Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Door leak

Interesting. I wonder where the sealant is applied, can anyone advise?
To access this, am I right in thinking that it's a drill out rivets job, with replacement on completion? Not to mention door card removal and fiddling with the door lock mechanism to remove the window carrier?
I'll be interested to hear in due course if the remedy is successful.
The sealant is the black strip running around the outer edge of the panel in @Defender90 s photo. I decided that rather than disturb the panel I would try to stop the water getting in, so tightened up the window rubber seal with a short length of nylon cord as in my post above. So far it seems to have worked.
I think the panel is bolted in place, not rivited.

@Defender90, has this been sorted for you?
I have been researching this; the following thread covers the problem I think that I have, which is the same as yours. The window regulator is on a carrier which is sealed to the outer door skin. When this seal fails water runs out under the door card onto the step. I realise now that I had the same problem with my Skoda Fabia, where it was a well known fault. It also sounds as if your garage is well aware of this on earlier models.
It is most successfully cured if the regulator carrier is loosened to allow sealant to be applied, with the Skoda, it was fixed with pop rivets, hence my earlier comment. I understand that on the transporter base the regulator carrier is bolted to the door, can anyone confirm this before I start removing bits?

Hex collared Bolts.

58894BEA-FF1F-42E7-85DA-EC612FE153E9.jpeg

@Defender90, has this been sorted for you?
I have been researching this; the following thread covers the problem I think that I have, which is the same as yours. The window regulator is on a carrier which is sealed to the outer door skin. When this seal fails water runs out under the door card onto the step. I realise now that I had the same problem with my Skoda Fabia, where it was a well known fault. It also sounds as if your garage is well aware of this on earlier models.
It is most successfully cured if the regulator carrier is loosened to allow sealant to be applied, with the Skoda, it was fixed with pop rivets, hence my earlier comment. I understand that on the transporter base the regulator carrier is bolted to the door, can anyone confirm this before I start removing bits?

Hi I nearly said yes all sorted but just been out and checked still a small leak I can’t believe it.

Hi I nearly said yes all sorted but just been out and checked still a small leak I can’t believe it.
That's disappointing. It would help if the seal was designed properly in the first place.
Most of the Skoda crew have used gutter sealant, which seems to be successful, but has to be applied to a loosened window regulator carrier to be fully effective.
I might try to stop water coming in the window seal before I resort to dismantling door parts, which ,in any case is a job for warmer days, especially as the water is not getting into the van.

That's disappointing. It would help if the seal was designed properly in the first place.
Most of the Skoda crew have used gutter sealant, which seems to be successful, but has to be applied to a loosened window regulator carrier to be fully effective.
I might try to stop water coming in the window seal before I resort to dismantling door parts, which ,in any case is a job for warmer days, especially as the water is not getting into the van.
it has reduced it but still not right,the garage told me the carrier was loosened then sealed so not sure, going to speak to them today.

Well new actuator door card now fitted so fingers crossed,But a new leak has appeared the sliding door window is now leaking tracking through the door card so a new window will be needed

Well new actuator door card now fitted so fingers crossed,But a new leak has appeared the sliding door window is now leaking tracking through the door card so a new window will be needed
just an update new slide window fitted and no leaks so all good but the drivers door still has the same issue
parts replaced are new door card regulator and foam seal near the wing mirror.
shame as the garage has really worked hard to fix it but i can’t believe it’s not an easy fix.Back to the garage again I am tempted to remove the panel and sort it myself but just concerned about the warrant.

just an update new slide window fitted and no leaks so all good but the drivers door still has the same issue
parts replaced are new door card regulator and foam seal near the wing mirror.
shame as the garage has really worked hard to fix it but i can’t believe it’s not an easy fix.Back to the garage again I am tempted to remove the panel and sort it myself but just concerned about the warrant.
The saga continues, vw have had the van for 4 days and said they can’t get the door to leak.So I asked them to leave the door card off so I can try and locate it my self over the weekend.
I have just been out now with a hose it took me 2mins to locate the leak,it’s dripping out of the speaker housing on the regulator card why are people so incompetent.

The saga continues, vw have had the van for 4 days and said they can’t get the door to leak.So I asked them to leave the door card off so I can try and locate it my self over the weekend.
I have just been out now with a hose it took me 2mins to locate the leak,it’s dripping out of the speaker housing on the regulator card why are people so incompetent.
Poor design on the t6.1 door regulator card,the t6 is steel t6.1 is plastic I guess cost saving again.
I had both cables done on the recall now the passenger door is leaking just like the drivers door, the leak around the speaker is fixed but I still have a small drip from the bottom of the door regulator card,I think the issue is the 2 bolts at the bottom of the regulator card when tightened cause the middle to belly out because it’s plastic which allows the seal to pull away.
So the drivers door I have now fixed by unbolting the regulator card just enough to apply sealant to be applied around the lower regulator seal face.

But I shouldn’t need to spend my time fixing leaks on a 70k van VW are not the quality they should be.

Poor design on the t6.1 door regulator card,the t6 is steel t6.1 is plastic I guess cost saving again.
I had both cables done on the recall now the passenger door is leaking just like the drivers door, the leak around the speaker is fixed but I still have a small drip from the bottom of the door regulator card,I think the issue is the 2 bolts at the bottom of the regulator card when tightened cause the middle to belly out because it’s plastic which allows the seal to pull away.
So the drivers door I have now fixed by unbolting the regulator card just enough to apply sealant to be applied around the lower regulator seal face.

But I shouldn’t need to spend my time fixing leaks on a 70k van VW are not the quality they should be.

44401AA2-A283-446B-A49C-1C08C02C1865.jpeg

4C04617A-69E9-43AB-8688-1FFD7038B37C.jpeg

Just noticed this morning that mine has developed a drivers door leak. Water coming from between the door card and metal door frame at the bottom. Vans going in for a service in 3 weeks so have added this to be looked at. Seems to be a fairly common fault but I wonder if the work done for door cable recall is responsible i.e. not reassembled correctly?

BF693688-D078-4C1B-BF54-B914CB12595B.jpeg

CEF337CF-4532-452D-A414-B9EEBF41AECD.jpeg

Last edited:
Just noticed this morning that mine has developed a drivers door leak. Water coming from between the door card and metal door frame at the bottom. Vans going in for a service in 3 weeks so have added this to be looked at. Seems to be a fairly common fault but I wonder if the work done for door cable recall is responsible i.e. not reassembled correctly?

View attachment 102067

View attachment 102068
Hi it’s such a poor design only two bolts at the bottom of the actuator door card so the middle bows out with it being plastic,from what i understand the t6 was steel so another vw cost saving.I wasted so much time with this I can’t believe more complaints aren’t being raised.
Get a tube of good sealant get them to slacken the bolts around the top of actuator card remove the bottom bolts and run sealant between the card seal and the door frame contact points you only need to do the bottom section then replace the bolts and tighten all the bolts evenly.Also get them to run a bead of sealant around the speaker housing another leak point.What has happened to German engineering lol

View attachment 102067

View attachment 102068
hi has your leak problem been sorted?

What did they do to fix the problem??
Hi @Defender90
OK, my van went in previously for the cable release recall. I suspect that when this was done the seal between the regulator card and the door frame was compromised. The regulator card is designed to keep the water that can enter via the rubber window seals away from internal components such as the audio speaker. The door is designed to drain the water through holes in the bottom, to the outside of the van but if the seal on the regulator card is faulty then water can come into the van. To fix the leak on mine a new regulator card (with new seals) was fitted.

Hi @Defender90
OK, my van went in previously for the cable release recall. I suspect that when this was done the seal between the regulator card and the door frame was compromised. The regulator card is designed to keep the water that can enter via the rubber window seals away from internal components such as the audio speaker. The door is designed to drain the water through holes in the bottom, to the outside of the van but if the seal on the regulator card is faulty then water can come into the van. To fix the leak on mine a new regulator card (with new seals) was fitted.
They did the same with mine but no different still leaked I got sick of going backwards and forwards and applied a sealer which worked well till the other day very strange

They did the same with mine but no different still leaked I got sick of going backwards and forwards and applied a sealer which worked well till the other day very strange
Still in warranty? I know it’s a pain but I f so I’d still take it back to them to fix.
Where did you put the sealant? Did you take the door card off to do it?

Back