Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

External v's Internal Cali Topper - Survey

I was surprised to see so many German Cali owners not having one (or at least external) while in country for a week or so and it was raining quite heavily at times. Calis with foreign number plates, almost all of them had the external ones.

Good survey - thanks for doing this, Ive often wondered where the consensus is on this.

I'd be interested to know how many owners have neither, (as I have as yet to understand the need). Can this option be added?
I think 'need' is about mind set and experience and not everybody will need. But this...
If someone sleeps upstairs in low season and gets cold, either topper will provide extra insulation. Also how effective the bellows are at keeping you dry gets mixed reports so a poor experience with wet camping will have an influence and I think most people agree the bellows are not 100% waterproof.
For me, I just didn't want to get caught out so I bought an external topper and it has been very beneficial in snow and persistent 24hr rain. They also keep the van darker so in combination with all the blinds shut I sleep better.

... updated main thread with all data received so far

None here, not needed, never needed.
Just something else to pack and get wet (if external) and that includes camping at the alps in winter...

Survey completed, external Comfort version only, used for the odd out of season adventure, such as a couple of weeks on Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way or Scottish Islands in April, but not for later travels in May/June or September/October in mainland Europe. Primarily for heat insulation and keeping things dry, dries off easily and packs relatively small.

Back