Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Favourite non-factory options

We carted a collapsible toilet around Scandinavia and didn't use it once. If on campsites we use the campsite facilities, if wild camping we dig a latrine pit and fill in after use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Obviously not used CL sites.
Latrine pits are OK, when they can be used, but I prefer to contaminate the environment in a controlled rather than un-controlled manner and take all my rubbish with me and dispose as local policies dictate.

1 - Webasto diesel heater
2 - Rear sliding rack
3 - Webasto 40l fridge

^ With a Slidepod taking up the entire under boot where do you store your heavy gear on a trip?
What would you class as heavy gear?

All our Pots and pans, plates, and kitchen stuff that used to in a crate now goes inside there. Any food that doesnt need the fridge also goes in the pod. We have a drive away awning which we put in our roofbox or if we dont have that with us inside until we pitch it. The outdoor rev is very quick to pitch thankfully. We also have a pair of window bags for our clothes etc and the top of the parcel shelf also has plenty of space.

I have a video tour of my pod and van planned to show what fits inside in it. It's hard to explain but easy to show. :)

2017 top 3:
1. roof topper
2. bbq (cadac)
3. diesel to travel

2018 so far:
1. diesel heating to dry snowboard boots and gloves
2. air vent
3. front window cover

Am I the only person on the planet who’s not into Tits n Dragons?
I like tits. as for dragons...it's usually the owner of the tits that turns into one

A great thread, lots of good ideas.
For me, apart from one or two items already mentioned it has to be my folding suitcase style solar panel (120w).
If hookup not available (as I never plan anything) they look after those leisure’s with all the modern gizmos we seem to gather....

2017 top 3:
1. roof topper
2. bbq (cadac)
3. diesel to travel

2018 so far:
1. diesel heating to dry snowboard boots and gloves
2. air vent
3. front window cover
What does your air vent look like please. I also dry snowboarding gear in my Cali and crack a sliding window for ventilation but it’s not ideal.

A great thread, lots of good ideas.
For me, apart from one or two items already mentioned it has to be my folding suitcase style solar panel (120w).
If hookup not available (as I never plan anything) they look after those leisure’s with all the modern gizmos we seem to gather....
This sounds useful. I am planning to fit solar to my roof, but your option could work for me. How do you connect to your measure batteries please.

9ECC6B52-1C2B-4DBD-8041-C032D8B0548A.jpeg 9A87EAC5-5B02-47BE-9AF4-DEBD781F45E1.jpeg E30A64CD-47C9-4157-973D-16559A52E1F9.jpeg

External windscreen cover;
Small folding stool for easy access to roof;
Mini dehumidifier used all the time in winter as I dry kit in there after adventures.

What are your three favourite accessories for your Cali.

Everyone is allowed basic kitchen and dining accessories: saucepan, frying pan, kettle, cutlery, crockery, cups, glasses, washing up bowl etc. In addition, Beach owners are allowed a double burner stove and 28 litre compressor fridge. Upgrades such as bone china crockery, steak knives, BBQ set, herb and spice set, wine cooler, etc are not included and would be an accessory.

My three favourite accessories:
Solar panels
Driveaway awning
Jackyards' seat covers

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

What does your air vent look like please. I also dry snowboarding gear in my Cali and crack a sliding window for ventilation but it’s not ideal.

I use the ReimoAir vent
14bc04332626baed29dc1527df762760.jpg

Oooo, I do like that - can you fit much in it?

There are just 2x of us who travel (plus small dog) and we find it adequate for our needs. It's more efficient to pack with cans of beer/tonic than glass bottles, but that's just a case of maximising space. It will take a bottle of wine, and a large milk bottle.

We have traveled for month-long trips, with no real issues..... Sometimes we have to remove the beers, to store meat for a BBQ, but the beers soon cool again once re-insterted when the meat is cooking.....

We generally hold, milk, cheese, butter, yogurts, beer, tonic and some meats in the fridge. Eggs, peppers, onions, bread, granola all stay in the side pocket.

The extra cup holders are a perk also, and the fridge is strong enough to stand on when climbing up-top (I'm 14st.)

Last edited:
Thanks Sapto. This is the first time I've seen these referred to, lots of talk about the cabin window version but not this side window one . I was concerned about getting cabin window vents when I've bought a thermal windscreen cover which also blocks the side cabin Windows , so this could be a great solution :thumb

I am very happy with this one and as a front window cover Inuse the external Brandrup one.

Seeing it's mid Winter, we've totally appreciated external insulated windscreen cover, and with roof up the whole,time the Brandrup inner roof liner has been magic - with the heater put on 1 halfway through he night we've slept in sleeping bags down to minus 7 with no condensation. Friends have insulated high top and have condensation issues. Going to check out that cinema kit now Jonathan :)

Back