Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eurotunnel - stopped at terminal travelling with Ocean on high car ticket.

I wouldn't feel very confident arriving there late at night with just a copy of an email as proof.
I would, especially if i was told on the phone that i could book
a Beach as a high car.
They´d get a right piece of my mind, the f****n jobsworth ba****ds.

So for a difference of £45 you're willing to risk losing the cost of your fare AND having to rebook and go to the back of the queue?
Utter madness
emoji31.png

Well maybe, but it's no more mad than ET themselves thinking it's okay to price two dimensionally identical vehicles completely differently just because one happens to have a bed inside it.

Well maybe, but it's no more mad than ET themselves thinking it's okay to price two dimensionally identical vehicles completely differently just because one happens to have a bed inside it.
I agree but the very fact that ET don't have a clear differentiation between the Beach and Ocean means you're taking a risk by booking as a high car.
But whatever floats your boat, I just wouldn't want the potential hassle for such a relatively small gain.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ET might be mad but they hold all the cards. Get it wrong, on the day, in the eyes of a jobsworth wearing a yellow jacket, is £45 really a difficult challenge to pay when it might be lose all and go to the back of the queue?

At the end of the day it is consumers choice, travel with ET or someone else.

I suspect really that a lot of the angst is not paying £45 but thinking "someone else got away with it so I must also" when someone else my be just being bellicose at the expense of others forfeiting their fare and going to the back of the queue.

If you drive a beach & consider it a big deal, take it up with the DVLA - they are the ones that have classified a beach wrongly as a motorhome on the registration document. Its the dvla database that the tunnel get their information from.

Get it reclassified to a car or whatever a caravelle is registered as and your problem is sorted.

When the early beaches came out, they were classified as cars & got hit with the emissions based car tax, the 4motion automatics hitting the highest band , whereas SEs at the time paid the lower flat rate motorhome tax. There was therefore at the time an incentive for vw to persuade DVLA that a beach was a motorhome.

I thought the Beach had in fact 2 beds?:Nailbiting

Clear as wotnot...

Thank you for your email.

Further to your query we can confirm if your vehicle does not have any cooking or heating or living facilities this would not be booked as a campervan when travelling with Eurotunnel. You are able to select the high car option when booking online or by phone. We hope this clarify's.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,
Eurotunnel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I responded to Eurotunnel explaining that a Cali Beach HAS A BED as standard but that was all, in regards to camping equipment. I asked for DEFINITIVE clarification of their rules.
The response as follows (I feel this should also be in the other thread on this subject but don’t want to duplicate as I imagine members will be subscribed to both threads):

Dear Mr Hutton

Thank you for you query.

I have checked the online system and when the registration number 'XXXXX' is entered on our booking system it comes up from our records as being a Campervan which of course your vehicle is not due to the amount of seats and having no cooking/sleeping facilities inside.

Therefore i can definitively confirm this vehicle would be classified with us as being a 'High car over 1.85' when it comes to booking with us, what you would need to do in future when you are booking with this same vehicle is to enter this category and leaving the registration number out of the booking by selecting 'I do not know my vehicle registration number' this will allow you to continue the booking. I understand this is frustrating for you when making a booking with us but when you add a registration number to a booking all this would do would speed up the process for check-in upon arrival therefore is not a mandatory field to enter.

If you would like to add the registration number onto the booking to have a speedier check-in you would be able to call the contact centre quoting the booking reference number and a member of staff would be able to override this for you.

I hope this clarifies the queries you have and if you do require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Freddie

Sales Support Team
Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

Obviously members have suggested this [no number plate] method before but Eurotunnel now suggesting it themselves may give some level of comfort in doing so. I’m going to call and add my Reg No. to the booking.

ET STILL ignored my mentioning the vehicle has a bed but have told them 3 times in writing.

I was young and full of hope back when I started writing to them. I shall be 50 next year and have no desire to spend the twilight days of my forties on this subject.

Rest assured their email response will be carried on my next crossing early Boxing Day and if there are any queries a shall staple it to the rep’s forehead with seasons greetings.... well if it’s a female rep I’ll use Pritstick, who said chivalry was dead.

I responded to Eurotunnel explaining that a Cali Beach HAS A BED as standard but that was all, in regards to camping equipment. I asked for DEFINITIVE clarification of their rules.
The response as follows (I feel this should also be in the other thread on this subject but don’t want to duplicate as I imagine members will be subscribed to both threads):

Dear Mr Hutton

Thank you for you query.

I have checked the online system and when the registration number 'XXXXX' is entered on our booking system it comes up from our records as being a Campervan which of course your vehicle is not due to the amount of seats and having no cooking/sleeping facilities inside.

Therefore i can definitively confirm this vehicle would be classified with us as being a 'High car over 1.85' when it comes to booking with us, what you would need to do in future when you are booking with this same vehicle is to enter this category and leaving the registration number out of the booking by selecting 'I do not know my vehicle registration number' this will allow you to continue the booking. I understand this is frustrating for you when making a booking with us but when you add a registration number to a booking all this would do would speed up the process for check-in upon arrival therefore is not a mandatory field to enter.

If you would like to add the registration number onto the booking to have a speedier check-in you would be able to call the contact centre quoting the booking reference number and a member of staff would be able to override this for you.

I hope this clarifies the queries you have and if you do require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Freddie

Sales Support Team
Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

Obviously members have suggested this [no number plate] method before but Eurotunnel now suggesting it themselves may give some level of comfort in doing so. I’m going to call and add my Reg No. to the booking.

ET STILL ignored my mentioning the vehicle has a bed but have told them 3 times in writing.

I was young and full of hope back when I started writing to them. I shall be 50 next year and have no desire to spend the twilight days of my forties on this subject.

Rest assured their email response will be carried on my next crossing early Boxing Day and if there are any queries a shall staple it to the rep’s forehead with seasons greetings.... well if it’s a female rep I’ll use Pritstick, who said chivalry was dead.

Once B****t , if ever, kicks in you'll have plenty of time in the queue to debate with the shuttle staff! Get you letters laminated ready.

As ET class a vehicle with a bed as a campervan then in their eyes the Beach is a campervan and I can't see that an email from a confused ET employee is going to help you when someone in a yellow jacket sends you to the back of the queue and makes you get a new ticket.

I have enjoyed reading this thread, but imagine if you went in to a VW dealers to order a Campervan and they sold you a Transporter LOL

Back