fitting towel rail checking how

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
:help Has anyone fitted Brandrup clothes hook with towel rail to their van if so can you advise how you fitted as the translation on the instruction is not all that clear. The way I am understanding is you drill into the metal frame of the roof which is just above the internal plastic trim then use self taping screws supplied. Plus the hanging rail has to be pulled tight, just want to check it out I have it right before I drill holes !!!! Many thanks

Sorry I can't help with the fitting but when I looked at them drilling ruled me out straight away.

Have you googled any pictures for confirmation?

thanks Stu I will have a google see if anything comes up, it must be simple but drilling got my alarm bells going hence want to know I am getting it right

Yes I have one, that's exactly how you fit it, easy even for a DIY dummy like me.......

:thanks
BerndRos also being a DIY dummy wanted so advise

If i remember correctly (I fitted ours back in early summer) the screws they provide are self cutting so you cut the hole with them and they tighten up in a single go.

The one key thing to get right is the amount of pre-tension - i.e. the space between the holes.

I can measure ours if you like as i'm quite happy with the amount of tension on it.

The trim you drill through is a thin single skin.

Simon

Simon thanks measurement would be helpful :thanks

I also emailed Brandrup and got the below reply

This is the text from the instruction manual:

Attach the clothes hooks to the metal frame of the roof section (horizontal seam above the plastic interior lining, c.p.

illustration) with the enclosed selfdrilling high-quality steel screws. Cautiously introduce the screws directly into the

lining with a drilling machine. The emerging swarf has to be removed immediately. The distance between the clothes

hooks with integrated towl rail has to be approx. 3-5 cm longer than the length of the slack cord.

You do not have to make wholes before as the screws are self drilling. So just use the screws and drill them into the lining.

I would always make a very small pilot hole as screws tend to slip :thumb even self drilling ones

I will make a tiny hole as looking a these self tappers I cant see how they will go in where I want them to go :thanks

838mm was our centre-to-centre distance

I found this less scary than drilling the new shelf holes in the kitchen (due to the toilet)

Simon

Suns out in Hampshire, so roof up towel rail fitted no issues thanks for all the words of advise :hello

I bought a set of these as well, and aborted mission after seeing the rudimentary nature of the installation.... I use one of the twisty elastic versions with hooks. I love Brandrup stuff, but for me these were not up to the usual standard of design. Just my opinion.

Interesting, just getting round to this. BUT all I have is two hooks, the screws and washers. What is the towel rail? What does it consist of? What length is it and how does it attach? A photograph would be great....

Thanks in anticipation

Back