a campsite if I can find a small cheap one, but if I'm on my way to somewhere and want to break my journey, or spend a night close to where I'll be taking pictures of a trail Marathon in the morning I've used laybys, car parks, and often pub car parks - not the ones from an FB group or a fancy expensive book, just find a pub with fair sized car park on Google maps and email or phone or take a chance and ask when I get there - never been refused yet! It means using the pub for food which is fine by me, saves me cooking and I've met all sorts of interesting people!
I have my own portapotti and empty it when I'm at a campsite or at home if it's a short trip.

20220502-OF-150755_3191.jpg
We're back home after a 3 weeks tour through Wales and Peak District. It seems to become more difficult to find a free spot for the night after covid changed the world. Most of the time we try to get some kind of consent - in this case, we asked the farmer. But many times the parking spots were also used by youngsters in cars to make some noise. OK if they want to but that is not what we were looking for :D
So we ended up camping on a few 'farmers campsites' - a field and almost no services. Which is fine for us. And £5 to £10 seems to be reasonable. Comes most of the time with a nice chat with the owner.

Absolutely no issues here "wild camping" in Spain. There are places I avoid based on local knowledge: Nice spots but inevitably smell like toilets once you pull up and get settled.
As mentioned in this a numerous other threads, there are simple measures to take to remain within the law.

I still cannot figure out why would one pay soo much for Caifornia to sleep in a camping anyway... We've only end up on a campings when places have extremely strict rules against parking over night. Sometimes we pass by, pay for shower and continue to sleep far away anyway.
Sorry what has cost got to do with it. I can drive to a 5* hotel in my California or drive to a field on a remote island and stay in the California while the rain is lashing down. Or I can stop in a lay-by and make lunch , as I am doing in Norway.
I could also spend the same £70,000 + on a Range Rover or high end BMW or Audi. I can drive to the Hotel but the other two uses are a little problematic.
Just because you buy a California doesn’t mean you have to sleep in a field, campsite etc. You have options and convenience to do what you want when you want.

I know it's not any of our members but some campervanners kindly left bags of excrement and other evidence in the forest at Borgie. Sadly this is not uncommon with the new breed of vanners. It makes me angry but also with the Highland Council for not making provision for public toilets. Tourism requires investment but regretfully seems council has no funds as show by the state of the road surface.

Two weeks into a French road trip decided to stay on campsites and it’s been a great experience. Weather has been amazing, wife has been happy. The campsites are almost empty so no over crowding or excess noise. Facilities like pool almost sole use. Currently on Il de re, pretty windy and sea temp is bracing so we chill by the very crowded heated pool today. Must admit this trip travelling very light has persuaded me campsites are not all bad especially in the low season

A349A1D9-417C-4F05-8667-159516CADA2D.jpeg

Most of the time we try to get some kind of consent - in this case, we asked the farmer.
How does this work? Do you track down where the farmer lives and knock at their door?

I love overnighting in places where others aren’t around. The majority of this I’ve done in Scotland when touring in my previous Motorhome. But found myself last night holed up in a little car park as I was too late to make it to the campsite last night (2am).

Lovely view to wake up to and even the security of a neighbour! :)

58235404-4378-40DA-B5BE-FF5D38A6E4B3.jpeg

Is there anyone who wild camps with their California with their roof up?

With the roof down, a California is just a largely anonymous van so it’s easy to see how you could wild camp fairly easily without drawing attention to yourself. In our case, we’ll need to have the roof up (two kids), which makes it very obvious that you’re camping.

I wonder if people wild-camping generally mean « with the roof down » or if it’s common for people to wild camp with the roof up as well.

Personally I wouldn't wild camp with the pop top up. If its necessary to leave in a hurry, its a major impediment.

I did 15 months straight in my Cali, at least 99% with the roof up. Wild camped in the centre of every European city. Even used to sometimes put out my table & chairs, notably right in front of the Reichstadt.

Never had a problem.

Personally I wouldn't wild camp with the pop top up. If its necessary to leave in a hurry, its a major impediment.
That’s true. Push comes to shove, it’s possible to drive with the roof up I think? How often have you had to leave in a hurry?

Is there anyone who wild camps with their California with their roof up?

With the roof down, a California is just a largely anonymous van so it’s easy to see how you could wild camp fairly easily without drawing attention to yourself. In our case, we’ll need to have the roof up (two kids), which makes it very obvious that you’re camping.

I wonder if people wild-camping generally mean « with the roof down » or if it’s common for people to wild camp with the roof up as well.
Hi! Indeed, you sometimes read it: “we let the roof down so that we do not stand out”. Well, I wonder: do people really think that a campervan can't be spotted without the pop-up roof up? One comes across so many small campers genre california that do not have a folding roof; as if it does not radiate that it is a camper and people spend the night there.
I put the roof up because firstly I want the extra air and space and there are also two children with us. So there's no other way. We are also in places where it is allowed/tolerated. There are beautiful places enough not to stand somewhere where the roof is kept down so as not to stand out because people know well that you are not supposed to spend the night there (but do it anyway). To each their own choice, but after 10 years of traveling with a poptop camper we have never been turned away to stay the night while we usually stay in camper places that we find on apps like Park4night. Of course, many will find this not ‘wild camping’ but it is also not staying at campsites like many do.

That’s true. Push comes to shove, it’s possible to drive with the roof up I think? How often have you had to leave in a hurry?
To leave in a hurry (or slowly) I would first need a Campervan. But to me it's common sense. 99.9% of the time probably never necessary but for that 0.1% you'd probably wish you had kept it down. Obviously if logistics demand pop top up then its worth risking the downsides.

I usually have the top down when overnighting somewhere unauthorised but not always - if it looks like a spot that doesnt need discretion then I will put the roof up and if they views are great (as in the first pic here) and its warm enough will sleep with the vents open to see it. Some stops are in pubs where they allow you to stay if you buy a drink or meal (as in the second pic) so will happily have the top up there if I feel comfortable but having the top up also means you hear more noise so if there is traffic around etc then keeping it down makes everything quieter.
In a town setting I would probably never have the roof up.
IMG_6287.jpgIMG_6074.jpg

Back