Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fire Extinguisher/Blanket

Just watched a video of it being used by a fire department. Just the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of getting one of these.

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/1-litre-water-mist-fire-extinguisher/?gclid=CLWPxYbjlcwCFfAy0wod7dUFHQ

Any views? Has anyone got one or even used one? They are supposedly usable on most types of fire and leave no damage.
I have recently had some fire extinguishers put in at home and asked about one for the Cali. They recommended a water mist one as it can be used on most types of fires.
Dry powder, apparently do damage to anything electrical which could mean a big repair to electrical items and make a dreadful mess.
CO2 need to be big enough to put a fire out and may then be hard to store.
We ended up with a 2 litre water mist which I store behind the drivers seat so I can reach and use it from outside the side door if I have to use it.

Last edited:
DSC02981.JPG Each to his/her own. If you want something that is much bigger, pressurised and weighs 4 times as much (and has lots of snaggly bits on it!) then go for a traditional type extinguisher.

The Firetool extinguisher does the same/similar/better job with all types of fire at a similar price (and looks cool!)

With it located on the unit behind the Cali passenger seat I still have room to put a waste bin and a coat (and have the bandrup storage pockets on the back of the seat.)

I have one in my car (Eos) as well...

13007087_10204548146342076_7931612750507948084_n.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever type of extinguisher you have personally I think they should be fitted near doors, not on the other side of the van.
Like granny jen we have one in the drivers door pocket and another mounted on the back of the wardrobe behind the tailgate.

I have attended hundreds of vehicle fires ( yes, really hundreds) in the 27yrs that I served as a fulltime Firefighter. I have seen many "have a go hero's" being transported to A & E by paramedics after trying to tackle a fire with an extinguisher, the old advice of "get out and stay out" is still the best option.

Each to his/her own. If you want something that is much bigger, pressurised and weighs 4 times as much (and has lots of snaggly bits on it!) then go for a traditional type extinguisher.

The Firetool extinguisher does the same/similar/better job with all types of fire at a similar price (and looks cool!)

With it located on the unit behind the Cali passenger seat I still have room to put a waste bin and a coat (and have the bandrup storage pockets on the back of the seat.)

Ordered. Ease of use was a big consideration and if the fire is any bigger than this can handle then I'll not be tackling it anyway. Thanks all.

I was told by our works Fire Officer. Get out. Stay out and raise the alarm.
I have an extinguisher for external use. Having experienced one vehicle fire I will let the Insurance deal with it. Just my personal take on it. :thumb

DSC00278.JPG I (sometimes) have one of these on the back of my Cali as well for dealing with the bigger fires .........

(it now also has a few Firetools as part of its equipment as well as a "Firexpress" fire fighting system.)

933894_4518975110886_563302083_n.jpg

Last edited:
Each to his/her own. If you want something that is much bigger, pressurised and weighs 4 times as much (and has lots of snaggly bits on it!) then go for a traditional type extinguisher.

This looks like a really interesting piece of kit. The claims made in the website are impressive but there is no explanation of how it works and what it contains? Also, googling it doesn't throw up any opinion other than that available on the manufacturer's website. I take your point about the larger size and weight of water mist extinguishers but there is plenty of opinion of them from the fire service and others that backs up the manufacturer's claims.

Can anyone provide any links to further information about these extinguishers?

Thanks.

There are actually several other videos on this product in action but you will have to use one of its other names if you do a search (it is also called "Quick-draw 1" & West Peace JE-50 in other countries).
Here is another video of it in action.

It uses a potassium compound/microparticles (It is on the front page of their website) FAQ's ..... as per :

Firetool Portable Fire Extinguishers
A Firetool Portable Fire extinguisher is the ideal fire exintguisher to protect your Home, Office, Caravan or Workplace from the danger of fire. The revolutionary design is small, light and easy to use. Firetool works with all types of fire including liquid fires, gas fires and electrical fires and is maintenance free for 5 years. Firetool is environmentally friendly, toxic free and fully tested and certified. Dont just take our word for it, independent tests carried out by the West Midlands Fire service found Firetool portable extinguishers to be outstanding. Take a look at the full range including the Firetool JE-50, JE-100 and JE-150, all models are available to order online now.

Frequently Asked Questions
YOU'LL ALREADY HAVE THE SOLUTION TO HAND.

WHAT IS AN AEROSOL GENERATOR?
An aerosol generator is a self contained extinguishing unit that contains an aerosol forming compound which, during a controlled combustion process within the generator, produces an ultra-fine aerosol extinguishing agent that is significantly more effective that current available alternatives. The unites are constructed of stainless steel components, are listed for both area and volumetric coverage and required no piping, nozzles, or other distribution equipment. In effect, the generator acts as its own storage, production and delivery device.

IS IT SAFE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
Yes. Firetool has no global warming potential and no ozone depletion potential.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
A highly stable solid charge of the aerosol forming composition is contained within the sealed generator. Upon activation of the initiator, the charge begins a controlled burn producing an ultra-fine aerosol, which is ten times as effective as any agent currently on the market. The effective aerosol passes through a series of oxidation and cooling filters, where the temperature of the aerosol is rapidly reduced before it escapes through the discharge ports of the generator at low pressure. Generator placement within the hazard area provides proper flow and distribution of the highly effective aerosol within the protected volume.

ARE THE AEROSOL GENERATORS RE-CHARGEABLE AFTER DISCHARGE?
No. The units are designed for single use only. After discharge turnaround time is minimized as re-connection of a new generator is quickly and easily accomplished.

HOW DOES IT EXTINGUISH FIRES?
Unlike other agents that work by reducing oxygen levels or by cooling, the aerosol extinguishes by chemical interaction with the free radicals that fuel the growth of the fire — in the same manner as halon did. The aerosol stream contains ultra-fine (1-2 micron) particles of potassium compounds that provide a large surface area interaction with the fire. In the fire zone the free potassium radicals bind with the free radicals of the fire (O, OH, H) to rapidly slow and extinguish the fire.

The rest of info is too long to put on this post but is located here; http://www.firetool.co.uk/

Heaps more info on the parent company website here; http://www.westpeace.com/

Part of my last job (operating a big powerstation) was also being a fully trained fireman in the emergency team. So I do know a bit about fire fighting and extinguishers & I agree that this is a good bit of kit (especially having used large powder type extinguishers on numerous occasions to extinguish oil fires on our turbines. It is a shame they were not about then as we would have had a lot less clearing up to do (& spent considerably less time afterwards sat on the toilet after using blue powder extinguishers!).

Last edited:
As a retired firefighter, I have been reading the posts on this threat with interest but at the same time not really wishing to comment. That was a previous life and a long time ago now.

However I feel that I must strongly advise against getting involved in trying to deal with anything much bigger than a smoldering tea towel. If you have an actual fire in your Cali then don't mess about, quickly get your family and pets out, call the fire service and stay well clear. Vehicle fires can develop rapidly and can involve a range of serious hazards including highly toxic smoke and explosion, to name but two. Once you start dealing with a small fire you may be drawn into continuing long past the point where it was safe to do so. However nice or expensive, no vehicle is worth getting injured for.

Regarding fire extinguishers, they are of course, as the name implies, for extinguishing fires. However, their principal purpose is not to turn the user into a firefighter but to aid their escape.

Personally, I have made a full photgraphic inventory of every thing that we have in our Cali and if we are ever unfortunate enough to suffer a fire then after leaving the vehicle it will be the Fire Service that I call first and the insurance company next.

Last edited:
That's worth thinking about - I remember 40-odd years ago when we were involved in car rallies, we always carried an extinguisher, but the only time I saw a car fire, all they had time to do was get out and away from the car. Made a bit of a nonsense of our 'precautions'.

Is there? I found the first aid kit and warning triangle there - but not a fire blanket. I'm going to look.

Edit. @Tink - All I have at the back of the cupboard is this

View attachment 13308

This is a first aid kit and warning triangle. Did you also get a fire blanket?

I purchased a 1m x 1m fire vlanket and fixed it to the front of the bench seat next to the drawer.

View attachment 13309

I am thinking of also getting a water mist extinguisher as they can be used on pretty much anything and don't leave the damage that powder, foam (or even water) does. But I'm I want to try to see one first to work out where I can mount it.
Thats handy, thanks - been struggling (well, you know what I mean) with best place for the blanket.

Reactions: DM
Ok...

It happened to me.

This morning. Put the kettle on for my morning coffee. Gas burner closest to the fridge.

Got out my coffee, one of those one-cup filter things, plastic cup-type thing for pouring water into. Cup. Plate.

I put the filter cup on top of the fridge but needed to get into the fridge so moved it off onto the corner of the cooker top by the fridge.

Got the milk out, suddenly thought of something that I needed from the boot, dashed out of the door, opened tailgate, was rummaging around when I saw a sheet of flame. Dashed back in to see the plastic filter thing in flames and the stuff put back on to the fridge top catching fire. Fire blanket in the overhead locker worked brilliantly.

Not a big fire, in retrospect a bit of flame and smoke, but could have been so worse. What I deduced was that with front cab windows open when I opened the rear tailgate I must have created a through draught that fanned the gas ring flames towards the plastic filter, which caught fire frighteningly easy, setting stuff alongside in flames.

What I also deduced was that a fire blanket is essential and no use having it stowed in any of the kitchen cupboards.

Oh yes, I also deduced how stupid I am and a mental note never to be so careless again.

Goodness, that sounds somewhat scary; hope you are OK, and really appreciate the post - shows just how easily these things happen - thank you

Mark

Goodness, that sounds somewhat scary; hope you are OK, and really appreciate the post - shows just how easily these things happen - thank you

Mark

Thank you Mark,

Happened literally in seconds and had my usual litter been piled on top of the fridge it could have been a lot worse.Fortunately I was in the process of tidying up to get moving rather than the other way around. I'm normally hugely careful about having anything near those gas rings when lit. was only a few seconds...

It happens in the blink of an eye , glad you managed to put the fire out pretty quick with the blanket...
Is there any visible damage part from your ego;)and guess smelll

Last edited:
It happens in the blink of an eye , glad you managed to put the fire out pretty quick with the blanket...
Is there ny visible damage part from your ego;)and guess smelll

i've got some nasty burn marks on the cooker top but I can clean them off once I get home. Fortunately top was up, all vents open, cab windows open so no residual smell.

A definite must have now wherever I go. Normally I have all sorts piled up on the fridge top, anything flammable would have been blazing in no time.

We all like to think it wouldn't happen to us, but that just shows how easy it is to get it wrong!

Sorry to read about your incident and very glad you resolved it so well.
Thank you for sharing it, a useful reminder how easily things can go wrong.
Glad to hear that you are OK. Simon

Hello GJ,
I am glad that you managed to deal with your fire successfully and that poor Albert isn't on the sick list. I also hope the marks come out on your cooker top. It is a very sobering tale for all Cali owners.

Obviously, for anyone experiencing an incident like this, it is human nature to make a split second decision about how to deal with it but please please be careful folks. If you do have an actual fire in your Cali you will not be wearing Nomex, Kevlar or an aluminised close proximity fire fighting suit as seen in a previous post on this thread. You will almost certainly be wearing minimal light weight leisure clothing and may also have bare arms, legs, neck and face. The chances of getting yourself burnt are extremely high. Vehicle fires can develop extremely rapidly so please.......

get out pdq, stay out and call the fire service. It really isn't worth the risk. If you get it wrong you may end up with disfiguring and possibly even debilitating injuries that may well effect you for the rest of your life. Its only a vehicle and can be replaced.

However I feel that I must strongly advise against getting involved in trying to deal with anything much bigger than a smoldering tea towel. If you have an actual fire in your Cali then don't mess about, quickly get your family and pets out, call the fire service and stay well clear. Vehicle fires can develop rapidly and can involve a range of serious hazards including highly toxic smoke and explosion, to name but two. Once you start dealing with a small fire you may be drawn into continuing long past the point where it was safe to do so. However nice or expensive, no vehicle is worth getting injured for.

Regarding fire extinguishers, they are of course, as the name implies, for extinguishing fires. However, their principal purpose is not to turn the user into a firefighter but to aid their escape.

Some good advice. However, fairly soon I will be driving in Bulgaria where having a fire extinguisher in the van is mandatory with police handing out on the spot fines for motorists found not complying with this requirement. In order to avoid the situation I found myself in here in Italy (driving on some roads where the carrying of snow chains is mandatory at certain times of the year, but not having snow chains), I intend to buy a car fire extinguisher before entering Bulgaria.

What should I look for, or should I just buy the cheapest I can find with the expectation of never having to use it? I'm now imagining the nightmare scenario of a car fire with a child securely strapped in a safety seat.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Back