Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dreaded Tap Problem

britlandscape

britlandscape

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Whilst I was away on my first trip in my recently acquired GC600 I awoke one morning to noise from the water tank area under the bed, The previous day I had the same problem and just turning the tap on and off stopped the noise. This time it didn't. So early morning searches on the forum said removing the fuse worked which I did but it also stopped the water supply to the bath basin and shower. Also, the water levels in the Control Panel stopped showing the levels. After contacting VW Manchester I have been told that the earliest appointment is 5th December - no water for 6 weeks !!! - what excellent service is that?

Anyway, before I removed the fuse I tried to remove the two drawers under the sink so I could see the tap but I couldn't find a way of releasing them - can they be removed? and if so how?

I would add that before I purchased the vehicle both of these drawers had to be repaired because the laminate on the rear inside face of the drawers had bubbled. That was repaired by VW Swindon by the dealer I bought from but after a month the bubbling has returned. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the cause - is it connected with the tap problem?

Many thanks

Check if there’s a screw under the front corner of the drawer. To take them out you open it & lift the front edge off the runners. I can’t remember if there’s a fixing under there that needs releasing first.

If drawers have bubbled it will be water dripping internally through the tap that’s caused it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't check now as it's garaged away from my house so I will have to wait and check later in the week. I wasn't expecting there to be a screw to be removed - usually, with kitchen drawers, they just lift up off the retainer and slide out. Thanks

I think you may be right about it being the tap problem causing bubbling on the drawers which is one of the reasons why I want to take the drawers out and have a look at what is going on in there.

Thanks

I had the tap problem on one of our recent trips. I didn’t take the drawer out but you can reach the tap / pump fitting by reaching in that drawer. The cable fitting is a bit stiff but it comes apart. That way you isolate the sink but have water in the rest of the van.

I had the tap problem on one of our recent trips. I didn’t take the drawer out but you can reach the tap / pump fitting by reaching in that drawer. The cable fitting is a bit stiff but it comes apart. That way you isolate the sink but have water in the rest of the van.
I did notice that cable but like you say difficult to disconnect and didn't want to cause more damage by mistake. It was of course also the middle of the night ! I'll take a further look at it and see if I can disconnect it and then put the fuse back.

I still want to see behind those drawers and see what damage is being caused.

Thanks

Back