Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

External v's Internal Cali Topper - Survey

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I've created a little 30 second survey on SurveyMonkey. The in-site survey creator is too "cumbersome"

I'd appreciate your responses. Once I have enough I'll make the results available here
Survey Link

EDIT: As of 04/08/19 + 31/07/19 I have 74 responses

1. Which type of topper have you purchased?
Answered: 72 Skipped: 2

Internal Topper:33.33% 24
External Topper:48.61% 35
Both:18.06% 13
TOTAL 72

2. If you bought an internal topper which of the following applies?
Answered: 66 Skipped: 8

It was initially purchased, installed and there it remains to this day: 56.06% 37
It was initially purchased, installed, removed and then kept elsewhere: 4.55% 3
It was initially purchased, installed, removed and then sold [up for sale]:1.52% 1
Not Applicable:37.88% 25
TOTAL 66

3. If you bought an internal topper and had to replace it, how likely would you be to get another one?
Answered: 67 Skipped: 7

Definitely would: 46.27% 31
Probably would: 5.97% 4
Probably would not: 1.49% 1
Definitely would not: 1.49% 1
Not Applicable: 44.78% 30
TOTAL 67

4. If you bought an external topper which of the following applies?

It was initially purchased and is constantly used when the need arises: 51.39% 37
It was initially purchased, used a small handful of times and then kept elsewhere: 16.67% 12
It was initially purchased, used a small handful of times and then sold [up for sale]: 5.56% 4
Not Applicable: 26.39% 19
TOTAL 72

5. If you bought an external topper and had to replace it, how likely would you be to get another one?

Definitely would: 29.17% 21
Probably would: 18.06% 13
Probably would not: 13.89% 10
Definitely would not: 9.72% 7
Not Applicable: 29.17% 21
TOTAL 72

6. If you bought both internal and external topper, which would you say gave the most value for money relative to usage?

Internal: 26.39% 19
External: 8.33% 6
Neither: 1.39% 1
Not Applicable. I haven't bought both types: 63.89% 46
TOTAL 72

Last edited:
Done it!
On the subject... I’ve got an external topper primarily to keep the weather out but I do find it a chore to put on and remove. My ideal solution would be a wrap around but made of a light weight material not the insulated stuff that is currently being used.

Done. There is no distinction between the "topper" type and the "wrap-around" type external covers and they are very different, not sure if that is relevant to your survey?

We've got the Comfortz wrap-around type and use it every time, it's great. Will be trying out the silver side in France in a couple of weeks to see how it performs in the heat.

Done. There is no distinction between the "topper" type and the "wrap-around" type external covers and they are very different, not sure if that is relevant to your survey?

We've got the Comfortz wrap-around type and use it every time, it's great. Will be trying out the silver side in France in a couple of weeks to see how it performs in the heat.

I agree. My only interest is "external" [having to be removed] v's "internal" [can be left in-situ]

Internal for us just easier, though it does make the inside darker during the day :(

If you have the ability to dry the Bellows at home then an Internal makes sense.
If you don’t have off street parking then an external makes sense.
My external is used occasionally in the depths of winter only.

17 responses to the survey so far :thumb
At about 25 I'll share the results as they stand so far

Done!

I only have the external at the moment, and the less I need to use it, the better. It means the weather is good enough.
It is expecially used when going for a 2 day drive to the desired place, when it is colder, damper and/or rainy.
Otherwise you wake up in the morning, have to close the roof totally wet, and when you close the wet roof, the water just sits through onto the mattress. The external topper, you just take it off in a few seconds, put it away in the bag, and drive off with a nice dry roof.

The internal I am still considering to buy, as I go on holidays in early april (easter weekend). One or two times I still had freezing temperatures, so then the internal might be very usefull to keep my toes and nose from freezing off upstairs.

Should I buy the internal or not?
Would I leave it on constantly, or only when it's freezing, or very cold?
Does it help against heat from outside?

Please convince me to buy or not to buy.

Internal for us just easier, though it does make the inside darker during the day :(
What internal one is that? Our internal one (Comfortz Cosi) is a light grey colour so does the opposite, lighter in the day and dark at night which suits me being a light sleeper.

We have the Brandrup one, bought second hand. It is a great addition, less drafts, warmer and darker for light mornings. Makes the van feel much more cosy, especially important with our 1 yr old. Would I buy a new one.....yes

I liked the idea of an internal topper, but didn't want to contend with any more material during the roof lowering process.

Even after 2.5 years of Beach ownership I still find it a faff trying to avoid pinching the bellows behind the roof clips. Would I swap it for an electric roof? No.

If I had to replace my external topper I would buy another but would take a look at the wrap around version.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

EDIT: As of 07/03/19 *+ 31/07/19 I have 42 responses
Numbers are rounded to 2 dp for simplicity

26% have purchased an internal topper
64% External
8% Both

Internal
99% of those that bought an internal topper, purchased one, installed it and there it remains to this day
1% removed then sold it
Without doubt, the internal topper has the greater loyalty
If forced to replace it: 86% definitely would, 12% probably would, 2% definitely would not

Am I odd in enjoying this sort of analysis!?

Something looks wrong, or I don’t understand, some of your percentages.

42 topper owners, 26% being internal topper buyers suggests 11 internal topper buyers.

The 99% and 1% figures look dubious. If one person bought then sold on, are you sure the figures are not 91% and 9%?

Am I odd in enjoying this sort of analysis!?

Something looks wrong, or I don’t understand, some of your percentages.

42 topper owners, 26% being internal topper buyers suggests 11 internal topper buyers.

The 99% and 1% figures look dubious. If one person bought then sold on, are you sure the figures are not 91% and 9%?
You forgot to include the 8% that have both.

You forgot to include the 8% that have both.

Good point.

34% of 42 is 14 people who bought an internal topper.

1 person immediately selling their topper would be 7%, while 93% hung on.

Perhaps the error is reading the calculation 1/14 = 0.07142857... as .007142857... and rounding to 1%.

Or maybe reading a hand written 1 (with a flick on the top) as a 7. But my observations have been that most people who write a 1 with a flick cross their 7s precisely to avoid this error.

What internal one is that? Our internal one (Comfortz Cosi) is a light grey colour so does the opposite, lighter in the day and dark at night which suits me being a light sleeper.
We have the Brandrup version very pleased with it but a bit on the expensive side

I do not have one, but I plan to buy an internal one. Since I'm lucky enough to not have a electrical roof :), I check if the canva fold inward when I close the roof, and I wonder if this check can be done with a topper?

We do not have either it may have been of interest to have a "do not us a topper" on the survey - given the number of members on this site the % of answers is low.

I have both.

The internal topper has stayed in place since first fitted and in my view is one of the best things I have bought for the Cali. It is a great ‘fit and forget solution’ which makes the roof bed much warmer, drier and cosier. As I like my sleep I also quite like the fact that it makes the roof space darker in the morning. However, by using the openings which match the windows on the bellows light and airflow can easily be increased. To date the internal topper has always kept the interior dry.

The external topper was bought for heavy rain conditions or snow, but I have yet to encounter anything needing it to be used. So apart from an initial test fit it has never been fitted and has remained in its bag.

I'd be interested to know how many owners have neither, (as I have as yet to understand the need). Can this option be added?

Back