Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eurotunnel prices

It's the car-park at Murlough National Nature Reserve Car Park nr. Newcastle, County Down.

The gates auto-lock in the evening, 6pm during Winter, a bit later in Summer..... Once locked, you're there for the night, which is OK, as it keeps the car-park quiet all night long..... There is a basic toilet block, and cafe.... But these close/lock overnight also.

Again, it's on park4night app.

Last edited:
Hi Shane
Great saving to be had but for me there is already a ferry from Ireland and the small matter of the 400 mile trip from Holyhead to Folkestone so I’d never really get to use a multi trip.
If I lived in the UK though that would be an different matter.
Cheers
Frank

We booked Dublin-Holyhead for July, again via the aFerry app..... They have a 20% discount on Irish Ferries, and a 25% discount on Stenaline at the moment. Our booking, 2x adults, plus dog, came to £254 return.

I was shocked when trying to book Eurotunnel in November that every time I looked the price had gone up significantly.

I swore a lot and declared that they could poke it - I wasn't up for all those kind of internet shenanigans.

My husband, sitting in the office behind me and a frequent business traveller, once he stopped laughing at my complete naivity, took over the booking and, having found the best price options, cleared his computer cache and - hey presto - much, much cheaper prices appeared.

I think this is very sharp practice and can't believe it's legal!

In the end we booked two 'there-and-back-in-a-day' tickets and only used one part of each, giving us a lovely 2 night stay in France for a very modest amount of money. I think we paid about £130 for the four crossings, two of which we didn't use. This seems wrong to me, since presumably people are then turned away from trying to book if the train is fully booked because we have two crossings booked we never intended to use.

Ridiculous that you have to be 'in the know' to achieve an affordable crossing. It's worse than trying to buy a rail ticket. I really do not approve, but if I boycotted I would've missed out on my lovely little French sojourn.

Eurotunnel does seem very expensive.

I have just booked an 8 1/2 hour passage, Brindisi to Igoumenitsa:
€50 for the van
€20 per child
€30 per dog
€40 per adult
€110 for a private four berth cabin
€5 per person port tax

All clear, reasonable and transparent.

P&O Dover to Calais charge £22.50 return for an MPV and seven people or £25 for a tandem and two riders.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We booked Dublin-Holyhead for July, again via the aFerry app..... They have a 20% discount on Irish Ferries, and a 25% discount on Stenaline at the moment. Our booking, 2x adults, plus dog, came to £254 return.

Hi Jonathon

I also booked my Dublin Holyhead with the 20% discount which was great.

They usually do another sale early in summer for Autumn breaks so keep an eye out for that

I was shocked when trying to book Eurotunnel in November that every time I looked the price had gone up significantly.

I swore a lot and declared that they could poke it - I wasn't up for all those kind of internet shenanigans.

My husband, sitting in the office behind me and a frequent business traveller, once he stopped laughing at my complete naivity, took over the booking and, having found the best price options, cleared his computer cache and - hey presto - much, much cheaper prices appeared.

In the end we booked two 'there-and-back-in-a-day' tickets and only used one part of each, giving us a lovely 2 night stay in France for a very modest amount of money. I think we paid about £130 for the four crossings, two of which we didn't use. This seems wrong to me, since presumably people are then turned away from trying to book if the train is fully booked because we have two crossings booked we never intended to use.

Ridiculous that you have to be 'in the know' to achieve an affordable crossing. It's worse than trying to buy a rail ticket. I really do not approve, but if I boycotted I would've missed out on my lovely little French sojourn.

Hi Verity

Thanks for the tip, I’ll price that this evening.

Thank you
Frank

Have used Eurotunnel FT for many years and feel it's good value as worked out £55 each way. Have changed bookings without problem and often book my return at short notice too. You can put two names on a FT account so if anyone wants to do 3 trips across this year I’d be happy to team up as only planning two return trips myself. Either person can log in, make bookings etc. Paid normal price recently and it was £240 return so quite a saving.

Have used Eurotunnel FT for many years and feel it's good value as worked out £55 each way. Have changed bookings without problem and often book my return at short notice too. You can put two names on a FT account so if anyone wants to do 3 trips across this year I’d be happy to team up as only planning two return trips myself. Either person can log in, make bookings etc. Paid normal price recently and it was £240 return so quite a saving.

Hi Skewif
Excuse my ignorance but what is a FT account??
Cheers

Same with airlines too, designed to induce panic buying - despicable. I’m getting good results from Skyscanner at the moment who don’t seem to do this.

Hi Skewif
Excuse my ignorance but what is a FT account??
Cheers
Sorry. Lazy typing. Pack of 10 one way tickets to be used within 12 months £44 each plus £11 each way for being a campervan.

We use DFDS ferry multi trip, which has advantage that they can all be in 1 direction not return. Minimum of 6 crossings but work out at £34 each way and aside from very few blackouts are fixed price and totally changeable...... can anyone betterthis deal? Makes the tunnel look very expensive

Euroshuttle have thought of that.
F1BC1EBD-C64B-4B1A-A2B5-6D0620553741.jpeg
A colleague got caught by this little condition. Expensive Break in the end.

Euroshuttle have thought of that.
View attachment 28980
A colleague got caught by this little condition. Expensive Break in the end.
They are shockers, aren't they? We seem to have got away with this on this occasion. I can't understand how they can justify charging £60 for a return ticket for a one night stay in France and £200 if you stay there for 10 days. There seems to be no logic. I am easily offended by sharp practice, and this has really got my dander up!

Any reasonable person will assume that a return booking will encompass two journeys whenever they occur, over a day, a week or longer. So, why the huge price difference ???

The logic behind this anyone?

The logic behind this anyone?
Profiteering.

Holidaymakers sort their holiday then book the crossing, so will pay more but cannot usually be enticed to travel more often. Day trippers and short breakers can be enticed to make journeys they would not otherwise make with bargain bucket prices.

Morally indefensible.

See my post above about our passage Brindisi to Igoumenitsa - a refreshingly transparent pricing structure.

Frequent Traveller has other advantages. I don't usually book the return until I'm on my way home which makes for flexible wandering. Also you can cancel a booking quite easily and return the credit to your account with no penalty. At least that worked for me just a day or so before I was due to travel.

This really is a sticky subject but I suppose we do live on islands so it’s the price you pay to get to mainland Europe.

I’m getting caught twice so it does make travelling to Europe very expensive but so worth it.

Also looking forward to our trip to the Lake District in September so I’ll be looking for some local knowledge from you as well!!!

Great tips and information here.

Thanks to all for your advice.
Cheers :cheers

Profiteering.

Holidaymakers sort their holiday then book the crossing, so will pay more but cannot usually be enticed to travel more often. Day trippers and short breakers can be enticed to make journeys they would not otherwise make with bargain bucket prices.

Morally indefensible.

See my post above about our passage Brindisi to Igoumenitsa - a refreshingly transparent pricing structure.

Morally indefensible - agreed. It just seems wrong to me. Publish a price and stick to it, and stop trying to sleeze us out of our hard-earned, you swines, Eurotunnel!

I suppose as we are indeed island-bound they've got us by the short and curlies. The cache clearing tip is a definite wheeze though.

Such weasel practices make me more determined to have lots more adventures within our amazing island(s) though. The more time we spend in our Cali, vanning around, the more amazing wonders we discover about the UK. Having driven down Route 1 in the USA last year after hearing all the hyperbole about the amazing US coastline, the more I appreciate the UK's awesome coastline. The California coast was somewhat underwhelming after living in the wonderful British Isles for nearly 53 years. Who knew I'd turn into such a cheerleader for our splendid Realm??!! It's very underrated.

Thank goodness there are still the ferries so we do have a choice :(
True, though after a terrible experience in 2016 with dreadful loading and lots of dings made by car doors opening when there wasn't enough space, my husband now refuses to go on the ferries. The Eurotunnel prices aren't bad if you do the cache clearing thing. I was just so incensed by the prices going up exponentially once their computer system realised you were actually interested in booking something. I really think the government/consumer watchdogs should take this kind of thing up with the operators.

Your experience is interesting. I wanted to book DFDS direct Dover to Dunkirk in late December for a trip to Bruges. However the online system wanted to charge me as though my vehicle was a motorhome. I couldn't get around the issue so I called DFDS. The call centre agent asked me whether I had cooking facilities on board and of course I said yes. She said because of this its classed the same as a motorhome. I remonstrated, explaining my vehicle is no bigger than a large SUV but it made no difference, they wouldn't reduce the price. I placed my business with P&O, which was considerably cheaper. It just added 20 or so miles to the journey. But I have just noticed your van is a Beach. Thats why its cheaper with DFDS for you. Same external measurement, different pricing structure. Crazy rules if you ask me.
I booked direct with DFDS Dover/Dunkirk last Easter when we went to Germany - just booked a car 2.35m x 6m and entered the reg. no. Had no problems at all with the trip either way - it was £75 out and £69 back, both flexi fares so we could take any ferry 36 hours either way. (I have a T5 Ocean)

Back