Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire Extinguisher/Blanket

Some good advice. However, fairly soon I will be driving in Bulgaria where having a fire extinguisher in the van is mandatory with police handing out on the spot fines for motorists found not complying with this requirement. In order to avoid the situation I found myself in here in Italy (driving on some roads where the carrying of snow chains is mandatory at certain times of the year, but not having snow chains), I intend to buy a car fire extinguisher before entering Bulgaria.

What should I look for, or should I just buy the cheapest I can find with the expectation of never having to use it? I'm now imagining the nightmare scenario of a car fire with a child securely strapped in a safety seat.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
A 2kg dry powder extinguisher should by ideal for a Cali. It's suitable for most classes of fire and is a good general purpose solution.

I have just tried to look up any requirements applicable to Bulgaria and whilst I didn't find anything specific, I did discover a comment stating these local conditions as reported by someone who has been there recently:
  • the fire extinguisher should have a meter and the arrow should be in the green section
  • it should have a certification sticker showing date of purchase/inspection; you should have it re-certified every 12 months.
Whilst almost, if not all new 2kg Dry Powder extinguishers will have both these features, I would suggest hanging onto the sales receipt as proof of the date of purchase.

Great blog.

A 2kg dry powder extinguisher should by ideal for a Cali. It's suitable for most classes of fire and is a good general purpose solution.

I have just tried to look up any requirements applicable to Bulgaria and whilst I didn't find anything specific, I did discover a comment stating these local conditions as reported by someone who has been there recently:
  • the fire extinguisher should have a meter and the arrow should be in the green section
  • it should have a certification sticker showing date of purchase/inspection; you should have it re-certified every 12 months.
Whilst almost, if not all new 2kg Dry Powder extinguishers will have both these features, I would suggest hanging onto the sales receipt as proof of the date of purchase.

Great blog.
Thanks for the info - I'll look out for an appropriate one in the bigger supermarkets or failing that go to a car parts shop.

Clare flew with Ben to Stansted yesterday to go and visit her dad, so I'm left in a charmingly dilapidated farmhouse about 40 minutes from Palermo bonding with Jack (2 3/4) and Meg.
0e30d09bfe5c64a3576e422c7c5651a8.jpg

We have orange, mandarin and lemon trees in our garden, all beautifully ripe.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Back