Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France Covid-19 GOV Advice

B J G

B J G

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Latest GOV FO advice for UK travellers in France is to return to the UK immediately.

the advice appears to be based on escalating terrorist activity plus the Lockdown now being introduced.

The 14 day quarantine on return remains in force.

Latest GOV FO advice for UK travellers in France is to return to the UK immediately.

the advice appears to be based on escalating terrorist activity plus the Lockdown now being introduced.

I saw on the news that Parisians are en-masse evacuating to their second homes ahead of the second wave lockdown.

I wonder if they receive the frosty reception at their Breton cottages that Londoners might receive in Cornwall.

Or are the French more welcoming to distressed families trying to escape “la peste”, treating them as people in need rather than vermin.

I saw on the news that Parisians are en-masse evacuating to their second homes ahead of the second wave lockdown.

I wonder if they receive the frosty reception at their Breton cottages that Londoners might receive in Cornwall.

Or are the French more welcoming to distressed families trying to escape “la peste”, treating them as people in need rather than vermin.

I suspect they have the same media and social media in France where examples are taken and then used to create division. Either by showing isolated examples of placard waiving locals or poor behaviour by visitors.

Mike

I suspect they have the same media and social media in France where examples are taken and then used to create division. Either by showing isolated examples of placard waiving locals or poor behaviour by visitors.

Mike

Except it wasn’t isolated examples used to create division, there is a general widespread objection to second home owners, and wild camping by the Cornish.

Is your second home in Bristol, or Cornwall?

Except it wasn’t isolated examples used to create division, there is a general widespread objection to second home owners, and wild camping by the Cornish.

Second home owners are an easy target. Many forget that they pay the same council tax as everyone else but use a fraction of the services. I think I recall someone saying that Truro Hospital is the only hospital in the country to have greater capacity in winter than in summer.

This thread was clearly clearly created by the OP to provide information and not as a platform for views already expressed on countless other threads.

Mike

Bump OP

Mike

Oh yes. It'll be mayhem in places like Ile de Rê. Last time around they got their cars keyed and were seen as a major burden with local doctors, dentists etc.

Oh yes. It'll be mayhem in places like Ile de Rê. Last time around they got their cars keyed and were seen as a major burden with local doctors, dentists etc.

I’m guessing that like the well resourced Truro hospital servicing Cornwall, the burden is a selfish perception rather than a reality?

I’m guessing that like the well resourced Truro hospital servicing Cornwall, the burden is a selfish perception rather than a reality?
Well resourced , to some extent but not regarding ICU/HDU capability. Exeter and Bristol are backup. A bit more than a bus ride away, unlike in London.

quick question, rather general but don't you also go into lock-down in the UK?
Keep it safe

Well resourced , to some extent but not regarding ICU/HDU capability. Exeter and Bristol are backup. A bit more than a bus ride away, unlike in London.
I’m avoiding busses like the Plague at the moment. When I took Ben to St Thomases’ the other day we cycled. But I take your point - backup is close to hand in London: there are about ten major hospitals within cycling distance of our home.

It has not yet been announced, but a four week lockdown from Thursday is likely to be announced.
ok, stay safe and take care of yourselves.

quick question, rather general but don't you also go into lock-down in the UK?
Keep it safe
Luckily this time we may drive around in our car (California), even for not necessary trips. So we can go hiking elsewhere, and not be bothered by the 2nd home owners here at the seaside.
Now we can get out and find a quiet place to go hiking.

It was worse than that during the first lock down.

Friends of ours who live down here fancied a change of scene for their daily exercise and were going to catch the ferry a couple of hundred yards to the village on the other side of the river to walk a different part of the coastal path the ferryman advised they would not be welcome and refused to take them.

Luckily this time we may drive around in our car (California), even for not necessary trips. So we can go hiking elsewhere, and not be bothered by the 2nd home owners here at the seaside.
Now we can get out and find a quiet place to go hiking.

It will be interesting to see the text of Britain’s new lockdown laws when published on Thursday. In today’s press conference the Prime Minister made it explicitly clear that click and collect non essential shopping was fine (e.g. collecting pre ordered chickens).

For the record from someone who lives in Cornwall - Our only hospital at Treliske is FULL - on a number of occasions over the past week double figures of ambulances waiting to unload sick patients ( But no beds ) they have even made request on the local BBC news slots asking families to collect anyone they can and take them home as there is no resources. On the second homes issue - many are let out as a small business, attracting small business relief which negates the need to pay any council tax on the property. So the council gets nothing, but have to provide all the same service. There’s a lot of negative posts on here, but IF these few knew all the facts, before just thinking about YOUR holiday (poor you) had some compassion, practiced social distance, didn’t travel from a Tier3 location, perhaps the R rate would not be on the increase, we could see our families and today’s announcement could have been avoided. But hey, the holiday season is about over and us locals can mop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the record from someone who lives in Cornwall - Our only hospital at Treliske is FULL - on a number of occasions over the past week double figures of ambulances waiting to unload sick patients ( But no beds ) they have even made request on the local BBC news slots asking families to collect anyone they can and take them home as there is no resources. On the second homes issue - many are let out as a small business, attracting small business relief which negates the need to pay any council tax on the property. So the council gets nothing, but have to provide all the same service. There’s a lot of negative posts on here, but IF these few knew all the facts, before just thinking about YOUR holiday (poor you) had some compassion, practiced social distance, didn’t travel from a Tier3 location, perhaps the R rate would not be on the increase, we could see our families and today’s announcement could have been avoided. But hey, the holiday season is about over and us locals can mop up.

So the threats of arson and criminal damage against completely innocent full timers and second home owners, in Cornwall completely legally, in their own country, who incidentally pay income tax, VAT, road tax, stamp duty, corporation tax, fuel duty, and national insurance people are justified are they? On the basis that the local hospital is full and you pay council tax, and these visitors leave a mess for you to clear up?
Cornwall doesn’t just belong to the people who happen to live there. I can’t wait to visit, wild camp and spend no money when allowed to do so again. I might even buy a second home there so I can avoid paying council tax on it.

Hey I didn’t say any of this, your post is so negative !

I live here, pay tax and happy for people to visit, never posted anything to say stay away but recent posts from a few on here stating they need to come down to escape as if we’re immune ?

We should all try to limit the spread, work together

Hey I didn’t say any of this, your post is so negative !

I live here, pay tax and happy for people to visit, never posted anything to say stay away but recent posts from a few on here stating they need to come down to escape as if we’re immune ?

We should all try to limit the spread, work together

These rural communities always say they are happy to welcome responsible visitors, whilst simultaneously making every effort to make responsible visitors unwelcome.it’s so hypocritical.

A Farmer in Cornwall see's a bloke drinking from his stream
He shouts, "Wozzon! Ee den wanna be drinkin dat, t'is fulla horse wee wee an cow sing".

The bloke says "I'm from london and just purchased a property in the village can you speak bit slower please".

The Farmer replies "If - you -use - two - hands - you - won't - spill - any"!!!!!

Well the few, as usual post such negative and stereotypical comments. I’m proud to be a Cornish, camper van owner, oh did I mention, we have a holiday rental business. Over the past few months, some of the dribble posted on here, is edging this once great informative site into nothing more than Facebook, such a shame.

Last edited:
Must admit when I first came on here, first question I had to ask was if it was a VW CalI forum as it did seem to go off on some very odd and confusing directions. Although up until this thread it’s been pretty good for a few months

Well the few, as usual post such negative and stereotypical comments. I’m proud to be a Cornish, camper van owner, oh did I mention, we have a holiday rental business. Over the past few months, some of the dribble posted on here, is edging this once great informative site into nothing more than Facebook, such a shame.

How ironic.

Back