Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We do not have either it may have been of interest to have a "do not us a topper" on the survey - given the number of members on this site the % of answers is low.

Broch Hunter

Broch Hunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
I have both.

The internal topper has stayed in place since first fitted and in my view is one of the best things I have bought for the Cali. It is a great ‘fit and forget solution’ which makes the roof bed much warmer, drier and cosier. As I like my sleep I also quite like the fact that it makes the roof space darker in the morning. However, by using the openings which match the windows on the bellows light and airflow can easily be increased. To date the internal topper has always kept the interior dry.

The external topper was bought for heavy rain conditions or snow, but I have yet to encounter anything needing it to be used. So apart from an initial test fit it has never been fitted and has remained in its bag.

N

Nigel Whitwood

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'd be interested to know how many owners have neither, (as I have as yet to understand the need). Can this option be added?

BayCatOne

BayCatOne

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I was surprised to see so many German Cali owners not having one (or at least external) while in country for a week or so and it was raining quite heavily at times. Calis with foreign number plates, almost all of them had the external ones.

M

Martin Croft

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Good survey - thanks for doing this, Ive often wondered where the consensus is on this.

2020 freedom

2020 freedom

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'd be interested to know how many owners have neither, (as I have as yet to understand the need). Can this option be added?
I think 'need' is about mind set and experience and not everybody will need. But this...
If someone sleeps upstairs in low season and gets cold, either topper will provide extra insulation. Also how effective the bellows are at keeping you dry gets mixed reports so a poor experience with wet camping will have an influence and I think most people agree the bellows are not 100% waterproof.
For me, I just didn't want to get caught out so I bought an external topper and it has been very beneficial in snow and persistent 24hr rain. They also keep the van darker so in combination with all the blinds shut I sleep better.

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
... updated main thread with all data received so far

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
None here, not needed, never needed.
Just something else to pack and get wet (if external) and that includes camping at the alps in winter...

RonB

RonB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Survey completed, external Comfort version only, used for the odd out of season adventure, such as a couple of weeks on Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way or Scottish Islands in April, but not for later travels in May/June or September/October in mainland Europe. Primarily for heat insulation and keeping things dry, dries off easily and packs relatively small.