Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Favourite non-factory options

Yes.
There are various makes available. I think the genuine after market VW offerings stick to the outside of the door frame which I wasn't keen on. We decided to fit "Dubflectas". One set on our previous Cali and the second on our current van. They fit into the felt window seals with metal clips and are IMO excellent. They are not dificult to fit as long as you follow their instructions. There is also a very good short video on YouTube that is worth watching before you start if you go down the Dubfecta route. There are also other makes but I have no experience of those.

I guess it just a matter of taste, I have them on my Discovery and they are more like the Retro ones. The Disco one just pushed in from memory.

I take it you mean this sort of thing?

View attachment 29092
There are also Heko ones which have good write ups around the Internet. They fit into the window channel like the Dubflectas - various posters have said that both of these can be a little difficult to fit if you have the laminated cab window option. Otherwise it seems to just come down to personal preference for the style. The VW ones stick on as has bee said above, and I think that I've read that they can be difficult to remove.

I’ve one from Silver Screens.

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

When not in use, folds and stores between the seats in the tailgate, handy as sometimes needs put away wet.... It needs to be fully dried before medium/long term storage to prevent moulding.

Well that has to be the worst website in existence!

Good screens though :)

1. Ridge monkey....came into its own at Christmas when the raclet kept blowing the fuse in the house!
2. Single camping gas burner. Cooked outside on it every day when touring France....one pot cook expert!
3. Outwell collapsible kettle..brilliant
And as an extra we took an old yoga mat and that has proved sooo useful from a bike maintence mat to a clean surface for muddy boot change overs!
But that’s just the beginning, our list of things we use a lot is extensive!

Ridge Monkey? (I thought they made Carp Gear)

Done some searching I assume you mean the Quad Connect Stove...

Last edited:
This sounds useful. I am planning to fit solar to my roof, but your option could work for me. How do you connect to your measure batteries please.

Hi California4x4,
It was not too difficult to hook up.
I had to take into consideration the size of the cable as the 120watt panels can generate a fair bit of power so a cable being able to carry 10 amps or more is required. Also fuse protection is needed.
The foldup panels I bought from amazon have a regulator with overcharge protection built in. This protection is Must!

In my stock of various cables I had a cable that included a three pin plug similar to that used by many appliances in the kitchen. It was a good 4m in length. This I wired to the folding panels.
I also had a lead with the female version for this plug that I connected to the rear leasure battery via an in-line 15amp fuse.
The socket or free end pops up via the lower shelf inside the rear locker and is held in place via a small clip when not in use.
When needed I just connect panels and close rear door. I found that there is more than enough space and thickness in the door rubber seal in the lower corners when closed for the cable to freely pass through.

I store the panels when not in use folded flat in the storage under the bed rack, they take up little space.

When in use I also take the extra precaution to secure panels to the wheel via a length of chain to a wheel.

I will try and take a few pics of the whole installation today if it would help you further.

Cheers and good luck.

FA3A665B-1CCE-418F-9826-DC785119A85E.jpeg 2693E81C-0CFC-4B18-AC05-77431BE8BB59.jpeg EFCF196F-90CE-4871-89DC-DD2D0A476455.jpeg BD403AE3-5EAA-4E78-85E5-A37E77A0C3E8.jpeg
This sounds useful. I am planning to fit solar to my roof, but your option could work for me. How do you connect to your measure batteries please.

Hi California4x4,

Just taken a few picks of my solar panel hookup, sorry they are not too brill as it is hammering down here at the moment.
There are a few threads on here to do with solar panels. Either permanently attached or portable. Indeed I found a lot of useful information from many members which helped me with my decision to go portable.

My hookup not only has the hookup that plugs into the socket shown in the photo's but also has a plug that plugs into the twelve volt socket that is in most modern cars.
I also knocked up a lead with the large croc clips for direct connection to a battery.

With having a regulator/overcharge protection unit within the panel assembly I can safely if needed use the clips to directly connect onto the engine battery to top that up. Or any other car.
The folding panel is shown folded in an old tvbox which sits below the bed frame taking up little space.

I hope it gives some helpful ideas, pm me if I can help further..

Good luck.

View attachment 29274 View attachment 29275 View attachment 29276 View attachment 29277

Hi California4x4,

Just taken a few picks of my solar panel hookup, sorry they are not too brill as it is hammering down here at the moment.
There are a few threads on here to do with solar panels. Either permanently attached or portable. Indeed I found a lot of useful information from many members which helped me with my decision to go portable.

My hookup not only has the hookup that plugs into the socket shown in the photo's but also has a plug that plugs into the twelve volt socket that is in most modern cars.
I also knocked up a lead with the large croc clips for direct connection to a battery.

With having a regulator/overcharge protection unit within the panel assembly I can safely if needed use the clips to directly connect onto the engine battery to top that up. Or any other car.
The folding panel is shown folded in an old tvbox which sits below the bed frame taking up little space.

I hope it gives some helpful ideas, pm me if I can help further..

Good luck.
That is incredibly helpful and informative. I like what you’ve done. Thank you for taking the time.

Yes, it does. I slide it back, rotate the seats, then slide it back into position again.... Unless, I decided to use it as a foot stool.

This fridge looks great, and I would love to do this. That said, doesn't that make it awkward using the handbrake? And how do you secure it safely?... If it's just wedged between the seats, couldn't it fly out in the event of a crash?

This fridge looks great, and I would love to do this. That said, doesn't that make it awkward using the handbrake? And how do you secure it safely?... If it's just wedged between the seats, couldn't it fly out in the event of a crash?

No issues with handbrake, and it’s easliy secured as much as deemed sufficient really.

Back